Canadian River Pirates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHAl1tWvvPA

Inspired by this song Dave Howery posted in the "Movies Based on Songs" thread, what if there was large-scale piracy on the rivers of Canada?

Bonus points if government cutbacks cause at least one unemployed Mountie to sign on as a pirate.

Since this is post-1900, I would imagine it'd have to be during the Great Depression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHAl1tWvvPA

Inspired by this song Dave Howery posted in the "Movies Based on Songs" thread, what if there was large-scale piracy on the rivers of Canada?

Bonus points if government cutbacks cause at least one unemployed Mountie to sign on as a pirate.

Since this is post-1900, I would imagine it'd have to be during the Great Depression.
Umm... Have you ever traveled the rivers of Canada? The Saskatchewan river is shallow enough you can ground a canoe in the wrong places, if you're not watching what you're doing. (yes, they managed to run river boats e.g. the Northcote, but the draft of those things was tiny, and they still grounded occasionally). The Churchill is much deeper - it's largely interconnected lakes - but you have to portage from one lake to another, or shoot rapids - hard to do in a pirate ship!

I don't know about eastern Canada.

The sneaky Canadians can head due south and pirate at US rivers I suppose. Everything is funnier with Mounties.

well the red river does go south from Winnipeg... and newfoundland was a pirate base, maybe a Chinese pirate fleet find a haven around Vancouver Island?

Sachyriel

Banned
ummm...wait...didn't I post the Last Pirate of Saskatchewan in "Movies from Songs"?:confused:

Dave Howery posted the Hotel California...

MacCaulay

Banned
Louis Riel was many things...Wanna-be General (twice)...Wanna-be Politician...Wanna-be Revolutionary (twice)...but Wanna-be Admiral he was not.

As far as the Red River country goes, I don't think even Louis Riel was that crazy. And he was about the craziest Canadian to ever walk the streets of that fair country without walking his poor butt out of a Rwandan genocide.