Alternate Jewish Homeland

Mujahid786

Banned
There were talks of providing the Jews with a different homeland.

Like Australia, Canada and places in South America.

What if it had happened?

There were talks of providing the Jews with a different homeland.

Like Australia, Canada and places in South America.

What if it had happened?

There was a movement in the early 20th Century called Territorialism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorialism), which called for the establishment of a Jewish homeland not necessarily in the Holy Land. But it never got off the ground, and was dissolved in 1925.

I'm personally doubtful that a Jewish state could have been created and sustained outside of OTL Israel, except under the most extraordinary of circumstances (such as the near creation of a Jewish refuge in Alaska in OTL; see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slattery_Report , for details).

Ahh yes, that one. :eek:

Looking back on it, I consider it to be not very plausible at all (written in utter ignorance and naitivity). If I were to re-do it, it would turn out very differently...
Hey, i though it was pretty damn good!
Reminds me of the Draka, but Jewish.:D

What about establishing a zionist jewish state in some part of Canada which is sparsley populated like Labrador.

I believe this has been discussed before, but is there any possibility that a Jewish state or jewish autonomous region could have been carved out of the Pale, either by Imperial Germany in an alternate "Germany wins WW1" scenario? Tough luck for Poland, I suppose, but then how about a Palestine-style partition?

Like a buffer state thing? Well it could be a polish and jewish state carved out of Russian congress Poland.

A slightly unorthodox response to this thread, but valid none the less. The Madagascar Plan, suggested by the Nazi government to relocate the Jewish population of Europe to the island.

is there any possibility that a Jewish state or jewish autonomous region could have been carved out of the Pale, either by Imperial Germany in an alternate "Germany wins WW1" scenario?
Doubtful. Pale was suffering a serious case of agrarian over-population. There was talk of creating Jewish autonomy in Crimea in late 1940s, though, after Stalin deported Crimean Tatars and large amount of agricultural land became available.
The Madagascar Plan, suggested by the Nazi government to relocate the Jewish population of Europe to the island.
Oh yeah. And then there was Japanese "Fugu" dream...

How about Israel is made in what is OTL Kaliningrad? The Germans were being forced out anyway, and a few million could easily fit in East Prussia. The only problem is Stalin.

POD would have to be before 1920, when the British Mandate began to encourage Jews to move to Israel. By the late 20s, Tel Aviv was a major city and Jews were in the majority in a number of areas of the Mandate.

Actually, the POD would probably have to be in the 1800s sometime and affect the overall perspective of Zionism - make more people willing to accept a homeland anywhere, not merely in the literal Jerusalem.

It seems to me that Zionism's ultimate success depended greatly on support from Europe's Gentile community. So the question is: what can motivate such support for a Jewish homeland somewhere else? Besides pure altruism, why would the British decide to designate Labrador or Saskachewan as a Jewish region?

How about Israel is made in what is OTL Kaliningrad? The Germans were being forced out anyway, and a few million could easily fit in East Prussia. The only problem is Stalin.

I don't think the Russians would want to negate the area's use as a port and military base by flooding it with dispossessed.

How about the Andaman and Nicolbar Islands? The population is small even today. When the British granted India independence there was a plan to populate it with Anglo-Indians and Anglo-Burmese. But these people were already doing quite well thank you very much and had no desire to settle on undeveloped tropical islands.

Directly after WW2, population of Jews was already rising in what is today Israel. I doubt may would want to leave.

MacCaulay

Banned
There was a book..."Jewish Policeman's Union" or something, that posited a Jewish community living in Alaska after the fall of the state of Israel in the 1948 war.
The interesting thing (and what I think was very realistic) that the author did with it was that he had the Zionists actually LEASING that land. The Arabs seem to forget that the Zionists (or whatever you want to call them) bought that land from them fair and square, unlike some other countries.

If Israel had gone kaput (forgive the word play) in the '48 war, I could totally see them trying to restart somewhere else, and just deciding that now wasn't the time for Zion to be reborn on the earth.

There was a book..."Jewish Policeman's Union" or something, that posited a Jewish community living in Alaska after the fall of the state of Israel in the 1948 war.
The interesting thing (and what I think was very realistic) that the author did with it was that he had the Zionists actually LEASING that land. The Arabs seem to forget that the Zionists (or whatever you want to call them) bought that land from them fair and square, unlike some other countries.

If Israel had gone kaput (forgive the word play) in the '48 war, I could totally see them trying to restart somewhere else, and just deciding that now wasn't the time for Zion to be reborn on the earth.

There was a plan by the US government to do exactly that.

I'd like to see this carried out by a pre-WWI, alternate WWI (different alliances), or alternate (smaller-scale, no Hitler) WWII Germany (I can't support Germany winning WWI, being a Frenchman). Before Naziism, Germany was actually one of the kindest European states towards the Jews. Because Yiddish was so close to German, the Germans tried to recruit Jews into their ranks in the census to increase the number of German-language schools in the Austro-Hungarian empire, as part of the struggle over language control between German-speakers, Czech-speakers, Polish-speakers, Magyar-speakers, and others. If Germany expands eastward and Jews bring honor upon themselves by serving German nationalist interests in the struggle, they might be given an annexed area of Czechoslovakia, Poland, Hungary, Ukraine, or the Balkans to call their own, nominally as part of the German empire but with a decent amount of autonomy.

Maybe a conflict in the Balkans expands and Germany intervenes, or Germany takes over a collapsing Austria-Hungary during WWI and redraws the borders to be more friendly to Sudaten-Germans. Or, a German nationalist government without the antisemitic tendencies (much more plausible than one might think, nationalism often had to do with language and culture rather than race) tries to annex the Sudaten territories, gets into a limited war, and redraws the map in favor of German speakers, with a Jewish homeland somewhere. The conflict never expands so the changes are not wiped out when Germany is defeated.