The Imperial Princes of Monaco

Thanks guys, It might me some time before i start on a new part i try to work on some of it to day when i get home. It might have to wait untill i get out of school next week becaues i have to take finals and my SATs but is good to see some people like it.

By the way do not know what you mean my northern France. If that question is asked by the name i used for the pact i understand the question. I use a free traslator in order to get the Franch name for it.

Thanks guys, It might me some time before i start on a new part i try to work on some of it to day when i get home. It might have to wait untill i get out of school next week becaues i have to take finals and my SATs but is good to see some people like it.

By the way do not know what you mean my northern France. If that question is asked by the name i used for the pact i understand the question. I use a free traslator in order to get the Franch name for it.
Monaco is in the south - they didn't speak Parisian there.

In that time period, there was no such thing as 'French' in quite the way we know it. There were dozens (hundreds?) of local dialects, that tend to be lumped into two big groups - Langue d'Oil (northern French) and Langue d'Oc (the language spoken in the south). Lange d'Oc (Languedoc, Provençal or Occitan are all largely synonyms) is much closer to Catalan than it is to Parisian French. Obviously the variants nearest the Pyrenees are closest to Catalan, and the variants near Italy (where Monaco is) get closer to Italian.

-1388: was a year of great victory for the Grimaldis of Monaco. Ranieri II of Monaco had put all of the Grimaldi lands on the southern cost of France under his control by way of Le Pacte de la Maison de Grimaldi (The Pact of the Grimaldi House). The pact set forth, not only defence and trade agreements between the signers but that the Antibes branch and the Grimaldi-Fischis are second only to Monaco. The pact also made the Monaco branch supreme head of the Grimaldi house and albergo. Very head of the branches of the house and families in the Albergo signed the pact, other then the Boglio branch because they wished to have Monaco’s position. But why did they signed the pact, practically Antibes which had much more land then Monaco did? The reason for this is that although it was smaller, Monaco had more power. It gained this power form the wealth it had got through trade and the raiding of Genoese ship as well as having an “alliance” with the Doge of Venice (Monaco was the Doge’s puppet in order to disrupted Genoese trade). The signers saw this “alliance” as a way to gain more power and control of more land if the Genoa and Venice when back to war.

-1389: With the Grimaldi lands on the cost under his control, Ranieri trued his attention always from the conflict over the succession of Queen Jeanne of Provence (Joan_I_of_Naples) to the disruption of Genoa’s monopoly on Sicilian gain and their production of sugar and silk on the island of Sicily and the distruction of his family's oldest rivial, the Doria family. In order to gain favor with Aragon, which ruled Sicily, and deal the first blow to the Doria, Ranieri would used the impricenment of Brancaleone_Doria. Brancaleone was a distent member of the Doria family. He and his father had gained vast amounts of land on the island of Sardinia and had become a vassal of Peter_IV_of_Aragon. He had been arrested by Peter and placed in the tower of Eleanor on Sardinia. This situation was the prefect stepping stone that Ranieri and his ally, The Doge of Venice were looking for.

-November, 1389: With plans agreed upon, Ranieri set them in motion. He had his spies in Genoa forge a letter with a stolen seal of the Doria family. The letter said that if Brancaleone agreed to become a vassal of Genoa, then the Doria would use their power in the Republic to set Brancaleone free. With the forged document in hand, the Lord of Monaco's representative when to the Aragonese court to tell Peter that his lord had intercepted "plans" to take Sardinia way form him.

-February-November, 1390: Upon getting the forged letter Peter jumped into action. He first striped Brancaleone of his land and had him executed. Then Peter divided Sardinia back into the four Giudicati that had were in place before Brancleone's father conquers. Then, with the help of Ranieri troops, Peter seized all Genoa position on sicily and gave there silk and sugar contacts to many different lords so that no one nation or lord could gain to much power in his lands and final he demand the removal of all Doria form public office in Genoa or Aragon would declare war on the Republic, which Genoa gave into. As Genoa was distracted, Venice took all the islands Genoa own in the Ageran. With the redistrubuing of lands and contracts the Grimaldi got some of the sporals. Ranieri was given several silk contracts on Sicily and The Giudicato_of_Arborea.

-1392: Ranieri's victories were short live. In August of the year Monaco was under siege by John of Boglio. John was the head of the Grimaldi branch what ruled in Boglio. He had planned to take the Untied Grimaldi lands (I am going to call it the UG until it becomes its own nation) very since it was created. John had launched his attack in May of 1392 using Savoy troops that the Green Count had given him in order to govern Provence - a task given to him by the King of Naples (as well as count of Provence). The John divided his troops and laid siege to Monaco and Nice, burning lands, forest and villiage on there way. Before the troops could reach Monaco Ranieri sent runner to the Count of Savoy and the King of Napels to appeal for their help. Upon getting the news Count of Savoy recalled his troops and the King of Napels was striped of his title. With no troops or royal title to back him John had to go back to Boglio. However the siege braock to late for Ranieri, who die a week before it ended. His son, Carlo, succeed him but was left a land destroyed by war and would take some time to rebuild

Last edited:
(i made a mistake with names, Carlo should be Giovanni)

-1392-1399: With Ranieri II death, his 9 year old son, Giovanni, inhered his land. However, because of his age, Luca Grimaldi, 1st lord of Antibes, was given power. Luca took full control and started the rebuilding of the UG. Luca signed a treaty with Venice that established them as equals and trading partners.

-1399: Luca had observed the politics in Italy as he ruled and by 1399 he saw an opportunity to gain an ally closer to home. The Marquises of Saluzzo had just finished a civil war and was looking for allies to protect him for Duke Amadeus VIII of Savoy who wish to conquer the Marquises. Luca saw this as a good way to saw this as the perfect way to gain allies. He married off Giovanni to Thomas III of Saluzzo youngest sister Constanza of Saluzzo. In doing so he hope to gain an ally in order to help protect them close to home and might help the bring the Boglio lands in to the UG. Thomas agree and the two 16 year olds married in Monaco.

-1400: This Alliance came in to play when on May of the year Duke Amadeus attacked Saluzzo. The Duke sent a army of 10,000 troops to Saluzzo. Before the Grimaldi focus could get to Saluzzo Duke’s troops had taken the city and Thomas had fled to the town of Cuneo. The Marquies of Saluzzo’s family however did not escape the city and all of them were killed in the siege.

-1401: By the beginning of the year the war for Saluzzo was at a still. The Margave was divide in half with Cuneo as the headquarter of the Marquises of Saluzzo. However, Thomas was sick form a wound that was inflicted doing a battle and it looked like he would die. This would leave Constanza of Saluzzo as heir to Saluzzo.

Last edited:
Ok guys so no one has real said anything about what i am doing with this so, do you think its bad. If so tell me what i can do to make this better. This is my first timeline and i am will to correct any thing that people do not thing is right.