Protestant Influence on Orthodoxy

What would the effects of Protestantism (specifically Lutheranism) be if it were to fused with or forced upon either say the Greek Orthodox and/or Slavic Orthodox Churches?

I ask because in the TL I'm current working on basically Lutheran Monarchs are placed (or will be placed) on the thrones of various Orthodox countries. This led me to the idea they either over time or at the decree of a Monarchy a fusion of Orthodoxy and Protestantism may arise.

What would the effects of Protestantism (specifically Lutheranism) be if it were to fused with or forced upon either say the Greek Orthodox and/or Slavic Orthodox Churches?

I ask because in the TL I'm current working on basically Lutheran Monarchs are placed (or will be placed) on the thrones of various Orthodox countries. This led me to the idea they either over time or at the decree of a Monarchy a fusion of Orthodoxy and Protestantism may arise.

Martin Luther, along with other early reformers, actually appealed to the Orthodox churches for protection and legitimacy again Rome. In some ways Luther would have meshed well doctrinally with Orthodoxy: he maintained some Marian veneration and even celebrated the Assumption, which the Orthodox churches celebrate as the Dormition feast. On the other hand, Luther rejected the Canon of the Mass, the idea of Mass as a literal sacrifice for propitiation, and transubstantiation. While the Orthodox have a different view on how the Eucharist is confected, they also believe that Jesus is physically and totally present in the Body and Blood, something Luther also eventually rejected in favor of a consubstantial union (i.e. the bread and wine remain bread and wine but also become the Body and Blood.)

Catherine the Great was reared as a German Lutheran -- it might be interesting to see the way in which she reconciled her previous Lutheran faith with her participation in Russian Orthodoxy. I'm not sure, but I think she westernized the Russian liturgy to some degree, or perhaps that was Peter the Great.

In sum I would find a fusion of Lutheranism and Orthodoxy difficult, given that even the most "liturgically Catholic" of Lutheran churches (like the Swedes and Finns) greatly de-emphasized the veneration of saints and Mary as compared to pre-Reformation standards. In contrast, the Orthodox have an intense love of Marian veneration, even more than the Roman Catholics in my opinion. I also don't think that the Orthodox would also take kindly to a change in their Eucharistic theology to consubstantiation -- such a change, even if forced, would likely be charged immediately as heresy. I think that the most feasible and peaceful way for a Lutheran to control an Orthodox realm would be to tolerate both a Lutheran synod and an eparchy, even if the Orthodox are slightly disadvantaged by not participating in the aristocratic life of the state. At least the common people could continue to hear their Orthodox liturgy, and remain at peace with the civil authorities.

Prussian Rationalism of the late 18th and early 19th centuries provide a challenging view of what happens when rulers try to centrally plan theology and liturgy. Prussian rationalism destroyed much of the high church liturgy and Latin language influence of the German Lutheran church, as well as some aspects of orthodox Lutheran doctrine. The Prussian kings were Calvinist rulers of a Lutheran people. Their decision to partially Calvinize the Lutherans eventually "worked", but by force. The legacy lives on today -- most of the EKD churches are joint Calvinist-Lutheran churches, but this forced merger was a marriage of convenience that has caused a lot of theological incompatibilities even to the present day.

Last edited:
There was one moment in history when some Orthodox thought about Protestantization of the Church. In 1596 most Orthodox believers in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth refused to recognize the Union of Brest, which reunited their Church with the Apostolic See. However, most of their bishops supported the Union, and the Crown did all what it could to prevent consecration of new Orthodox bishops for the PLC, as old bishops-opponents of the Union died one by one. Till 1620, there was a real danger of extinction of Orthodox hierarchy in Ukraine and Belorussia, and, as result, extinction of the Church, because only bishop could consecrate believer as deacon or priest. In such critical situation, some Orthodox writers proposed to consecrate their priests without bishop's consent, by vote of parishioners. Such bishop-less Church would be very similar in organization (but not in theological positions) to the Calvinist communities.
Catherine the Great was reared as a German Lutheran -- it might be interesting to see the way in which she reconciled her previous Lutheran faith with her participation in Russian Orthodoxy. I'm not sure, but I think she westernized the Russian liturgy to some degree, or perhaps that was Peter the Great.
Impossible. Peter the Great made organization of the Church very close to the German Protestant standards (abolition of Patriarchal office, Synod as counterpart of consistory, bishops appointed by the monarch). Catherine the Great secularized ecclesiastical landholdings. But none of them even dared to think about changes in the sacred Liturgy.
In 17th century Tsar Alexis, Peter's father, in concert with then-Patriarch Nikon and majority of bishops made some minor changes in the texts of the Liturgy (most of the changes were in spelling only). People reacted with uprisings, emigration, mass suicides and so on.

Well King Otto's wife Queen Amalia was a protestant and she was never quite liked in Greece... there were 2 attempts to assassinate her... Orthodox people are generally quite conservative about their religion... Patriarch of Constantinople Cyrill I was deposed 2 times with only the suspicion that he could be a Calvinistic thinker (not actually being a Calvinist but only a mere thinker of Calvinism)... If there is a Lutheran Monarch for a Greek/Slavic Orthodox country he had to convert to orthodoxy as a prerequiste...

Well King Otto's wife Queen Amalia was a protestant and she was never quite liked in Greece... there were 2 attempts to assassinate her... Orthodox people are generally quite conservative about their religion... Patriarch of Constantinople Cyrill I was deposed 2 times with only the suspicion that he could be a Calvinistic thinker (not actually being a Calvinist but only a mere thinker of Calvinism)... If there is a Lutheran Monarch for a Greek/Slavic Orthodox country he had to convert to orthodoxy as a prerequiste...
Well this is several decades earlier then Cyril I(who I didn't know about and could be quite useful), and the Monarchs are from the Protestant Junior Habsburg Line (they're not actually Lutherans in name but the Imperial Church is basically the Lutheran Church had Lutheran gotten his way on almost everything), and while they could convert, I'd prefer that Protestantism and Orthodoxy could just peacefully coexist, if Protestantism isn't likely to influence Orthodoxy.

Philip

Donor

Are you aware of the dialogue between Melanchthon and Jeremias? At least early on in their development, Lutherans were interested in establishing their legitimacy by uniting with the Eastern Churches.

Well, anything is possible, but I would suggest looking into Melanchthon's interactions with Orthodoxy to get an idea of how it might go. For a more modern possibility, look into the new Finnish interpretation of Luther. It is a result of a dialogue between Finnish Lutheran and Russian Orthodox theologians.

Well this is several decades earlier then Cyril I(who I didn't know about and could be quite useful), and the Monarchs are from the Protestant Junior Habsburg Line (they're not actually Lutherans in name but the Imperial Church is basically the Lutheran Church had Lutheran gotten his way on almost everything), and while they could convert, I'd prefer that Protestantism and Orthodoxy could just peacefully coexist, if Protestantism isn't likely to influence Orthodoxy.

In that case, Finland might be an example for you - the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland and the Finnish Orthodox Church have equal status in the country.