Conch Republic

In the early 1980s, the Florida Highway Patrol angered the politicians in the Florida Keys by establishing a anti-contraband roadblock on US-1 - the only road in and out - and implying that it would become a permament fixture.

After some discussions, the Key West pols (IIRC the mayor, the head of the chamber of commerce, and one other I can't remember) decided to:

1. Secede from the United States, establishing the "Conch Republic". (Key Westers refer to themselves as "Conchs")

2. Declare war on the US,

and 3. Surrender and apply for international aid.

The FHP took the hint, and the roadblock was abandoned. Ever since the unofficial motto of the "Conch Republic" has been 'We Seceded Where Others Failed. :rolleyes:

Now, what if for whatever reason the Conch Republic truly became independent, and remained so to this day?

(Shall we also assume that somehow they would take over all the aircraft at the Key West Naval Air Station?)

NapoleonXIV

Banned
Reagan would make them a tourist attraction. Clinton would maintain several apartments there for 'guests'. Bush would invade and, after arresting everyone and imposing laws against drugs, sex and any kind of pleasurable activity whatsoever in the most salubrious place on Earth, announce he had restored democracy.

How very odd, I was reading the Wikipedia article just last night on the Conch Republic.

I don't think much would happen, except maybe the Conchians establish some sort of "Monaco" of the America's reputation.