Alternate Jewish Homeland

WI after the end of WW11 that the allies decided to punish the Germans for the war and crimes against humanity in general and jews in particular and decided to annex some German land to create New Jewisth State.

As Hitler grew up in Branau, Passau, Lamach among others and agitated in Munich a part of Austria or Bavaria seems fair

1) Sorry, but collective punishment is never fair.

2) There was already a major Jewish community in Palestine, and the Balfour declaration. I can in general see no reason for Jews to go to any such proposed homeland rather than Palestine or America, except being ordered there by Stalin, which is probably the most plausible way to do it (but still not very).

This is a really interesting one. My sense is that a Jewish state not in present-day Israel requires an earlier PoD than 1945. It may be doable after 1939. If the Western allies go further East, options open.

I echo what IBC said about collective punishment. Hitler's birthplace is not a good reason to pick a location with. Still, the Germans have unjustly conquered a lot, are losing a lot of it back, and more. There will be places where German cessions to Jews will be acceptable.

The realist concern is its position relative to the Soviet sphere of influence. A European Israel will be an important ally to the West. I don't know if it's plausible, but how awesome would it be if they got East Prussia?

East Prussia Israel would out of necessity develop a postwar martial tradition as OTL. It would be a NATO member. In TTL, their enemy at the gates are the Communists. What do they rename Koenigsberg?

What if it was set up as part of America, not politically but the US donated some land to the Jews to set up as their own state? (And I'm not talking about crap land like we "gave" to the Amerindians).

What if it was set up as part of America, not politically but the US donated some land to the Jews to set up as their own state? (And I'm not talking about crap land like we "gave" to the Amerindians).

I thought there was some talk about that decades ago, and it turned out to be part of Alaska.

As for carving up Germany; a Jewish Rhineland perhaps? It'd be a nice buffer between Germany and France.

None of this makes sense, especially the Rhineland. What I've wondered on was the possibility of an alternate Jewish homeland in a Central Powers victory timeline. Obviously, it wouldn't be at it's OTL location.

The back story in the novel "The Yiddish Policeman's Union" is a Jewish Alaska created in the late 30's. The result was so many Jews went there instead of Israel that the Jews lost the 1948 war of independence.

I wonder about a Soviet puppet Jewish state in the recently vacated part of East Prussia they received after the war. Certainly more palatable to the Jewish community than some godforsaken chunk of Siberia.

On the whole, pretty unlikely, though.

Fascinating theory.
Some people claim that the creation of the State of Israel was to right the wrongs committed against European Jewry. Clearly this isn't the case IRL.
I don't see the Americans giving up so much as one acre to a sovereign Jewish homeland. And I doubt the European allies would have wanted
a Jewish state in their backyard either. By WWII, it was clear that if there was to be a Jewish homeland, it would be in Palestine. The Zionists had already gained political concessions from the British administering the mandate in Palestine, and weren't about to go anywhere. Not to Germany, Alaska or Uganda. It was the Holy Land or nothing.

Skokie

Banned
ETA: "Anything else is a concentration camp" my butt.

Palestine/Israel subject aside...

1900-1920s -- I would have worked out a deal with the Argentines, Brazilians or Chileans to carve out a state. Would have seemed the progressive thing at the time. These were the countries of the future that were supposed to match US industrial production by mid-century.

1945 -- Two separate Israels to match the spirit of the times, one aligned with the Soviets, the others with the Western Allies. The Rhineland (French zone) and Silesia (Soviet zone).

Last edited:
"Anything else is a concentration camp" my butt. Danger is everywhere, especially when you're a persecuted minority. Nevermind the rights of other groups.

Palestine/Israel subject aside...

I would have worked out a deal with the Argentines, Brazilians or Chileans.

Many of the Peronists in Argentina would not care for a Jewish homeland nearby, but Peron himself accepted many refugees.

A better candidate in Latin America would be Trujillo of the Dominican Republic, who already had offered refuge for Jews before the war.
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/sosua.html

Perhaps Trujillo might see them as a buffer vs Haiti. But it'd probably be just settlements, not an independent homeland.

Skokie

Banned
Many of the Peronists in Argentina would not care for a Jewish homeland nearby, but Peron himself accepted many refugees.

A better candidate in Latin America would be Trujillo of the Dominican Republic, who already had offered refuge for Jews before the war.
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/sosua.html

Perhaps Trujillo might see them as a buffer vs Haiti. But it'd probably be just settlements, not an independent homeland.

Very true. It was my mistake. I had assumed a 1900 POD. I changed it. ;)

WI after the end of WW11 that the allies decided to punish the Germans for the war and crimes against humanity in general and jews in particular and decided to annex some German land to create New Jewisth State.

As Hitler grew up in Branau, Passau, Lamach among others and agitated in Munich a part of Austria or Bavaria seems fair

The school of thought post WW2 was not to punish Germany which had inevitably caused Hitlers rise to power after WW1 but to instead build her up, this theory was backed up by the fact by the fact it ensures W.Germany doesn't go communist (Which if happend would probably cause the rest of central Europe to go communist as well) and acts as a Bulwark against the Soviets

The back story in the novel "The Yiddish Policeman's Union" is a Jewish Alaska created in the late 30's. The result was so many Jews went there instead of Israel that the Jews lost the 1948 war of independence.

Cohen Brothers are making a movie based on this book. AH is on the march!