THE GREAT DICTATOR as AH

I've not seen this Charlie Chaplin classic since highschool- but does his satirical depiction of Adenoid Hynkel & his Jewish barber double- together with his incongruously making a speech for world peace- constitue a form of AH ?

It's got made up countries, historical analogues, hilarious but implausible events, so at best it'd qualify as an Alternate Universe.

I've not seen this Charlie Chaplin classic since highschool- but does his satirical depiction of Adenoid Hynkel & his Jewish barber double- together with his incongruously making a speech for world peace- constitue a form of AH ?

Not even close.

The Great Dictator is more satire than anything else. It isn't trying to create an alternate world, simply to poke fun at the Hitler regime.

Also, I do recommend watching it. It might not be AH, but it is still a damn good film.

The Great Dictator is more satire than anything else. It isn't trying to create an alternate world, simply to poke fun at the Hitler regime.

Also, I do recommend watching it. It might not be AH, but it is still a damn good film.

"Sir, the workers are complaining about the sawdust in the bread."

"Why should they? It's from the finest lumber!"

:D