Ark Royal (R09) in the Falklands

Thande

Donor
I'm not sure the Argies would still have invaded. Wasn't part of their motivation the fact that they thought we were going to sell our carriers? If we still had Ark Royal, they might not believe that.

With 4xAEW, 14xPhantom FG1, 12xBuccaneer, 7x ASW Sea King and a few GS aircraft only a US carrier group would be able to face the task force. If there were Harriers along as well as The Ark then it would be even more capable.

I'm not sure the Argies would still have invaded. Wasn't part of their motivation the fact that they thought we were going to sell our carriers? If we still had Ark Royal, they might not believe that.

According to what I have read in numerous books, they thought the British wouldn't respond, and wouldn't get any international support to retake a colony in the unlikely event that they did (and that the OAS would support Argentina as well). The invasion was modelled on the 1961 Indian invasion of Goa, and was called Operation Goa for a reason.

According to Razor's Edge, which I reviewed here http://www.operationcorporate.com/p1_books_razors_edge.php , they also basically thought that the British had lost their balls (and therefore wouldn't fight). I seem to remember reading somewhere that the number of commies and homosexuals found in high ranking positions (remember the Cambridge spy ring) was taken as evidence for this, as well as Nicholas Ridley's and others' attempts to push the islanders towards Argentina.

In short, if Argentina doesn't expect a military response, why care if Britain still has a fleet carrier.

Susano

Banned
In short, if Argentina doesn't expect a military response, why care if Britain still has a fleet carrier.
But the fact wether Britain does or does not retain a carrier fleet might be seem as an indicator of how much the country is still committed to defending even its outyling territories...

Riain

Banned
I think that the Junta invaded for their own domestic reasons, they needed a diversion and the Malvinas provided it. Their assesment of British capabilities strikes me as justification after this decision had been made, and what's more made after their assesment of British intentions. The Junta's thought process in my mind was something like this; 'We're under the pump lets invade the Malvinas and be popular, the British don't want them and won't do anything, and besides they can't anyway'.

If the Ark Royal had undertaken one more refit and commision the thought process would be; 'We're under the pump lets invade the Malvinas and be popular, the British don't want them and won't do anything, so that old worn-out carrier won't matter and besides it will break down anyway'.

However in reality the Ark would go south, and make the tone of the war somewhat different. I think the close support that GR3 Harriers provided would not occur, Buccaneers would be tasked with bombing the shit out of everything. They would also be used extansively as buddy tankers, and I think it would be they who would sink the Belgrano. The land war would go more quickly because Hermes would be used as a Commando carrier and the land forces would have many more helicopters and perhaps a Chinook or two from the first day. The AEW and tanker supported Phantoms would probably get wired for Sky Flash and 9L on the way south and get a large number of air to air kills, maybe produce an ace. On the whole I think the entire campaign would be conducted with a lot more confidence than IOTL.