Independent Wales

WI through some reason, Wales becomes an independent self-governing country.
How does this affect Britans policy?
Does this affect the ARW?
And anything else.

Ermm...when? And the answer is probably "not much" but it's possible it could affect things such as the ARW - mainly by distracting England. But Wales doesn't pose enough of a military threat to distract England from its goals really. It's only threat is that France can use it to attack England, and that's it's hard to conquer, but really you'd need to fight hard to keep Wales independent or make it disrupt England's flow significantly.

To my mind it would be difficult to keep it independant, even today it wouldn't be east to break it off England since it's much more intertwined than Scotland is...

How does this happen?

Does it unite? Does it stay divided? Does it push the English out? Does it negotiate with them? Does it rely on outside support? Does it somehow take England on by itself?

There are a whole shitload of factors to consider, and thats before you get to the fact that the American Revolution would never happen, on account of the colonists never rebelling because they wouldn't be there in the same form because the Britain they came from never existed because the England that formed it never came about because it stayed seperate from Wales.

Let's say early 1100s

This doesn't change anything. Wales was an independent Principality in the 1100's. Edward Longshanks subjugated them at the end of the 1200's. Owain Glyndwr more or less regained Welsh independence in the 1400's but refusal of King Henry Bolingbrooke to accept that independence led to Glyndwr invading England and starving his own Army and Rebellion into submission.

Unless you get rid of Longshanks Wales will be subjugated or, alternatively, unless you can get Glyndwr to accept his limitations and make a deal with King Henry V after the death of Bolingbrooke to accept Welsh Independence then the English will simply march in and crush them in due course.

Last edited:
There was a plot to overthrow Henry V (I think) which involved splitting England and Wales into three parts - Wales plus the English border, and England split in two. I think Glyndwr was one of the participants and Hotspur another. It was a pretty stupid idea even at the time and there's little evidence to suggest that the signants were even serious about the scheme, let alone that it would work, but I guess you could just say that it happens ITL...without a strong England it could happen, I guess...though I reckon that Wales just doesn't have the strength to maintain a consistent state of independence. Scotland would probably swoop to dismember the "upper England" and France would do something similar to the south, and at some point down the line Wales will become a tributary to France in some manner.

This doesn't change anything. Wales was an independent Principality in the 1100's. Edward Longshanks subjugated them at the end of the 1200's. Owain Glyndwr more or less regained Welsh independence in the 1400's but refusal of King Henry Bolingbrooke to accept that independence led to Glyndwr invading England and starving his own Army and Rebellion into submission.

Unless you get rid of Longshanks Wales will be subjugated or, alternatively, unless you can get Glyndwr to accept his limitations and make a deal with King Henry V after the death of Bolingbrooke to accept Welsh Independence then the English will simply march in and crush them in due course.
Let's say that.