Eastern Entrance

Chapter One: From Frat Houses to the House

"As the best all-round student at Whittier High, we are pleased to offer a full scholarship including board at the College. Please reply by registered mail, enclosing your acceptance letter no later than April 30th."

- Richard Nixon's Harvard acceptance letter, March 1930

"Go East and make us proud, son" "But what about Harold? The best you can do is be the first one in this family to break the cycle of poverty and make something of yourself"

- Hannah to Richard Nixon

"After a week-long transcontinental rail journey, I arrived in Boston. Harvard Law was not a place for the lazy and I quickly acclimatized myself. Deciding to get involved in campus life, I joined the debating and football teams. It was soon apparent that my talents lay in the former. In my senior year, I would become the debating captain when we upset Yale, but this was a couple of years away."

Memoirs, Richard Nixon, 1979

"Been getting A's, awards and accolades, but no dates as yet. Try to keep you posted"

Richard to Hannah Nixon, July 1931

"In my junior year, a widly popular freshman arrived on campus. Like me, he joined the debate and football teams, and quickly proved equally adept at both. The name? Joe Kennedy Jr."

- Memoirs

"Once we met, we quickly became friends. Of course, once you meet one Kennedy, you meet them all. Those lazy days at Hyannis were some of the most amusing of my youth, and more was still to come. It was obvious that Joe Jr. was the only one with his own ambition. Jack's social life was already legendary, and his limitless self-indulgence nearly ruined his career. The one whose personality closely mirrored my own was Bobby. Brooding, willful, ruthless- ready to fight at the drop of a hat, or should I say ball. That was one of the quietest Christmas dinners I ever attended."

"She's great, supportive and sympathetic. I think this is workable"

Richard to Hannah Nixon, May 1939

After graduating second in his class in May 1937, Nixon began work at Cromwell & Sullivan, headed by future Secretary of State John Foster Dulles. The firm's international work sparked Nixon's lifelong interest in foreign policy. War clouds were forming, but romance was also in the air...

"Dick, will you agree to raise the kids Catholics? Yes, I see no reason why not. Then you have my blessing..."

"If he's good enough for Dulles, he's good enough for me. Dick's clearly going places and seems to have political ambition, just like Joe"

- Joe to Rose Kennedy, Jan. 4, 1940

Boston Globe, May 26, 1940

Society, E8

Married, Richard M. Nixon, 27, Harvard Law '37, to Eunice Kennedy, 21, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph P. Kennedy. Mr. Nixon is currently a partner at Cromwell and Sullivan...

At the outbreak of World War II, among the thousand of enlistees were Richard Nixon and Joe and Jack Kennedy. All three enlisted in the Navy. Joe began fighter training at NAS Pensacola, Jack initially at ONI, and Richard Nixon as a JAG officer in the UK. By 1944, Nixon was a Lt. Cmdr, Jack a Lieutenant. Joe went down with the USS Hornet at the Battle of Santa Cruz on Oct. 7, 1942. Jack was posted as a surface warfare officer to this ship, which would later become infamous...

USS Phoenix (CL-46) off Saipan, Oct. 1944

At the end of the war, both Richard Nixon and Jack Kennedy decided to run for Congress. Nixon from New York and Jack from Massachusetts. Joe saw only one problem.

"How can he get elected, there's no heroism? Joe, he's got the Fitzgerald and Kennedy names, and he's a veteran. A shoo-in if I ever saw one."

- Mark Dalton to Joe Kennedy, Dec. 1945

"This man is saleable merchandise" - Republican leaders in New York's 26th Congressional District.

"What Americans need is government free of planist influences. Plans are for wars, not lives"

- Richard Nixon on the stump, May 1946

"Who do you think will be the next Congressman from this district? I think that young Kennedy fellow. He was in the Navy, I was in the Navy, his mother's from here. Are you a relative, Ma'am? I'm Rose Kennedy, Jack Kennedy's mother. Bang went the brakes. And there ended my pretense of dignified obscurity."

Rose Kennedy, Raising Political Progeny, 1986

"Many years later, once I stood atop the mountain, I met Karl Rove at a private dinner. He told me that "you had a great turnout operation, I merely made it scientific and added motivation."

Push-Polling to the Presidency, Robert F. Kennedy, 1990

"The campaign was going quite well. I was leading by 6 over my Democratic opponent, and we held that lead for the rest of the campaign."

-Memoirs, Richard Nixon, 1979

House elections, 1946

New York-26th

(R): Richard M. Nixon: 57.4%

Massachusetts-10th

(D): John F. Kennedy: 55.3%

"Whereupon, the journey began."

- Memoirs

Last edited:
The answer is above, but the ATL Presidents list will be quite different. In previous TL's, the divergence was insufficient. Not the case now- nor is this the last social shocker...

Wait for it- he's a 21 year old "civilian" with, shall we say, a political identity issue. Remember how he became Maurice Duplessis'* protege and successor in Can-Ken? That's because he was quite conservative in those days.
* For non-Canadians, google Duplessis. A mixture of Ferdinand Marcos (ideology), Lyndon Johnson (legislation/control of people), Richard Daley (electoral methods) and Rene Levesque (nationalist mythology).

Chapter Two: The Road to Fame

"Here's the registration papers. Be sure to keep them in a safe place" "Of course."

- Robert Kennedy to SoS clerk, Dec. 1946

"Washington is very boring, dreary procedural votes and hearings. Hopefully I'll kick myself upstairs soon."

Richard to Eunice Nixon, Mar. 1947

Washington Post, Apr. 10, 1947

Born: to Congressman and Mrs. Nixon, Rebecca Patricia Nixon

"The big break came with the Hiss case. I put most of my energy into it as a member of HUAC. Hiss would make my career, but many were outraged that I'd taken down a Soviet agent, or as my reasonable critics suggested, a "useful idiot", to quote Lenin."

Memoirs, Richard Nixon, 1979

As time passed, Eunice gave birth to Peter and Oliver Nixon in 1948 and 1950 respectively. Nixon's successful prosecution of Alger Hiss would lead him towards a Senate seat, but there was more exciting news on the home front...

LA Times: Reagan killed in car crash near Santa Barbara at age 37

"She's really great. We really seem to understand each other. On top of it, she's an actor. Can't wait for the moment. Here's her picture, which I'm taking to the Civil Procedure exam on Monday."

- Robert Kennedy to Eunice Nixon, Dec. 1949

"I hereby declare my candidacy for the Senate. What we need is a senator who represents all New Yorkers. There are New Yorkers outside New York City who haven't been represented adequately by Senator Lehman."
- Richard Nixon's Senate announcement, Jan. 3, 1950

"Well, we've set everything for June. Perfect time for a wedding."
- Robert to Joe Kennedy, April 1950

"The Korean War broke out, Bobby got married, and Nixon was fighting a tough Senate battle. A memorable summer."

- British Prime Minister Conrad Black, Interlocking Dynasties, 2003

Boston Globe, Society, E7, June 25, 1950

Married: Robert F. Kennedy, Harvard Law, '50 to Nancy Davis, 29 of Santa Barbara, CA.

(Yes, I kept my promise)

"The campaign against Lehman was not one for Little Leaguers. He pulled out Eleanor Roosevelt, but the upstaters were less impressed than the East Siders. Hence the final results."
- Memoirs, Richard Nixon, 1979

KOREA AT WAR, TRUMAN SENDS CONTINGENT OVERSEAS UNDER UN

US Senate election in New York, 1950

"The campaign by Rep. Richard Nixon against incumbent Senator Herbert Lehman, was, to quote Hobbes, "nasty, brutish and short." Nixon played to the upstate vote while appealing even to poorer Big Apple residents. On Nov. 7, 1950, the state gave its verdict on Richard Nixon."

(R/Con): Richard M. Nixon, 54.7%
(D/Lib): Herbert H. Lehman (I), 43.3%

Senator-elect: Richard Nixon (R)

"In the Senate, I began to find the work very interesting, beyond the parochialism of the House into managing national affairs. Lyndon Johnson was quite the character, and everything they said later was completely true. I have never seen such a domesticated caucus as Johnson's Democratic caucus in the 1950's and sixties. Bill Knowland was nowhere near Johnson's league as Minority Leader after Bob Taft's passing, but he had the ideology and the influence."

Memoirs, RN, 1979

"He had all the booming confidence inherent in an inherited position"

- British Prime Minister Conrad Black, Interlocking Dynasties, 2003

"One of my major assignments in 1952 was co-chairing the New York delegation with Gov. Dewey in support of General Eisenhower's bid for the White House. Fair Play was close-run thing, but after the Warren candidacy imploded in California, Eisenhower defeated Taft 595-500 and became the nominee. For the vice-presidential slot, I thought that he would choose Bill Knowland. I wasn't chosen, but that didn't mean I was out of the running for 1960."

Memoirs, RN, 1979

"Jack's Senate campaign was tough, but through hard work and ample resources, we thought we had a good chance against Lodge. What was becoming tougher was the fact that, because of Nancy, I had secretly apostasized politically. The brand of Republicanism espoused by Dick and Ike was palatable, less so the kind by know-nothings like Knowland, Goldwater and their ilk"

Push Polling to the Presidency, Robert F. Kennedy, 1990

"The Commerce and Judiciary Committees provided an abundance of interesting material to work with. Later, after my re-election, I was hoping to get Foreign Relations. Finance and Rules never really interested me."

Memoirs, RN, 1979

"As the campaign drew to a close, Jack's race was too close to call and it was clear that Ike would win in a landslide. The only question was the margins. I always believed that Stevenson was the most overrated candidate in modern American history"

Push Polling to the Presidency, Robert F. Kennedy, 1990

genusmap.php

(R): Dwight D. Eisenhower/William F. Knowland: 452 ECV, 54.7%

(D): Adlai E. Stevenson II/ John Sparkman: 79 ECV, 44.3%

Incumbent President: Harry Truman (D)
President-elect: Dwight Eisenhower (R)

Massachusetts Senate race
(D): John F. Kennedy: 50.7%
(R): Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. (I): 49.3%
Senator-elect: John Kennedy (D)

"Four children in seven years, and then that was it. Over these years, namely 1950-56, I was working in private practice in a medium-sized New York firm, having moved there with Nancy, who has never been keen on Boston. The times were heady and the work was quite enjoyable, but it was monotonous and didn't give me the challenges I wanted. The problem was breaking the news of course. How would I tell Jack, whom I was closest to beside Nancy then, that I had apostasized politically? My father, as Jack would say, would support me if I ran on the Communist ticket. The worst case scenario would be what happened to Kathleen, but fortunately that wasn't the case. Before it came to a head, Jack was admitted to hospital on Jan. 25, 1954."

Push-Polling to the Presidency, Robert F. Kennedy, 1990

"Senator John F. Kennedy (D-Mass) has been hospitalized to undergo risky vertebral surgery in Boston. We have been informed that the senator's condition is stable for the time being."

-WGBH, Jan. 26, 1954

"We have received word that the senator's condition has worsened. Reportedly family members have been summoned, but no confirmable news has emerged as of the present..."

-WGBH 9 p.m. update

Until the next posting...

*For future reference, Bobby's four kids are Joseph II (10/06/51), Bobby Jr (26/07/54) , Kathleen (07/07/56) and Marie (07/09/59).
Nixon's three are: Rebecca (10/04/47), Peter (25/03/48) and Oliver (17/10/50)

Last edited:
Hate to be nitpicky, but Nixon could not run of the Conservative Party of New York's ticket because the CPNY wasnt created until 1962.:p

But other than that, really cool idea. And I like this new style in your Tl's. (Newspaper articles, books).

Thank you Carpetbagger. I've set a precedent. Nancy Davis is six feet. Bobby Kennedy was five-ten or nine depending on the source. ;) And the Tory UK PM Conrad Black...

Last edited:
Maverick, I plan to redo both Can-Ken and Resurrection City over the Christmas term break in this format. But about the Presidents, I've hinted at what will happen in the future. Nixon's memoirs were written in 1979, Bobby's in 1990. That being said, don't read too much into publication dates. I've said that Conrad Black becomes the Tory British Prime Minister. Nixon said in his memoirs that Ike might've chosen Knowland, and killing doesn't require death either...

Chapter Three: Turmoil at the Top

*Henceforth, the abbreviations are: PPP (Push-Polling to the Presidency, first volume of Bobby's memoirs), ID (Interlocking Dynasties, by the Rt Hon Conrad Black, Prime Minister of the UK), and various newspapers foreign and domestic.

"Jack's condition was worsening, but there was hope, and we were all praying. The doctors eventually managed to pull him back from the brink, but said that he would have to take it easy. On top of it, the operation did little to relieve the pain."

- Push-Polling to the Presidency, Robert F. Kennedy, 1990

"What the doctors didn't know then was that one of Kennedy's legs was shorter than the other, which was impossible to correct artificially, being a birth defect. Anything they did was a mere palliative. The steroids had destroyed his vertebrae from excessive use as a result of faulty medical advice."

- The Dual Dynasty, Prime Minister Conrad Black, 2003- Interview with Dr. Sanjay Gupta

"Dr. Davis (Nancy's father) was quite opinionated on the subject, which was not pleasing to Dad, who had paid for all the operations. He told Dad and I: "Those bastards didn't know that steroids weaken bone structure. They prescribed it like Perrier, and now it has the effect of a fragmented bullet in his spine. That's why he can barely bend over. They screwed Jack for life."

- Push Polling to the Presidency, Robert F. Kennedy, 1990

"Meanwhile, life in Washington continued. In his 1953 State of the Union, Ike called for bipartisanship. It was obvious he preferred working with then-Minority Leader Lyndon Johnson to his own VP Bill Knowland. I was often consulted, since I had worked for Dulles before he became Secretary. By the end of 1953, it was clear that Jack could remain in the Senate, but that he was rank-limited because of medical issues. Not that he always accepted it. He often told me that "I'm as fit as any of them to become President" during football games. Of course all of us knew that putting on a sock was very painful. All of us, including Jackie, told him that many legislators had left a historical footprint without reaching the White House, such as Henry Clay, Daniel Webster, Sam Rayburn, and for the time being, even Lyndon Johnson."

Memoirs

As 1954 opened, the congressional polls were not looking good for the GOP. President Eisenhower was increasingly frustrated with his Vice President, whom he privately thought a "Chiang fanatic, erratic, and often plain silly" and was an opponent of the President's Euro-centric foreign policy. As Eisenhower later told Nixon, he was most enraged when Knowland failed to rebut Senator Goldwater (R-AZ) that the Administration was a "dime-store New Deal". This was nearly the straw that broke the camel's back."

- The 20th Century White House, Sir Martin Gilbert, 2005

"In June 1954, I was appointed to Foreign Relations for the first time. This would give me insight into what I consider to be one of the vital components of national policy, namely foreign policy. In September, the McCarthy censure motion marked a bitter divide in the Republican Party. Lyndon Johnson had whipped the Democrats into a unanimous vote in favour, and I was able to bring most of the conservatives, except for Bricker and Jenner, onboard. This would be a life preserver in November. When the President heard that Knowland was taking a neutral stance on McCarthy, he snapped the pencil and called Art Summerfield at the RNC. That call made a world of difference to all of our futures."

-Memoirs

Nov. 2, 1954- Midterm elections

Democratic: 230 seats
Republican: 205 seats

Speaker-elect: Sam Rayburn (TX-4)

Senate

Republican: 48+ VP
Democratic: 48

Incumbent Majority Leader: Richard Nixon (R-NY)

"In 1955, President Eisenhower sent the first advisors to South Vietnam to advise Premier Diem and his infant state, set up after the 1954 Geneva Accords. On Jan. 28, Lyndon Johnson and myself rammed through a resolution authorizing the President to use military force to protect Chiang Kai-Shek's Nationalists on Formosa from the Communist mainland. Churchill retired at the age of eighty-one, and Eden led the Tories to smooth re-election in May. Dick Daley became Mayor of Chicago, and West Germany gained full independence. The worst was yet to come domestically."

Memoirs

"During most of Ike's first term, I was still leading the civilian life in Boston. Everyone knew who I was, what when your brother-in-law is one of the top five men in Washington and Jack was in the Senate. Still being preoccupied with raising the children, I gave little thought to politics during that period. Not to say it didn't enter my mind, but it wasn't the topic of discussion at family get-togethers"

PPP

"In September 1955, General Juan Peron was ousted as President of Argentina in a military coup, and President Eisenhower had a coronary in Denver. Back in Washington, a power struggle was unfolding between Chief of Staff Sherman Adams and Vice President Knowland. To put an end to the bickering, Dulles shouldered both aside and took over routine management duties, which made Knowland increasingly bitter towards both of them. He was still devoted to Eisenhower, but when the President was informed, he was so livid that Mamie had to calm him down so as not to upset his heart. What Knowland didn't know was that like FDR with Wallace, Eisenhower had reached the end of the tether. Though continuing to offer bland reassurances, the plan being prepared since the previous year was activated."

The 20th Century White House, Sir Martin Gilbert, 2005

"On Dec. 1, 1955, Rosa Parks refused to surrender her seat to a white man on a Birmingham bus. Thus began the civil rights movement, which had been accelerating since the Brown v. Topeka case in '54."

Memoirs

"1956 was a year of decolonization in most of Africa and Asia. Except for the British, and Eden was pursuing a course more Victorian than Churchill himself. In June, I helped pass the Federal Aid Highway Act, thereby creating the IHS, which would later be named after Ike. On July 26, Nasser nationalized the Suez Canal, which sparked outrage on Eden's part and a vehement desire to seize it by force. Since the UK had not made the decision for a phased withdrawal "East of Suez", and their Egyptian garrison, from which they had established a protectorate since Disraeli, had only been withdrawn a few months previously, there were plenty of available forces."

"I will allow the Republican Party to choose whomever they want for the vice-presidential slot. It would not be proper for me to impose Mr. Knowland upon them if they do not desire. Does that mean you will not support the Vice President's renomination? I think you should ask the delegates that question. I will go with their decision."

-President Eisenhower's press conference of Feb. 25, 1956

"Dick, you have a green light. This is from the President himself."

-National Committee Chair Arthur Summerfield to Majority Leader Richard Nixon, June 1956

Republican Convention, Cow Palace, San Francisco, Aug. 20, 1956

"Well I think we should have someone who shares the President's views. Many of us former Democrats have joined the party because of his moderate demeanor, and many in the South dislike the Vice President's vehement partisanship. He will cost us Texas."

- Democrats for Eisenhower Chairwoman Oveta Culp Hobby to a Texas delegate

1st Vice Presidential ballot

Richard Nixon: 575
William Knowland (I): 530

"NIXON NOW! WE WANT NIXON!"

"Mr. Chairman, the Pennsylvania delegation votes for Senator Nixon."
"Mr. Chairman, the proud delegation from Texas votes for Senator Nixon"

"And thence started the bandwagon. Ohio and the South did it."

2nd ballot

Richard Nixon: 855
William Knowland: 400

" I am proud to run with such a great President. Let us begin our journey to a smashing victory in November!"

- Richard Nixon's acceptance speech, 1956

"I couldn't have asked for a better outcome"- President to Mamie Eisenhower, privately

"In July, I was offered the Republican nomination for the 4th District, covering Long Island. The worst outcome would have been taking over Dick's old seat, which was never an option for me."

PPP

"The President is enjoying such a wide lead over Mr. Stevenson, it seems that only the margins will be in doubt."

- Unnamed Democratic strategist.

"And then, in October we had a double whammy. First, Khruschev's butchering of Hungary, crushing a peaceful uprising with airlifted Red Army divisions and armor pouring into Budapest. Then the Suez operation, which the President regarded as pure madness in military terms. "If I'd had an officer like that in charge of ground operations, I'd have busted him to buck private! This is the British Army against a fourth-rate military and they're inching along!" Eisenhower was especially furious at Ben-Gurion's refusal to withdraw. Then and later, this would become part of Israeli political mythology, especially for the Likudniks."

Election Day, Nov. 6, 1956

genusmap.php

(R): Dwight D. Eisenhower/Richard M. Nixon: 470 ECV, 57.3%
(D): Adlai E. Stevenson II/Estes Kefauver: 61 ECV, 42.7%

Incumbent President: Dwight Eisenhower (R)

House elections

Democratic: 235 (+5)
Republican: 200

NY-4

(R): Robert F. Kennedy: 56.3%

Senate elections

Republican: 49 seats (+1)
Democratic: 47 seats

Incumbent Majority Leader: Richard Nixon (R-NY)
Majority Leader-elect: Everett Dirksen (R-IL)

"These four years were high-profile for me, both foreign and domestic. To say that I spent them preparing for 1960 alone would be an overstatement"- Fmr. Pres. Richard Nixon to Conrad Black, 1995

Chapter Four: Foreign Follies, Fiscal Fumbles, Fateful Forgetfullness

Jan. 20, 1957- President Eisenhower's second Inaugural

"Upon my becoming Vice President, the President gave me assignments such as chairing the President's Committee on Civil Rights, being a personal Presidential envoy to regions as different as Venezuela, Britain, India and the Philippines. The work was stimulating and always fascinating. Eden had resigned after Suez, with Macmillan succeeding him as Prime Minister. Eisenhower, Macmillan and de Gaulle formed the leadership of the Free World, with Adenauer in support. Nehru was an impressive man, but couldn't get past our aid to Pakistan or his Fabian socialist ideology. His daughter was no better once she became Prime Minister."

Memoirs

Office of the Vice President
Manila, Oct. 10, 1957

"Bob,

Manila hasn't been the same since Magsaysay died in that plane crash in June. Garcia is a shadow of a great man, like Truman to Roosevelt. The man to watch over here is the Senate majority leader, Ferdinand Marcos. He and Congressman Macapagal are the two candidates for '61 or '65 depending on how things turn out. Nehru is a strange bird, but Diem has great potential. He's surrounded by lackeys, sycophants and incompetents, but if we could get him some better staff he could be a leader in S.E. Asia. Hope all is well back in Washington."

"Dick,

Hardly a day goes by here without me being bored out of my skull. The President is putting through hardly any legislation, as you presumably know and Halleck is pathetic. Rayburn is as commanding as ever, but he's slowing down. Hope to see you soon.

Bob

"As 1958 opened the midterms dominated my thinking. As Eisenhower's political guru, we had to hold our current totals or keep losses to a minimum to get a boost for '60. The Democratic ticket would be Humphrey-Johnson, that was clear. Johnson was easily the best qualified of the bunch, but he was from Texas and a heart attack victim. The previous Southern President, Woodrow Wilson, was of an entirely different mould, being from Reconstruction-era Virginia and Georgia, with corresponding views on race. One of my most important tasks in the spring of that year was coordinating the Baghdad Pact with Dulles. We, along with his brother Allan, convinced the President to offer military aid to the new Arab Federation, and help support King Faisal against Nasserite factions in the Iraqi military. CIA stations in Baghdad, Saigon and Manila were set up during that year. In July, Alaska and Hawaii entered the Union as the 49th and 50th states respectively.

ALASKA, HAWAII 49TH AND 50TH STATES OF THE UNION

"In June, General de Gaulle assumed the Premiership of France, with dictatorial powers for six months while the Fifth Republic was being organized. This was in response to the Algerian War, where the military had seized power when Gov. Gen. Robert Lacoste had handed over to Major-General Jacques Massu as Chief Martial Law Administrator, ironically General Khan's title in Pakistan. De Gaulle visited Algiers and was acclaimed by independitists and military officers alike. This was the calm before the storm in France."

"On July 14, Nasserite factions of the Iraqi military attempted to seize power. The coup was reversed by royalist forces with British and US assistance, as had been done in 1953 in Iran. Unlike Iran, only moral and logistical support was provided."

Middle East Since 1900, Sir Martin Gilbert, 1996

"As the midterm elections were approaching, we were hit with a "microburst" recession. This spelled the end of any chance we had to hold our gains in November. The President had a positively Dickensian notion that there could be no deficits, no matter if we were shut out congressionally."

Memoirs

"In the fall, the FAA gained total authority over the nation's skies, and the Fifth Republic came into being."

PIUS XII DEAD, CONCLAVE MEETS

"On Oct. 26, the white smoke became visible, and the new Pope was John XXIII. He was a reformer and quickly summoned the Vatican II Council, which had met in a previous guise for entirely opposite purposes nearly ninety years earlier."

Nov. 4, 1958- Midterm elections

House elections

Democratic: 259 (+26)
Republican: 178

Senate elections

Democratic: 65 seats (+16)
Republican: 35 seats

Majority Leader-elect: Lyndon Johnson (D-TX)

"Breaking News. President Eisenhower has suffered a severe heart attack at the White House. His condition is reportedly stable but weakening."

CBS News, Feb. 15, 1959

"We have just been informed that Vice-President Richard Nixon has been summoned to the White House with Secretary Dulles. The doctors are trying their best, but all they have managed to do is temporarily stabilize the President's condition."

9 p.m. update

"General, that's a prostatic obstruction. Fix that now!"

"Beep-beep... BEEP-"

2330 hours

BREAKING NEWS: PRESIDENT EISENHOWER DEAD OF COMBINED STROKE AND PROSTRATIC OBSTRUCTION AT AGE 69.

"I, Richard Milhous Nixon, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

-President Nixon's swearing-in by Chief Justice Earl Warren, Feb. 15, 1959.

"This was not the way I had hoped to become President, having begun preparations for 1960, but I was played the hands I was dealt"

Memoirs

"When Dick became President, this was a shock to all of us because it was so abrupt. Dulles was also ailing, and the following week he retired as Secretary of State. Christian Herter became Secretary, and this was a double blow within a month. Thousands of people lined to the Capitol Rotunda to say farewell to their beloved President Eisenhower."

PPP, Robert F. Kennedy, 1990

"I would have given all I had not to be standing here today. But let us continue down the path which was blazed by Dwight Eisenhower. He now belongs to God, posterity, and memory."

-President Richard Nixon addressing a Joint Congressional Session, Feb. 19, 1959

"After Dulles' death, I decided not to replace the Cabinet until after the 1960 election. I knew what I needed to do, and had a list already. We gave Mamie whatever she requested of me and more. In May 1959 I signed legislation naming the Highway System, which she said meant a great deal to him, after President Eisenhower. I attended the summit with Khruschev which had been planned the previous year. It wasn't a spectular breakthrough, but the Camp David meeting was a beginning."

Memoirs

During the rest of 1959, little occurred in the United States, but Fidel Castro had successfully overthrown General Batista in Havana. What made it even more fascinating was that Batista was a nominal socialist with Communist support until the mid-fifties.

"I hereby declare my candidacy for President of the United States."

- Senator Hubert Humphrey, Jan. 3, 1960

"The person you select as your President, the burden he carries, the knowledge he bears, may well determine whether you live as free men. That is why I am a candidate for the Democratic nomination"

- Senator Lyndon Johnson, Jan. 14, 1960

"The key factors were to sweep the primaries, period. If it went into the back rooms, that would be Dick Daley's decision, then I'd really be in trouble"

Education of a Public Man, Hubert Humphrey, 1974

"As the spring of 1960 unfolded, Humphrey beat Johnson in most of the primaries, but could not win without Johnson in November. Richard Daley was a very strong Johnson supporter, and he made his views known on multiple occasions."

- History of the U.S. Democratic Party, Caroline Kennedy, 2007

Democratic National Convention, July 8, 1960

1st ballot

Hubert H. Humphrey- 840
Lyndon B. Johnson: 450
Rest scattered

Vice-Presidential balloting

Lyndon B. Johnson- unanimous voice vote

"My friends, we need a choice to represent America in all its diversity, one of the great traditions of this nation. As Vice President, I have chosen Hugh Scott, our distinguished Senator from Pennsylvania, as my running mate. This is not just a ticket-balancing act, this is simply the best man in America for the job."

- President Nixon's 1960 Convention Address

"As the campaign progressed, we were not worried at all. At the time, I was stumping in New York, because I wanted to unseat Jack Javits in '62. but there was never a doubt as to how the election would turn out."

PPP

Oct. 4, 1960- JAVITS KILLED IN PLATTSBURGH CAR CRASH

Oct. 15, 1960- ROCKEFELLER APPOINTS KENNEDY

Polling data

Republican: 56%
Democratic: 44%

Nov. 8, 1960, Election Day.

genusmap.php

(R): Richard M. Nixon/ Hugh D. Scott Jr.: 357 ECV, 57.6%
(D): Hubert H. Humphrey/ Lyndon B. Johnson: 169 ECV, 41.4%
(I): Harry F. Byrd/ Strom Thurmond, 11 ECV, 2%

Incumbent President: Richard Nixon (R)
President-elect: Richard Nixon (R)

Last edited:
I think New York Senator Richard Nixon would win in New York. OTL's Californian Nixon only lost it to Kennedy by 5 points. Also, I think California would go Humphrey without a Californian on the GOP's ballot. That being said, Humphrey would also lose in the South IMO. Humphrey was and out and out integrationist in 1960, JFK was still pretty tepid when it came to Civil Rights. So at least some more parts of the South would go Nixon or third party.

Good TL though. Much better than Can-Ken.

Actually, the idea for Eastern Entrance was from a term paper. I always thought RFK and Nixon were very similar, with the main difference being that Nixon's ambition came from his insecurity, and Bobby's from security.

Wait a second, Did Nelson Rockefeller, The Republican Governor of New York, just nominate Democrat Kennedy to the Senate? I think somethings off there. Even if Rocky was somewhat liberal, he wouldn't have appointed Kennedy. In Fact, Kennedy's residence wasn't even in New York at this point......

Carpetbagger, Bobby Kennedy is now a Republican. He moved to New York in 1950 when he married Nancy (who can be credited for the apostasy). Sorry if I didn't make this clear. .."because of Nancy, I had secretly apostasized politically"

I will give you a taste of what is to come. The rest is for tomorrow...

Chapter Five: Power Projection

"I'd really like Bobby in Cabinet, but he needs to serve in the Senate for a while. He would be my de facto deputy in domestic affairs. Foreign affairs is between myself and the two Henrys. Of course he should sit in my chair, preferably sooner than later."

President Nixon to Chief of Staff Bob Haldeman, Dec. 22, 1960

Jan. 20, 1961- President Nixon's Inauguration

Nixon I Cabinet

Vice President: Hugh Scott

Secretary of the Treasury: George Romney

Secretary of State: Henry Kissinger

Attorney General: Bill Rogers

HEW Secretary: Caspar Weinberger

Secretary of Defense: Tom Gates

Secretary of Labor: Jim Mitchell

Interior Secretary: Bob Finch

Postmaster General: Arthur Summerfield

Chief of Staff: Bob Haldeman

National Security Advisor: General Vernon Walters

U.S. Trade Representative: Robert Anderson

Special Assistant to the President: Pat Moynihan

In the first weeks of the new Administration, President Nixon met British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan and President de Gaulle in Paris to discuss US-European relations. They were still as warm, if not more so, than during the Eisenhower years. Nixon discussed the French-German treaty, which Macmillan described as "pure symbolism". De Gaulle warned Nixon not to get involved in a land war in Indochina, and Nixon said that he would only deploy US forces if the North Vietnamese launched a conventional attack on the South. Nixon consulted Generals Taylor and MacArthur, and both agreed with de Gaulle's assessment. The President did order Special Forces to Vietnam to train the ARVN, which was "somewhat lacking professionalism", as Taylor delicately put it. As Ambassador to South Vietnam, he chose Robert Kintner, and ordered Henry Cabot Lodge to Tel Aviv.

"In March, I met with Diem in Saigon. He was quite opposed to social reforms, being of mandarin stock, Diem thought it beneath him to cater to peasants. I said, "Mr. President, if you have the allegiance of the villages, you won't need the men in the cafes. You and I can take care of them. If the average peasant is disloyal, the situation's hopeless. He was rather shocked, but quickly came around."

Furlough at Foggy Bottom,
Henry Kissinger, 1987

"On civil rights, I thought that we had to lead the way. In May, we had to send marshals into Alabama to protect the Freedom Riders. I had two Southern advisors who would be invaluable. One was John Tower (R-TX), who was the first Republican Southern senator since Reconstruction. The other was Jimmy Byrnes. Byrnes was the unofficial ambassador to the South, with unimpeachable credentials among all involved. He had tried to uphold Plessy as Governor by raising the black school system to the level of the white public system. Tower would tell me how it was affecting our chances in the South. And that's how it remained for the rest of my Presidency."

Memoirs

"In June, I visited Canada to meet with Prime Minister Diefenbaker, who was interested in maintaining the good relations he'd had with Eisenhower. It was clear that he distrusted the US and that Pearson would be a better bet to try and get a tariffs agreement. Macmillan was irked considerably when, out of the blue, he decided to shift 15% of Canadian trade to the UK. This could only be accomplished if a free-trade agreement was signed. It turned out to be political grandstanding to Eurocentrics in the Conservative Party, so I waited for the voters of Canada to judge him in 1962..."

Memoirs

"I was enjoying myself immensely in the Senate. Having a brother-in-law in the White House had its perks, including inside information available to few others. Meanwhile, I had regained my close relationship with Jack. He said that "Dick's been very good to all of us, and it wouldn't be fair for me to hold a grudge." We recovered the unity that had temporarily taken a backseat. Now that I was reassured on that front, I could devote more time to the children. During Dick's first term, Nancy often had parties at the Long Island mansion, as well as UN Plaza. We came to the WH usually once a week. Those parties are still going on today."

-PPP

"In September 1961, we began planning domestic legislation, including the Public Housing Act of 1962, which bridged the gap between desegregation and privatization, absolutely vital politically."

Memoirs

20th Century White House, Sir Martin Gilbert, 2005

"The PHA allowed owners of low-cost rental housing in underprivileged areas to be able to own their flats. As James Byrnes and President Nixon told Senator Eastland: "Jim, are you against people being able to own their own home? I thought Democrats were for full employment and home ownership. He then said: " I could never support it, but I won't hold it up in the Committee."

In the meantime, Manila had seen an incumbent ousted from Malacanang.

Nacionalista Party Presidential Primary, 1961

President Carlos P. Garcia (I): 43.6%
Majority Leader Ferdinand Marcos (N-IN): 57.4%

Philippine Presidential election, November 1961

Sen. Ferdinand E. Marcos: 53.4%
Sen. Diosdado Macapagal: 46.6%

Incumbent President: Carlos Garcia (N)
President-elect: Ferdinand Marcos (N)

Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos on his Inaugural, Jan. 3, 1962

f4e02020070504093042281.jpg

In April 1962, Prime Minister Nehru's Congress was returned with a supermajority in the Lok Sabha, but Canadian voters were not as generous to John Diefenbaker...

Canadian federal election, June 10 1962

Liberal: 119 seats
Progressive Conservative: 100 seats
Social Credit: 27 seats
NDP: 19 seats

Incumbent PM: John Diefenbaker (PC)
Prime Minister-designate: Lester Pearson (Lib)

"On Aug. 7, 1962 I received Pearson at the White House. We immediately developed a rapport which would serve us well in later years. Our long-term goal was an FTA, but in the meantime tariff reductions would suffice."

Memoirs

"Civil rights became our pressing domestic priority. With James Meredith's application to Ole Miss, the issue couldn't be ignored. I informed Gov. Barnett that if state officials couldn't protect Meredith, the Guard would be federalized and sent to Oxford. I ordered Tom Gates to prepare a deployment in case things went terribly downhill. Harold Sanders and Jimmy Byrnes went to Mississippi and met with Barnett. He initially refused, but Byrnes talked to the businessmen backing Barnett, and money, as always, talked. Barnett, after making a theatrical speech denouncing "the Central Government" quietly allowed him to register. This was what negotiation could achieve, but voting and civil rights acts were needed to remedy the situation. I wanted to accomplish this without resurrecting the Dixiecrat party, defunct since 1948. The Democrats were splitting along the Mason-Dixon line, with Northerners supporting us, Lyndon Johnson keeping his peace, though he disapproved, and the Southerners vehemently denouncing "Yankee interference". John Connally made a speech saying that "The President has made clear that this is a nationwide problem and is not a hypocrite. The Northerners scream that we are the only problem. Senator Thurmond said "if you favor Negro rights, why keep your Harlem?". That is the question they should be asking themselves before they criticize something a Yankee cannot be expected to understand. The Republican Party offers concrete solutions, not liberal twaddle."

"The Americans show no sign of invading Cuba. Nixon will not tolerate your plan. I can personally vouch for this."

- Nikita Khrushchev to Leonid Brezhnev, Central Committee, Sept. 21, 1962

House elections, Nov. 7, 1962

Democratic: 234 (-15)
Republican: 201

Senate elections

Democratic: 66 seats (+1)
Republican: 34 seats

New York Senate race

(R): Robert F. Kennedy: 60.7%

California gubernatorial election, 1962

(D): Atty. Gen Pat Brown: 54.7%
(R): Gov. Goodwin J. Knight (inc): 45.3%

On Jan. 10, 1963, President Nixon called for an acceleration of the space race in his State of the Union. "Let no man say it cannot be done. It must be done and we have undertaken to do it."

"NON"- President de Gaulle vetoing Britain's EEC entry, Jan. 29, 1963

Feb. 10, 1963- Prime Minister Harold Macmillan and Abdul Tunku Rahman, the Premier of Malaya, enter final negotiations for an independent Malaysia by 1965. On Feb. 24, he relieves Secretary of War John Profumo of his post.

"On April 12, Dr. King and Ralph Abernathy were arrested in Birmingham for "parading without a permit". This intensified my desire to put through a Civil Rights Act, and later a Voting Rights Act. I asked Bill Rogers to begin drafting one. Jimmy Byrnes gave invaluable advice on how to maintain our foothold in the South. On Apr. 25, Hubert Humphrey declared his support for a civil rights bill, as did most of the Northern Democrats. I asked Jack to vote for it, but not to stump. Why? If he did, Bobby would have major problems up ahead, as would I in keeping the South from forming a third party."

May 4, 1963- Prime Minister Macmillan dissolves Parliament for a June 14 election.

May 8- President Diem announces a nationwide land reform program. Amb. Kintner persuades him to allow a Buddhist march through downtown Saigon.

June 3- Pope John XXIII dies.

June 13- UK general election

Conservative: 371 seats (+6)
Labour: 271 seats
Liberal: 6 seats

Incumbent Prime Minister: Harold Macmillan (Tory)

"By the summer of 1963, I was ready to introduce the Civil Rights Act in September. We prepared all through the summer, and the bill was introduced to the House on Sept. 3. Lyndon Johnson wanted to run in 1964, but if he did, he would have to denounce the Civil Rights Act, which he believed in. The Republicans and Northern Democrats made 78 senators, eleven more than needed to override the Southern filibuster. I wanted there to be at least one Southern vote in favor, but that was extremely unlikely."

Oct. 12- House passes Civil Rights Act 325-110. Only six Southerners vote for it, including Rep. Jake Pickle (D-TX).

Nov. 2- Senate passes Civil Rights Act of 1963 77-23 using cloture. President Nixon resolves to make the economy the main issue in the upcoming campaign. Polling data shows the South splitting between the Democratic and Republican Parties.

Nov. 22- WALLACE SHOT, KILLED IN BIRMINGHAM, BREWER SWORN IN

Dec. 10, 1963: Met with Dick today. He wants me to join the Cabinet after the election. Said I could not get Southern support if I had to administer those acts. I wanted to be re-elected to the Senate. Said he agreed, but if a vacancy occurred, he would appoint me to any domestic Cabinet post.

Jan. 3, 1964- Lyndon Johnson declares his candidacy for the Democratic nomination. He endorses the Civil Rights Act.

Jan. 12, 1964- Hubert Humphrey announces his candidacy, having also endorsed the Civil Rights Act.

Jan. 27, 1964- Texas Gov. John Connally calls on Southerners to abstain from voting or vote Republican "if only because Nixon's going slow. Those liberal Yankees will shove it down our throats. Whatever you do, do not vote Democratic."

Mar. 31, 1964- Goulart overthrown in US-backed military coup.

Apr. 10, 1964- Lyndon Johnson becomes the presumptive Democratic nominee. He chooses Stuart Symington as his running mate.

"In May I asked Henry to sound out Ayub Khan on opening a back channel with the PRC. He was immediately enthusiastic. This had to be done in absolute secrecy, and we received friendly signals back."

Memoirs

May 27, 1964- NEHRU DEAD, DESAI APPOINTED PM

June 21, 1964- CIVIL RIGHTS WORKERS MISSING IN MISS.

Sept. 20, 1964- President Diem appoints Lt. Gen. Nguyen Van Thieu Army Chief of Staff and Maj. Gen. Nguyen Cao Ky head of Air Force Northern Command, in charge of offensive operations.

Oct. 3, 1964- President Nixon authorizes the sale of A-4 Skyhawks, M60 Pattons, and A-7 Corsairs to South Vietnam. The program is entitled Peace Swallow I.

Oct. 15- KHRUSCHEV PREVENTS COUP, BREZHNEV, KOSYGIN BANISHED

Oct. 19- PRC EXPLODES A-BOMB

Nov. 3, 1964- Election Day.

genusmap.php

(R): Richard M. Nixon/ Hugh D. Scott Jr.: 331 ECV, 54.7%
(D): Lyndon B. Johnson/ Stuart Symington: 207 ECV, 43.3%

House results

Democratic: 223 seats
Republican: 212 seats

Senate results

Democratic: 63 seats (-3)
Republican: 36 seats

George H.W. Bush (R-TX) defeats Ralph Yarborough (D-TX)
Bud Wilkinson (R-OK) defeats Fred Harris (D-OK)
Howard Baker (R-TN) defeats Ross Bass (D-TN)

Incumbent President: Richard Nixon (R)

Dec. 22, 1964- President Nixon appoints James Byrnes Special Counsel to the President.

Last edited: