Map contest reboot?

I think that the map contests in their current form are unworkable, and after being inspired by other creative forums (particularly ConceptArt.org) I have come up with a reboot idea.

1) Rather then having a limited run, the contest is a continuous stream of map challenges.

2) We have a contest thread in which people post map contest ideas, and they are chosen either by some system of popular support or mod selection.This way we can have a wide range of different ideas.

3) Once the contest idea is chosen then the contest runs for a week/fortnight. Once it is closed the voting is done via public poll to choose the winner of that round.

4) No eventual winner or final round, rather you just accumulate wins.

I really like map contests, and I think this would be a good way to continue them.

Thoughts?

Highlander

Banned
Considering it is hopeless that I would ever win one in their current state, I fully support this measure.

It would have to be carefully monitored though, so it wouldn't get spammed by n00bs.

Good idea- it would be nice to have something where people could just drop in and out as the mood takes them, or if the subject matter particularly appeals.

Me and several others tried starting a continuation of map challenges about a year ago, but stopped because the interest died after the fourth one or so. I still support the idea though.

I motion that we start up a possible suggestions thread?

Seconded, although we need a mod. Maybe Shadow Knight would do so, since he ran the previous map contests. I want to compete rather then control it. :p

I also think that we shouldn't limit the maps to just Alternate History. I think fantasy/ASB/future map challenges should be considered.

Is there much need for a non-competing moderator? The way I see it, the moderator in question would not be involved in choosing the winner in any other way than the other participants, so he might as well compete.

Is there much need for a non-competing moderator? The way I see it, the moderator in question would not be involved in choosing the winner in any other way than the other participants, so he might as well compete.

I guess thats true. Unless anyone has any objections I'd like to take up the position.

So what should the position on topics be? I suggest two options that every week I gather the suggestions and randomly select the topic.

What do people think? Also should the rounds last a week or two weeks?
I think that the voting period should be a week, but I'm open to suggestions.

I think that the period for submitting maps should be 2 weeks, then a week for voting. I for one take a while to get a map the exact way I want it.

So a three week cycle, two weeks of mapping, one week of voting. Sounds good to me.

Any more thoughts/questions before I post the Idea thread?

Best of luck to you Scarecrow. I'm glad to passing on the Map Contest torch even if I don't think the previous method was 'unworkable' (it worked for years didn't it?) as it was designed to be a yearly (or semi-yearly) deal.

In any case I look forward to seeing all the new maps.

I think it would be good to have one ultimate winner after a certain amount of challenges. Perhaps make every 5 challenges a 'stage' and whoever wins the most challenges within the stage gets the stage trophy.

ninebucks

Banned
I think rather than having one or more independent judges, it'd be better if the participants themselves voted for the winner - by sending PMs to the thread-starter with their vote. It'd then just be a case of the thread-starter tallying up the votes of the participants and then announcing the result at the end of the fortnight.