British Dominion of Texas

As it says on the tin. How could this happen and what would be the effects. Also, note, I'm talking about the Republic of Texas, not some random TL where the ARW was lost.

Not sure how it could happen, though I do remember reading the Republic of Texas had good relations with Britain. The effects could be extremely interesting, though. I suspect the population might be lower (I don't know how willing American settlers would be to move into British territory) but sooner or later the British Texans are going to find the oil. When that happens, it's going to be a much more attractive destination for immigrants. The interesting thing would be how that potentially effects Britain's other settler colonies: does British Texas lead to underpopulated Canada, Australia, and New Zealand?

How could this happen and what would be the effects. Also, note, I'm talking about the Republic of Texas, not some random TL where the ARW was lost.

It would have to be an armed occupation: the 19th century Texans weren't likely to obey British antislavery laws (which was the primary reason they had rebelled against Mexico). Louisiana and the other southern states of the U.S. aren't going to like it either; the Sabine river is going to be a flashpoint for border incidents.

Assuming they can enforce abolition, the British would have to transport a lot of convicts, or resettle a lot of workers from India to their new colony of Texas, in order for it to export enough cotton to make it worth the cost of owning.

Last edited:
... I do remember reading the Republic of Texas had good relations with Britain.

Not really. Sam Houston wanted Texas to become a British colony, that's as close as it came to "relations". The only country to have relations with TX was France, and the French ambassador spent his time in New Orleans drinking and skirt chasing.

I suspect it'd have to be an armed intervention. I agree with the suggestion that Britain would probably import laborers from India.

Interesting, Texas might wind up culturally like one of the Guianas.

It'd also be interesting to see how it'd block US slave states from expanding, maybe causing plantation interests to seek a war with Spain to take Cuba, or against Santo Domingo or even Haiti.

First of all the United States would have to directly reject even the possibility of annexation.

This would have the fledgling Republic looking to someone else for protection from an aggressive neighboor to the south.

You'd have to have someone like Houston or his group in power, Lamar's group would reject the notion completely unless things got really bad.

Second, Britain is going to be faced with a large amount of expense in this new colony. Is this going to be worth it to them? Their primary exports at this time are cotton and cattle. Both are in demand in the British Isles, but the manpower is hardly there to produce either in large quantities yet.

Immigration is another problem as mentioned before. Anglo immigration would likely slow down, though wouldn't stop. Mexican immigration would likely continue but Irish and German? I doubt these fellows are going to want to live under a British Dominion, even one with a pretty flag.

Second Texans are an independent minded people. If Britain decides to send Indians en masse to increase the cotton harvest, I don't think the locals are going to look favorably upon this. Not to mention the whole slavery issue and these Indians being nothing more than indentured servants really.

It would have mass political and cultural impacts on the state to say the least. To be honest, I think if Texas isn't annexed in 1845(think alternate election of 1844), doesn't get directly involved in any civil war, and manages to not get annexed by Mexico, by 1870 they'd make it into modern times as an independent power.

Bump for great justice. I was under the impression that Houston wanted the Republic to join the United States, not become a British Dominion. Which was it really?

Bump for great justice. I was under the impression that Houston wanted the Republic to join the United States, not become a British Dominion. Which was it really?

He wanted it to join the US. He started courting Britain when the US rejected Texas' initial request for statehood in hopes of provoking the US into accepting.

Not to mention having a great power as a friend is helpful when you have a belligerant neighboor to the south.

But what if Polk lost the election, but Houston was still Texan President? What would that do?

Houston wasn't President of Texas during this time. Anson Jones was. His term in Texas' Senate and later as the Texan Ambassador to the US was actually spent arguing for, then formally withdrawing the first annexation request in 1838-9.

He was one of Houston's people through and through though. He was officered the Vice Presidency in Houston's second term, though he declined and accepted being his Secretary of State instead.

When he was elected President, he was actually highly critized because he kept quiet on the prospect of annexation, and the Texan Congress has to ram it through.

He actually got Mexico to sign formal recognition in June 1845, and tried to get Texas to vote to remain independent with Mexican blessing, though the vote went overwhelmingly to join the US.

Pretty much you'd have to get rid of Polk in the election of 1844. Clay winning would do the trick.

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
What if, after the initial rejection from the US, the British are 'courted' and fall backwards in the hay with their legs in the air? Would Texas refuse an immediate offer of Independent Dominion status, with the full backing of the Empire's forces whenever requested and home nation trade terms? Hell, New England (except Maine) would be tempted, on those terms. Would Britain be in a position to support the Republic of Rio Grande? It would make a great buffer state an increase the local trading block.

Last edited:

Jasen777

Donor
I don't think Texas would. I can't see having British soldiers stationed in Texas going over well. I rather doubt Britain would make that offer also.

The Rio Grande Republic pretty much died in 1940.