Largest Jewish State after WW2

JJohnson

Banned
What would the largest size possible for a new Jewish home state in the same area of OTL Israel be after WW2? Just wondering for a timeline I'm working on.

Wolfpaw

Banned
I suppose the British could have basically given the Jews control over Palestine and Transjordan as opposed to just the Palestinian part of the Mandate.

JJohnson

Banned
True....that is possible, especially with the outpouring of sentiment just after discovering the atrocities of WW2. I found this 1759 map of the Holy Land....could someone have resurrected this as the northern/eastern borders, then heading south to the Gulf of Aqabba like OTL?

Wolfpaw

Banned
I think I remember reading somewhere that Napoleon had once toyed with the idea of making a Jewish homeland in Palestine. Maybe he manages to pull that off?

Napoleon's ghost always did have a great influence on the European powers. ;)

Especially Napoleon III.

I actually read a WI where Napoleon vists a notorious mystic and communes with his ancestor to devise a better diplomatic strategy towards Prussia. Susano-hatred syndrome, an excessively simplistic Bismarck, and visible Europhile tinges aside, it was pretty amusing.

Wolfpaw

Banned
Especially Napoleon III.

I actually read a WI where Napoleon vists a notorious mystic and communes with his ancestor to devise a better diplomatic strategy towards Prussia. Susano-hatred syndrome, an excessively simplistic Bismarck, and visible Europhile tinges aside, it was pretty amusing.

Oh yes, I recall that one. They conjure up the ghost of Talleyrand and he advises Napoleon III on how to deal with politics and to tell that wife of his to shove-off to Egypt.

I've always agreed with Ibn Saud on that one topic. If the Jews have been wronged by germany, why not give them Germany, what have the Palistinians done? (Quotes something like that, sorry but I could get the precise wording, but that's the jist of it.)

I've always agreed with Ibn Saud on that one topic. If the Jews have been wronged by germany, why not give them Germany, what have the Palistinians done? (Quotes something like that, sorry but I could get the precise wording, but that's the jist of it.)

1) Because collective punishment is wrong.

2) Zionism, the Balfour declaration, and the whole mess predate the Holocaust.

Well the punishment would be too far, but it would be more accurately placed, I mean really WTF did the arabs do? They were historically better to the Jews than Christians, in general, they normally didn't burn them at the stake...

Well the punishment would be too far, but it would be more accurately placed, I mean really WTF did the arabs do? They were historically better to the Jews than Christians, in general, they normally didn't burn them at the stake...

As I said, it wasn't a "punishment" or really anything at all to do with the Holocaust except that that changed European opinion and hastened Jewish immigration. The situation existed long before.

A few things. I'm sure there were many more (and more powerful) Jews lobbying for Middle Eastern Zionism than Arabs were lobbying against. How many politically powerful Arabs do you see in Britain and France, as opposed to powerful Jewish men like Disraeli? Religious reasons... From both a Christian and Jewish standpoint, Palestine belongs to the Jews. Recent historical reasons... As someone mentioned, the Balfour Declaration already promised Palestine to the Jews, or something along those lines (can't remember exactly).

Keenir

Banned
What would the largest size possible for a new Jewish home state in the same area of OTL Israel be after WW2? Just wondering for a timeline I'm working on.

oh.

with that subject line, my first thought was "give the Soviet Union a Jewish leader after Stalin dies."

Valdemar II

Banned

The Israeli ethnic cleanse the occupied area after 1967. By today the West Bank, Gaza and Sinai would be fully integrated into Israel.

Of course this demand a earlier POD, because OTL 1967 Israel wouldn't do that.

JJohnson

Banned
And as far as I read from the UN declarations after WW2, most drafts had an interweaving Arab state with Israel, so that's at least one PoD is when the UN drafts whatever resolution results in the declaration of a Jewish State.

Assuming nothing else but this as a change in timeline, perhaps the League of Nations mandates could be the used somehow as a legal basis for the Jewish State, not containing an interweaving Arab State that partitions it, but holding a unified state, and since by the Mandate:

"nothing should be done which might prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine"

Perhaps as the Jewish people immigrate and give promises to the British that they will include the now-native Arab population, they can help moderate the Arab revolt from the late 30s.

So if the British managed this Palestine differently, perhaps the table could be set for better stability there, and if the Arab population is successfully integrated into this Israel... but that's a lot of if's.

Israel may have most of Sinai penisnsula

Israel may keep Sinai peninsula after one of its wars in Egypt, or it could be given the peninsula at the onset given the religious significance of that territory to Judaism. Not the entire peninsula , per se, but, lets say, 2/3 or 3/4 of it - still a very large territory.