MoF 05: Cold War: UK vs US

MoF 05 was suggested by OAM47:

MoF_05__Title_by_Raven_the_5th.png

Rules: The map must depict a cold war between the United States of America and the United Kingdom. The form of governments and the time period of the conflict are not specified.

Please leave all the discussion in this thread. This map is for maps only.

The contest ends on the 10th of October 1300 GMT.

The Glass Curtain

I'm using UCS for clarity and to better concentrate on the history.

The white supremacist christian fundamentalist U.S.A. is in a state of cold war with the more cosmopolitan British Empire, which follows Britanism (see Thread). The Holy Roman Empire under a surviving hapsburg dinasty is a US ally, while the Russian Federation is mostly a US puppet.
The union of Kalmar is a British ally, as is Japan.
The United Kingdom of Great Britain is in personal union with the kingdom of France, and in a dinastic alleance with the commonwealth of Poland-Lithuania.
The Ottoman Empire is a covert British protectorate, while China is in an ever shifting alleance with one of another of the others.
The Kingdom of the netherland declared independence from HRE with British help (That was the Casus Belli for GWI) however the HRE didn't give up claim yet.
In standard US color are the demilitarized zones estabilished soon after the First Global War, the Second Global War and the Vietnam War.
The red line is the Mason-Dixon Line (estabilished after GWI) while the blue line is the so called "Glass Curtain", that also cuts Manhattan from "Fortress Brooklim".
After the defeat in Vietnam, Britain imposed to US some improvement on human rights, such as the liberation of Black slaves. Now however the new US president, some guy named George W. Bush, is pushing congress toward rejecting the "unfair, unilateral peace conditions", which may start a new war....

MOTFN1.GIF

Last edited:
The text in the map explains it all. OTL state borders are included for reference, but have no meaning ITTL.

Coldwar.png

Thande

Donor
I have decided to throw my hat into the ring.

The map follows below to avoid word wrap issues as I give this rough sketch of the scenario:

A series of minor PODs in the late 19th century lead to no rapproachments between Britain and both the US and the Russian Empire: for example, both the Guyana land dispute and the Great Game in India remain active into the twentieth century. Instead Britain is somewhat closer to Germany, though overall she remains more aloof than OTL.

Due to different outcomes to the Balkan Wars, the equivalent of WW1 is delayed until 1919, by which time Russia has considerably modernised its army and supply networks, and thus even though Britain and the United States stay out of the war, the Central Powers are still defeated by 1921. France spearheads a European Defence League designed to put a cordon sanitaire around Germany and her allies, but this ends up succeeding in the west only, as Russian resentments with political liberalisation not keeping pace with technological advancement leading to revolution exploding in 1928. Austria-Hungary on the other hand, though losing some territory in alt-WW1, successfully accommodates its own nationalist problems with reform. During this era the League of Neutral Nations is founded in Scandinavia, which many decolonised countries will go on to join.

A revanchist German government (though far milder than the Nazis) attacks Russia in 1930 and succeeds in regaining more than her prewar eastern borders and creating a puppet Poland, though the strength of the EDL in the west dissuades the Germans from trying to reclaim Alsace-Lorraine as well. On the other hand, no-one wants to come to the aid of the Russians, as their civil war is won by radical communist elements who promptly spread the revolution to the eastern Balkans. The war comes to an end in 1932 with German-EDL tensions easing as both see themselves as agents of civilisation against the eastern communists. However, communist Russia is far weaker than OTL's Soviet Union and is not considered more of a threat than a source of propaganda by the western capitalist powers, Britain and the United States.

Freed from commitments in Europe, Britain and her Empire face a rising United States whose political ideologies couple isolationism with an increasing commitment to the Monroe Doctrine, with rhetoric implying the ejection of all colonies from the Americas, and perhaps even the annexation of Canada. Thus, in the present year of 1950, both sides continue to size each other up for war while backing opposition elements in each other, and no nation in Latin America can have a civil war without the USA backing one side and Britain the other.

But the global situation may change radically if the theories of certain controversial physicists in Paris and Vienna prove true...

I was originally gonna do a regional map, but in the end I decided that I have to many other projects that need my attention,
so I'll submit the world map I was using for reference instead.

Following the Annexation of Texas in 1848 the Mexican-American War, however, the war would prove to be a disaster for both sides,
after seven years of war the Treaty of Mariposa was signed in 1855, leading to Mexico ceding the territory that would become
(Northern) California, Arizona and New Mexico while recognizing the American controlled Eastern Texas as part of the Union.

In 1865 the American Civil War began, this would later be considered the original cause for the later Cold War as Great Britain openly
backed the secessionist Texas Republic and covertly provided non-military supplies to the Confederates.
Mexico, while only having been to war with America eleven years previous sided with the United States in 1866 as Texas began border
raids and started demanding 'West Texas'.
The war came to an end on September 3rd, 1875, this lead to a much more deeper and radical re-construction era, eventually leading
to the Confederate States being forbidden from ever having a state militia and twenty years of Governors being appointed by Washington
and state Supreme Courts that struck down 30% of laws passed in the Southern states.
It would not be until 1895 that the National Supreme Court ruled these practices unconstitutional, though still upheld nearly every
anti-discrimination law.

It's now 1950, the world has gone through many changes over the last half century, seeing a World War that ended in the current
Cold War.

The Cold War is split into three sides;
The British-lead Grand Alliance, which favours Globalism (IE the Colonial Empires reforming into equal Federations), economic Liberalism
and Free Trade.
The American-lead Alliance of Nations that favours Internationalism & self-determination (though generally promotes autonomy rather
than independence), economic Social Democracy and Fair Trade.
The Brazilian-lead Lusophone Commonwealth, comprised of Brazil, Portugal and Argentina which favours a variant of economic
Social Democracy and favours a United, independent Commonwealth economy.

While the three blocks represent more than half of the world their are still many nations that have remained independent of them for
varying reasons.

While the world has gone without any major wars for nearly three decades the clouds of war are gathering on the horizon,
and the Cold War may very well go 'hot'.

Last edited:
Here is my attempt. I am not good at making maps, but I like the scenario I came up with, so I gave it a shot. The oddly colored borders are to identify the borders of conflict zones.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following German victory in the Great War in 1921, the British Empire refused to allow Germany to control any colonies and undertook the administration of her former allies colonies herself. The new, powerful Germany attempted to find colonies anyway, and rather than seeking a direct fight with Britain, attempted to seize unclaimed islands in the Pacific. This brought Germany into conflict with Japan, which, by 1931, was attempting to gain hegemony in the Pacific by conquering China. By 1936, however, Japan also wanted Pacific island in her Empire, and attacked Germany and the United States. However, also in 1936, a rebuild, modernized Russia was able to put aside the "Great Game" with Britain, who became allies against German hegemony in Europe. This created a complex situation, pitting two democracies against each other. However, before any direct conflict between the US and the UK could be fought, the war ended in a stalemate when Germany build the first atom bomb, forcing the allies to stop their advance. The British gained one shortly thereafter, and and forced the Americans to stop their assault on mainland Japan. In response, the US turned their attention to the Japanese Empire, and invaded China in 1942. By 1943, the USMC had linked up with the Nationalist army, and in 1944, the two nations signed a Security Treaty. However, although a stalemate ended the war, the tension did not end. The US, China, and Germany demanded the allies give their colonies self-determination. The allies refused.

By 2007, the Cold War between the Allies and the Entente has been going on for half a century, and fears that WWIII could start at any moment are ripe ever since both sides completed their missile shield programs around 2000. In 2002, the USA attempted to put a missile shield in Liberia, prompting the Seven Day War. Tensions have skyrocketed since.

The map below is a political map of the Cold War in 2007.

Allies:
Pink-British Empire
Orange-British Allies and Protectorates
Green-Russia

Entente:
Dark Green-USA
Grey-USA influenced/controlled
Dark Grey-Germany
Yellow-China

Black-Conflict zones

Uk vs. US.png

My first entry into MoF:
Ireland less violent and long, healthy life of Prince Albert led in the early twentieth century to changes in the Empire: it has become one united country, "Britain all around the world". Colonies have become the next parts of the State: India, Australia, and Canada are the same as London, Manchester or Glasgow. WWI was not continental, but between 1910 'and 1920's conflict erupted in central Europe: Austro-Hungary broke up, Baltic states became an independent and Poland is now composed of Galicia, congress kingdom and former Province Posnen. France reached in the 20s economic crisis and colonial wars, which led to the granting of independence to its colonies in central Africa and on Far East.
Map: Atlantic crisis, one of many incidents in "game" about control of Carraibeans and Pacific erupted in the summer of 1956, due to the seizure of several Canadian ships in American ports by the customs service, on order of isolationist US president:
Owner propably arrears of fees. But soon, an escalation led the world to the brink of nuclear war. Crisis was however stoped by mediation of another nuclear power, led personally by Emperor Wilhelm IV.

Here is my attempt. I am not good at making maps, but I like the scenario I came up with, so I gave it a shot. The oddly colored borders are to identify the borders of conflict zones.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following German victory in the Great War in 1921, the British Empire refused to allow Germany to control any colonies and undertook the administration of her former allies colonies herself. The new, powerful Germany attempted to find colonies anyway, and rather than seeking a direct fight with Britain, attempted to seize unclaimed islands in the Pacific. This brought Germany into conflict with Japan, which, by 1931, was attempting to gain hegemony in the Pacific by conquering China. By 1936, however, Japan also wanted Pacific island in her Empire, and attacked Germany and the United States. However, also in 1936, a rebuild, modernized Russia was able to put aside the "Great Game" with Britain, who became allies against German hegemony in Europe. This created a complex situation, pitting two democracies against each other. However, before any direct conflict between the US and the UK could be fought, the war ended in a stalemate when Germany build the first atom bomb, forcing the allies to stop their advance. The British gained one shortly thereafter, and and forced the Americans to stop their assault on mainland Japan. In response, the US turned their attention to the Japanese Empire, and invaded China in 1942. By 1943, the USMC had linked up with the Nationalist army, and in 1944, the two nations signed a Security Treaty. However, although a stalemate ended the war, the tension did not end. The US, China, and Germany demanded the allies give their colonies self-determination. The allies refused.

By 2007, the Cold War between the Allies and the Entente has been going on for half a century, and fears that WWIII could start at any moment are ripe ever since both sides completed their missile shield programs around 2000. In 2002, the USA attempted to put a missile shield in Liberia, prompting the Seven Day War. Tensions have skyrocketed since.

The map below is a political map of the Cold War in 2007.

Allies:
Pink-British Empire
Orange-British Allies and Protectorates
Green-Russia

Entente:
Dark Green-USA
Grey-USA influenced/controlled
Dark Grey-Germany
Yellow-China

Black-Conflict zones

I quite like this, something different from what is usually posted. Well done.

My entry. 1975, thirty years after the fall of the Napoleonic Union the Kongo war between the British Empire and its more authoritarian opponent, the United States, enters its final phase.

coldwar.JPG

Just a quick one: A US map of areas of concern during the so-called Sandwich Islands crisis, which was seen as a response by the Anglo-Japanese alliance to the stationing of American missiles in Siam.

The spelling of Honolula was originally my mistake, but I have decided to absorb it by saying it's just the way it's spelt IITL :D

sandwich islands.png

To: "Zacharias N. Simmonds" (zns12@cia.gov)
Re: Proceedings

Message body:

Hi Zac,

How's life? Are the employees treating you alright there in the office? You should trying coming up north at some point - I've had a very exciting week: met five new friends and ran into a few old ones, got myself a nice little flat in Montreal and so on. I'd love to tell you all about that, but work's pressing hard, so it'll have to wait until one of us pops by another's place.

Anyway, I'd like you to see a particularly interesting photo I made just this morning. I believe it may be interesting and useful.

Cheers!
Al

This is my not-too-terrific entry. I experimented with something I haven't done before, i.e. trying to combine various items for the background. Didn't work out too well, but I can't think of any better presentation. It should not be too difficult to gather what this is - a blunder by an MI5-Canada agent, who left his manual open on page 128 just long enough for an American spy to take a photo. I wonder how the CIA is going to react to this...

Faraday Cage

25u5zjs.png

The future Cold War between the US/Chinese and British/EU trade blocs divides Canada into feuding republics.

Here's my first entry for a MoF.

The main POD is that russian communism miserablely fail due to a really incompetent Stalin and the Luftwaffe miserablely lose the Battle of Britain.
Russia get nearly wiped out by the Nazis, the US ant the UK are the two only winner of the War.
After the fall of Berlin the Americans send all their troop in China to help the Nationalists leaving to the British the control of Europe.
Between 1945 and 1948 in all the European nations under British pressure Monarchies were established or re-established (except for France that held the referendum only in 1951) and a strong Welfare State was introduced.
On the other side the US becomes more anti-imperialistic, anti-monarchical, Laissez-faire oriented and liberal. US interests bring them to support many independence movements in Africa and in South East Asia.
In 1950 the North Pacific Treaty Organization was created by the USA in order, according to a President Truman private letter, "to keep the Europeans out, the Americans in, and the Japanese down"
In reaction the Pact of Berlin was signed by the European nations (except for the communists Yugoslavia and Albania and for Switzerland). The Pact, mostly a military alliance, was introduced by a declaration that defined constitutional monarchy, welfare state and Intergovernmentalism as the "Greatest achievement of european societies".
In response, in 1951, the US and the American allies in Europe and Western Africa created the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
During the 50s the two blocs confronted themself in a nuclear arms race, the Suez War(1956), the Indochina War(1947-1956) and, more recently, in a Space Race

Treaty Organizations and Berlin Pact member countries:

NATO
USA
Cuba
Ireland
Greenland
Iceland
Estado Novo (Portugal and once called colonies)
Spain
Sicily
Morocco
Liberia

NPTO
USA
Japan
Korea
Manchuria
Philippines

Berlin Pact
United Kingdom
Norway
Sweden
Finland
Denmark
France
Netherlands
Luxenburg
Germany
Poland
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Belarus
Ukraine
Czechoslovakia
Romania
Bulgaria
Grece
Slavonia (OTL Croatia and Slovenia)
Hungary
Austria
Italy
South Africa
Australia
New Zealand
Canada

and here's the map

coldwar2-1.png

This is my first map. I guess I kind of ripped off Nugax by tinting a sattelite map but w/ only paint and using microsoft picture manager to tint it was really the only way I could make it pretty. I also wanted to a map that wasn't North America because I wanted to do something a little different. This would be some sort of South East Asia proxy conflict. Green symbolizes US allies pink UK allies. If I messed up please don't try and rant here.

supamap.jpg