Julian rebuilds the Jewish Temple

First, some background from Wikipedia:

"Attempt to rebuild the Jewish Temple
In 363, not long before Julian left Antioch to launch his campaign against Persia, in keeping with his effort to foster religions other than Christianity, he ordered the Temple rebuilt.[93] A personal friend of his, Ammianus Marcellinus, wrote this about the effort:
“Julian thought to rebuild at an extravagant expense the proud Temple once at Jerusalem, and committed this task to Alypius of Antioch. Alypius set vigorously to work, and was seconded by the governor of the province; when fearful balls of fire, breaking out near the foundations, continued their attacks, till the workmen, after repeated scorchings, could approach no more: and he gave up the attempt.”
The failure to rebuild the Temple has been ascribed to the Galilee earthquake of 363, and to the Jews' ambivalence about the project. Sabotage is a possibility, as is an accidental fire. Divine intervention was the common view among Christian historians of the time.[94] Julian's support of Jews, coming after the hostility of many earlier Emperors, meant that Jews called him Julian the Hellene.[95]"
----------------------------
In 360, a tremendous earthquake ravages the Galilee and destroys the town of Sepphori. A Jewish citizen, Elias Hosius, loses everything in the earthquake and decides to join the army to make a living. When he hears that Julian is going to be personally leading the Roman army into Persia to take on the Persians, he joins the forces. He serves with distinction and eventually is promoted to be part of the emperor's personal guard. The emperor hears him talk about God and is concerned that he's Christian. However, Elias takes off his robe and points down. Julian is satisfied he's not Christian and accepts him. He eventually informs Elias that he's thinking of rebuilding the Jewish temple.

Fast forward to June 363. Julian and his forces are fighting the Persians. Elias sees a Persian hiding in the bushes, in the process of throwing his spear at Julian. Julian doesn't. Elias screams and pushes Julian out of the way. Elias takes the spear in the leg and is fatally wounded. Julian thinks this is the work of the gods -- had Elias not intervened, the emperor would have been killed!

Julian asks Elias if he has any last requests or suggestions. Elias says that many people in Galilee lost everything in an earthquake. Elias thinks that it is God's will that Julian rebuild the Jewish temple -- if there's ever been a time for support in the community it's now, and an act of God -- the earthquake -- brought Elias to Julian's service. Julian thinks it's a good idea and says he'll try to do it if he's got the money. In the meantime, he badgers Satilius or whatever his name was (whoever the alternative was to Jovian -- the guy who refused the crown and was a pagan) as his successor.

Fast forward three years. It's 366. Julian has held his own with the Persians and come back with a lot of booty. He remembers Elias's request and announces that he's going to rebuild the temple. Julian also mentions that he's had an idea and thinks Christianity may be problematic -- what a better way to start to undo Christianity than by reinstating the temple which was the basis for the original Judaism?

What do you think happens next? Note that he has named a respected pagan has his successor.

Last edited:
The "seen the light" bit is a bit weird--when I first read it, I thought you were going to have him becoming a Christian again.

"Had an idea" might be better.

About rebuilding the Temple, wasn't his reasons for trying to do it the first time because he thought it would undermine Christianity?

I've edited the text to "has an idea". Thanks!

I wouldn't be surprised if rebuilding the Temple was intended to undermine Christianity, but I don't know for certain.

I wonder what the Christians would do if the Temple was rebuilt. Would they start doing sacrifices again? I would expect with all those sects running around (Arians and so forth) you could get some sects which required that worshipers make pilgrimages to the Temple.

Note that I deliberately chose the name of the Jewish soldier to be Elias, after Elijah. Elijah of course is to foretell the arrival of the Jewish Messiah (though I'm not sure if this tradition comes after the age of Julian). This could allow a Jew to believe that Julian is a candidate for the Messiah (though obviously he isn't from the line of David and so forth).

I got Hosius from Hoshea, a possible candidate for Jesus's Hebrew name.

ACG

Philip

Donor
I wonder what the Christians would do if the Temple was rebuilt. Would they start doing sacrifices again?

No. There is really no chance of that.

I would expect with all those sects running around (Arians and so forth)
I think you overestimate the differences between the Arians and Nicenes.

you could get some sects which required that worshipers make pilgrimages to the Temple.
Christians were already making pilgrimages to Jerusalem. However, requiring that they go to a Jewish Temple? You would need to completely reconstruct Christianity to require that.

This could allow a Jew to believe that Julian is a candidate for the Messiah (though obviously he isn't from the line of David and so forth).

A pagan as Messiah? No. Zero chance of that working.

Even if Julian can't be the Messiah (which I expected was a ridiculously long shot anyway), the fact that the Temple is being rebuilt may make the Jews think that one of their own is the Messiah and isn't telling anyone.

Some Christians might visit the new temple due to its historical importance, but I really doubt any will start making sacrifices there.

At this point, the sacrificial theology was very well established and I'm pretty sure the Book of Hebrews (which described how the old Jewish practices are no longer necessary) is accepted by everybody, even the Arians.

However, could the new Temple provide some kind of boost to a neo-Ebionite movement, or at the very least, a more Jewish sort of Christianity?

What I'm also curious about would be the development of Islam in a world with a Jewish temple (assuming it's still around in 300 years).

Philip

Donor
At this point, the sacrificial theology was very well established and I'm pretty sure the Book of Hebrews (which described how the old Jewish practices are no longer necessary) is accepted by everybody, even the Arians.

Correct. The Arian view in this matter is completely consistent with the Nicene view. I am sure someone can dig up some minor, obscure sect that rejected Hebrews, but I would bet that they would reject much of the rest of the NT as well.

However, could the new Temple provide some kind of boost to a neo-Ebionite movement, or at the very least, a more Jewish sort of Christianity?

I would expect the opposite to happen. The Christians are likely to strengthen opposition to whom they see as Judaizers. Imperial support for Judaism will likely decrease the need for some Jewish communities to pretend to be Christian.

Philip

Donor
What I'm also curious about would be the development of Islam in a world with a Jewish temple (assuming it's still around in 300 years).

What Islam?

If you believe that Muhammad is as Islam describes him, then Islam would develop much the same. If you believe that Muhammad is not as Islam describes him, then there is no reason to expect there to be any Islam given your PoD.

Correct. The Arian view in this matter is completely consistent with the Nicene view. I am sure someone can dig up some minor, obscure sect that rejected Hebrews, but I would bet that they would reject much of the rest of the NT as well.

Plus at this point, those sects might not even exist anymore.

(IIRC the Ebionites died out within a century)

Philip

Donor
(IIRC the Ebionites died out within a century)

Yes and no. The Christian writers in the 4th (or so) Century still mention them, but it seems to be a reuse of the name rather than an actual continuation of the group. They seem to use the term to mean 'People claiming to be Christians, but are really Jews'.