Stronger Canada, Strong United States

I'm not taking in relative terms to colonies owned overseas but as a sum of global influence. This is going to be a long paragraph so excuse the bulge:

Is it possible, and if it is perhaps throw some ideas out there, for Canada to exist either relatively similar to the form it's in now or bigger with more international prestige, a larger population (more big cities), GDP, etc. (all that fun stuff) while not unilaterally simply absorbing lots of U.S. territory? I've read a few TL concepts for "better" Canadas and I've read a few Canadawanks and most involve absorbing copious amounts of U.S. territory, often coupled with balkanization of the U.S. (i.e New England/Confederate States successfully secede, independent Texas, west-cost absorbed by Britain, etc.) What I am wondering is, given some good circumstances or good leaders or what have you; is it possible that Canada could have greater international prestige/power, a larger population *and* perhaps more territory without significant expense to the U.S.? I know I'm throwing these terms out like they're easily rectified so don't take offense if you're American, just theoretically.

I suppose to establish the boundaries of what I mean by "significant expense" (with regards to American territories) I mean that without absorbing huge amounts of land held by U.S. states or future U.S. territories. I'll leave things up to your imaginations but generally where things were in dispute (dispute over northern part of the Louisiana Territory, Oregon Territory) ruling in Canada's favor (or the U.S.'s, as was done mostly IRL) would not count as significant expense, but absorbing vast parts of Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, the Dakotas, Washington/Oregon, California (you get it...) would be. If there's any argument about Alaska it'd be good to have, but at most a rule in Canada's favor on the border dispute there would be all I'd be looking at (not wanking it out of the U.S./Russia/other's hands). The U.S. should have similar international strength today i.e. Canada is still not as strong as the U.S. but is stronger, perhaps with more territory (perhaps with the U.S. compensating southward, or holding onto former colonies?) Outside the U.S. however, the "significant expense" demand by me does not apply :p.

If you can, for interest's sake, add in more balkanized provinces in Canada and have more populated northernly settlements (if possible). This is mostly just a thought exercise so I'm not considering this seriously as a giant cohesive TL or something, just sort of "in general, what do you think?" There's no need to glue yourself to a history book and the more interesting butterfly possibilities the better to me.

*post thought: I put this in the pre-1900 section because I thought to do this you'd need an earlier PoD (since I thought this would have a lot to do with immigration to Canada/earlier policies) but if that's not appropriate I apologize.

You basically just summed up the one TL I was planning.:eek:
Seems prety easy to me, make the US have a harder immigration policy so more people move to Canada or something like that, and maybe somewhat different political setups. Perhaps Canada gets the British Carribean?

If U.S. immigration policy was more stringent though, wouldn't that affect the United States and it's development?

I suppose the challenge would be to minimize any impact on the United States (there'll obviously be one) while making Canada..better somehow =p.

I decided to come here and ask since I've seen a lot of interesting stuff posted here :D

Well, we can actually have a POD as late as 1945 here and have Canada not scrap her navy after the war. Keep in mind that by the end of WWII, Canada had the 4th largest navy in the world.

I think Canada needs more people rather than land - it's got plenty of the latter already, though much is covered with ice.

I do like the idea of post-1945 Canada not scrapping it's navy - that would go a long way in the prestige department. In addition, the Canucks had some serious Air Force going on in WWII as well - the RCAF was the fourth largest among the Allies.

Hmm. Perhaps a POD could be the Cold War developing a bit earlier/nastier than in OTL and an alt-Canadian PM deciding that mayhap they ought not to draw down their forces overmuch after all. Or, a more far-sighted American President sees that this Cold War thing could go on for quite awhile and thus be very expensive, so it'd be nice if they had stronger Allies on their side to help share the burden of deterring the Soviet Bloc. Or some combination of both.

My Shared World 6 Canada started with McKenzie not getting caught in the Railroad scandal and losing office.
As such the Canada Trans Continental is finished 10 years earlier. this butterflies into earlier/larger settlement in the Canadian wheat belt. And Quicker growth of Vancouver.
Larger Tax/Investment Base, This leads to a more robust economy, which leads to Canada leading the way in several Tech areas.

That's definitely a possibility. However maintaining a navy would've been difficult financially at the time, especially with continued reliance on an (in the future) unpredictable resource market.

I don't think Canada's hit it's population apex yet (offhand I'd guess that'd be around 50 million but I have nothing to back that up :p) but for it to get that high or around that high; for Canada to be quite big, what would that take? Being as big as France or the United Kingdom would definitely in my opinion increase the chance that Canada would be much stronger.

I like the idea of Canada moving towards more tech industries then remaining solely based on resources (though it's vast resources increase it's market power). Is there, do you think, any reasonable chance and incentive that places like Regina, Saskastoon, Winnipeg and other prairie cities would see some sort of growth similar to what Calgary and Edmonton experienced (without oil though <_>)? I suppose another thing would be preventing the kind of decline the Maritimes has seen. I suppose with a navy though Halifax would be much bigger (perhaps close to a million), and if a tech industry found its way to the Maritimes earlier :D.

Another thought; how far north could the population go? It gets really cold up there so I dunno how big the population could get? Do you think there's any chance a place like Prince Rupert or Vancouver Island could see more growth? Prince Rupert has a really mild climate for somewhere in the north, but I can't think of any incentives (but I hope you can) for any sort of major port development that could see some higher growth (unless it's like the Pacific/North(western) base for the Canadian navy >>).

Sorry for the tl;dr and thousands of questions ._. it's all so interesting this speculation :D

a few ideas for more territory apart from the obvious Oregon war victory Britain buys Alaska USA doesn't invade Hawaii and Britain makes it a formal part of the empire

Another thought; how far north could the population go? It gets really cold up there so I dunno how big the population could get? Do you think there's any chance a place like Prince Rupert or Vancouver Island could see more growth? Prince Rupert has a really mild climate for somewhere in the north, but I can't think of any incentives (but I hope you can) for any sort of major port development that could see some higher growth (unless it's like the Pacific/North(western) base for the Canadian navy >>).
The problem is much less the cold than the land. Building on Granite bedrock or muskeg is ... tough. Basically all of Canada that is settleable in a practical way has been. And up until the modern era, the fact that you'd have to import food to all the areas not currently settled is a pretty much insurmountable problem.
Oh, you could make the cities bigger, but getting population much further north by this date is ... unlikely.

Even the prairies had to wait for the railways before they got any decent sized population.

The problem is much less the cold than the land. Building on Granite bedrock or muskeg is ... tough. Basically all of Canada that is settleable in a practical way has been. And up until the modern era, the fact that you'd have to import food to all the areas not currently settled is a pretty much insurmountable problem.
Oh, you could make the cities bigger, but getting population much further north by this date is ... unlikely.

Even the prairies had to wait for the railways before they got any decent sized population.

Would Britain getting the Upper Michigan Penisula and the top of Minnesota (maybe out of some conception of getting that access to the Mississippi the Treaty of Paris talked about) early on help out the settlement of praries via the Lake Superior-Red River-Assiniboine route with less need for early railroads. Thus allowing the development of the praries at the same time as the US grain basket fills up 1870-1900, without much impacting the United States.

The earlier development of Winter Wheat varieties and other dryland farming techniques, and if it was introduced by Canadians rather than Kansas would boost both the US and Canadas growth curve, though Canada more so...

Would Britain getting the Upper Michigan Penisula and the top of Minnesota (maybe out of some conception of getting that access to the Mississippi the Treaty of Paris talked about) early on help out the settlement of praries via the Lake Superior-Red River-Assiniboine route with less need for early railroads. Thus allowing the development of the praries at the same time as the US grain basket fills up 1870-1900, without much impacting the United States.

The earlier development of Winter Wheat varieties and other dryland farming techniques, and if it was introduced by Canadians rather than Kansas would boost both the US and Canadas growth curve, though Canada more so...
Ummm... I don't THINK so. You still have to get from Lake Superior to the Red river.

Moreover, you still have to get the grain from the farms to e.g. lake Superior. It wasn't JUST the CPR crossing the prairies that opened it up, it was all the little branch lines that let farmers get their grain to market.

OTOH, a railway from *Duluth to *Fargo, if that was land owned by the British, could really start the ball rolling, and would be EVER SO MUCH EASIER than trying to build railway north of Superior. Solid granite. Muskeg. Sheesh.

So, assuming the Brits got that chunk of land in the 1850's or earlier, then the railway boom gets started there.... Maybe.

OTOH, a railway from *Duluth to *Fargo, if that was land owned by the British, could really start the ball rolling, and would be EVER SO MUCH EASIER than trying to build railway north of Superior. Solid granite. Muskeg. Sheesh.

So, assuming the Brits got that chunk of land in the 1850's or earlier, then the railway boom gets started there.... Maybe.

Thats what I meant by less need for railways, as you still obviouslly need some to complete the connections.

So perhaps if we conceive of the Treaty of Paris/War of 1812 ending up with Canada getting the Old North West north of 44.9N (runs from Green Bay to slightly below the St Anthony Falls, with the raison d'être of giving a fingerhold/trading presense on the top of the Mississippi). This chunk of land naturally makes the OTL 1818 land swap look silly and BNA keeps the red river valley and the Americans the Mississippi watershed above the 49th (zones which hold a tenfold difference in population by 2000). This gives the Hudson Bay Company easier and more enthusiatic access to the northern river systems and when the Oregon dispute comes around the slightly better British position and a precident for river boundaries rather than parallels means the Columbia-Pend Oreille-Flathead River course or soemthing similar is chosen as the border.

Canada now has 2/3rds of Washington, a smidegon of Idaho and Montana and South Dakota, the Upper Michigan, and half of North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin and has lost the bottom twenth of Saskatchewan and Alberta. However Canada will gain more than just the OTL bulk of these territories, as they allow much easier linking up and thus a much earlier connected Canada and Prarie exploitation, which will have cumulative effects down the line.

quickcanada.png

Couple that with something that increases the population significantly early on (a decade of American anti-Catholic or anti-Eastern European legislation at some point? Doesn't have to be a long period to create a base. Something unfortunate happens in the Ukraine or India that leads to a mass of people Canada is more politically willing to take in than the US?) and you'll have a significantly stronger Canada at little expense to the US, all via better deals in existing negociations...

Last edited:
That would definitely be a bonus to Canada and that's an awesome map. Would that not hurt the United States though (unless they also expanded further south?)

Are there any free sites where I could look at stuff on the Treaty of 1818 and things like that, just for interests' sake. Wikipedia is nice for an overview but there's not much source material (especially when it comes to somewhat obscure history like this).

That would definitely be a bonus to Canada and that's an awesome map. Would that not hurt the United States though (unless they also expanded further south?)

Are there any free sites where I could look at stuff on the Treaty of 1818 and things like that, just for interests' sake. Wikipedia is nice for an overview but there's not much source material (especially when it comes to somewhat obscure history like this).

Well yes it would hurt the US but very marginly, as the transfers would come before the regions were properly settled, and the Americans would just go somewhere else (producing higher density and development there).

Also it depends what you meant by 'significant' expense, all together the lost territories account for 4% of the US 2009 GDP and population - is that enough for recompensense elsewhere to be needed?

As to the documents - wikisource has the actual text.

Yeah that's very interesting and true enough, it wasn't settled at all at the time. I guess this would mean more people in Portland/Idaho- incidentally, I know Coo's Bay (I think it's called) is a deep-water port, do you think that would evolve into a Seattle? Since the Pudget Sound is a major port for the United States. In addition this would affect the development of Vancouver wouldn't it? I thought it was settled and grew mostly because the British lost Fort Vancouver (the one now in Washington).

How do you think it would affect western settlement and provincial development? With pretty much the Columbia River and north in British hands, would there be any incentive to even call B.C British Columbia, or would it keep its HBTC name New Caledonia?

I guess in addition it would sort of change the development of the prarie provinces. I wonder whether it would lead to more territorial consolidation (like that idea of the "province of Buffalo") or fragmentation (I think in another thread it was mentioned Alberta/Saskatchewan could've been partitioned into 4 provinces).

Biggest things to do is probably increase the population via:

1) Have a Royal Edict? on the rights of the Hudson's Bay Company Lands that prevents them from restricting access to settlement. In part due to their desire to ensure only furs were produced from Rupert's Land settlement of the west and north was late.

2) A national transportation dream pre- confederation. A mix of Canals, roads, shipping and eventually railways to bypass northern Ontario into the prairies. Having worked and lived up there it is some of the roughest country to develop access in that I know off...the Northwest Territories are easier in many regards.

3) A more tolerent Agriculture and Immigration department in the 1850's onward. Due to a preference for British settlers Canada recieved a trickle fo the settlers that the US did until the very late 1890's/1900's when eastern Europeans were added...and the flood commenced.

4) The RNWMP (now the RCMP) become land administrators as well...and are formed as part of confederation instead of several years later. As they would be required to jointly plan developement with the TransCanada Railway you hopefully get fewer bust towns due to land speculation resulting in communities such as Winnepeg and Calgary getting a more solid start.

5) Implementation of the BCATP (British Commonwealth Air Training Program) in the 1930's in Canada (especially western Canada) instead of after the start of world war two leading to an increased miliary pressence and more importantly....infrastructure upon which to develop post war.

6) Adoption of a US style freeway system. Having driven accross the country a few times....our highway system sucks. It really does limit trade and development and having a more modern means of moving goods would make a big difference especially if started post war.

7) No amalgamation of the armed services in 1967. Although the costs per unit manned had been increasing since WW2 the amalgamation hit morale hard...and started a cycle of cuts in manning that makes force projection almost impossible today. Very tough to be taken serious when your neighbor has more troops at some bases than you do in your Army.

8) Accept the offer of the Turks and Cacois Islands to become a province of Canada in 1982 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turks_and_Caicos_Islands). Part of the reason the offer apparently was ignored was distance....despite the fact it's closer to Ottawa than Edmonton is.

9) Maintain a fleet of icebreakers and maintain, control and enforce passage through the Northwest passage. If this means armed pilot ships/icebreakers then great...but allowing for this access means another major trade route and helps promote northern development instead of southern focused trade currently.

10) Creation of a pool of national capital based off of resources similar to that of Norway. Using offshore revenue, federal lands revenue, and tying a portion of each provinces natural resource revenue (including hydro and tourism parks such as Jasper) into a national pool of monies used to help fund start-up companies and research. Of the annual interest (earned at Bank of Canada Rates) 25% goes back to provinces, 25% goes to federal government, 25% goes to start-up programs and 25% goes back into the pool.

Thats what I meant by less need for railways, as you still obviouslly need some to complete the connections.

So perhaps if we conceive of the Treaty of Paris/War of 1812 ending up with Canada getting the Old North West north of 44.9N (runs from Green Bay to slightly below the St Anthony Falls, with the raison d'être of giving a fingerhold/trading presense on the top of the Mississippi). This chunk of land naturally makes the OTL 1818 land swap look silly and BNA keeps the red river valley and the Americans the Mississippi watershed above the 49th (zones which hold a tenfold difference in population by 2000). This gives the Hudson Bay Company easier and more enthusiatic access to the northern river systems and when the Oregon dispute comes around the slightly better British position and a precident for river boundaries rather than parallels means the Columbia-Pend Oreille-Flathead River course or soemthing similar is chosen as the border.

Canada now has 2/3rds of Washington, a smidegon of Idaho and Montana and South Dakota, the Upper Michigan, and half of North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin and has lost the bottom twenth of Saskatchewan and Alberta. However Canada will gain more than just the OTL bulk of these territories, as they allow much easier linking up and thus a much earlier connected Canada and Prarie exploitation, which will have cumulative effects down the line.
[map snip]

That's quite a sound idea.

EDIT: How will the US reorganise it's territories into states now that it seem likely OTL Wisconsin will be part of ATL Illinois?

Last edited:
That's quite a sound idea.

EDIT: How will the US reorganise it's territories into states now that it seem likely OTL Wisconsin will be part of ATL Illinois?

Well they might just shift the Wisconsin-Illinois border south till its near level with the Indiana-Michigan border, so Wisconsin is big enough to be an proper state by the 3 degrees N-S standard, but Illinois still has a tiny toehold on Lake Michigan in what was OTL south Chicago. Alt-Chicago will roll across 3 states right from the start here.

As to the others - one Dakota? and Alt-Minnesota and Alt-Iowa going to the James River?

Or since Illionis will become a state just after the lack of border transferal you might see that retain its original borders and just end up with a small Wisconsin (the lower half does and did contain most of the people after all). I'd say your unlike to see a huge Illinois what with the north wanting to keep the number of free-soil states high.

7) No amalgamation of the armed services in 1967. Although the costs per unit manned had been increasing since WW2 the amalgamation hit morale hard...and started a cycle of cuts in manning that makes force projection almost impossible today. Very tough to be taken serious when your neighbor has more troops at some bases than you do in your Army.

8) Accept the offer of the Turks and Cacois Islands to become a province of Canada in 1982 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turks_and_Caicos_Islands). Part of the reason the offer apparently was ignored was distance....despite the fact it's closer to Ottawa than Edmonton is.

9) Maintain a fleet of icebreakers and maintain, control and enforce passage through the Northwest passage. If this means armed pilot ships/icebreakers then great...but allowing for this access means another major trade route and helps promote northern development instead of southern focused trade currently.

10) Creation of a pool of national capital based off of resources similar to that of Norway. Using offshore revenue, federal lands revenue, and tying a portion of each provinces natural resource revenue (including hydro and tourism parks such as Jasper) into a national pool of monies used to help fund start-up companies and research. Of the annual interest (earned at Bank of Canada Rates) 25% goes back to provinces, 25% goes to federal government, 25% goes to start-up programs and 25% goes back into the pool.

Morale of uniting the forces really depended on what service you were, the navy was far and away the most opposed to it (but there's a whole slough of arguements to be made on that topic alone). But a lot of it had to do with Cold War politics (mostly being that Canada really doen't need a military, given that America is right next door).

The Turks and Caicos islands would be nice, but Canada has never really had a prescence in the Carribean, and the fact that it would enormously costly to maintain and protect was a huge disincentive. If you want the islands, you have to go back earlier and make Canada more active in the region, which means we need a navy, which we never really had until 1910.

The Northwest Passage was never an issue until quite recently, so I fail to see how you're going to get more investment up there until the 70's anyways.

And the last one boggles my mind. The provinces will never go for it, and they might even take the federal government to court (and could feasably win it too). Especially if there's more development in the prairies. If the prairies are more populated than OTL, they aren't going to be beaten by Ottawa so often (or ignored, either).