Martin Luthur Burned for Herecy

WI good ol' Martin Luther could not get his 5 solas or 95 thesises out because the guys in red (read: catholic beraucracy) burnt him at the stake for spread "false religion"?

What would be the future of science? of Religion? any genocides, ethnic purges?

Put it this way, I don't think Luther is the only one responsible for the Reformation, which might well have hapened anyway. And it is possible that Luther being burned at the stake would create a martyr figure- not necessarily boding well for the Catholic Church? (EDIT: in the climate of the times, possbly a rallying point for popular uprising or violent reformation, though I don't thin Luther, being alive, quite agreed with such...

Sure - have the E of Saxony not back him up (to an almost ludicrous degree), have his friends fail to spirit him away from Worms, have him just randomly get captured at some point in the chaos of 16th C Germany. Obviously, the later it happens the more of a martyr he is (and, somewhat ironically, the less effect it will have on history, since pretty much all the important bits of his life were over by 1525).

Assuming an early snatch'n'burn? I still don't think it would have much effect, since by 1500 the Catholic Church was teetering pretty badly, especially up north. Zwingli kicks it off, maybe, or Calvin, or Melanchthon, or, well, any of a dozen others.

I'm not sure how or why Luther would be burned before posting his 95 theses. Nobody knew he was a "heretic" until he did that. If he is burnt immediately after posting these, I think he does have the potential to become a martyr. A lot of folks could use his name as they needed to support their causes.

KEVP