Annexation 1866

TelClaven

Banned
Found this nugget on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annexation_Bill_of_1866

The Annexation Bill of 1866 was a bill introduced on July 2, 1866, but never passed in the United States House of Representatives. It called for the annexation of British North America and the admission of its provinces as states and territories in the Union. The bill was sent to committee but never came back, was never voted upon, and did not become law. The bill never came to the United States Senate.
The bill authorized the President of the United States to, subject to the agreement of the governments of the British provinces, "publish by proclamation that, from the date thereof, the States of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Canada East, and Canada West, and the Territories of Selkirk (present-day Manitoba), Saskatchewan, and Columbia, with limits and rights as by the act defined, are constituted and admitted as States and Territories of the United States of America." It provided for the admission of all the colonies and the purchase of the Hudson's Bay Company's lands for $10,000,000. The American government would assume public lands and state-owned bonds and the right to levy taxes and, in return, would take over provincial debts to the total of $85,700,000 and give an annual subsidy of $1,646,000 to the new states. In addition, the United States would connect Canada with the Maritimes by rail and spend $50,000,000 to complete and improve the colonial canal system.
The bill was introduced by Congressman Nathaniel Prentiss Banks, a representative from Massachusetts. It was intended to appeal to Irish Americans who supported the Fenian Movement and were aggressively hostile to Britain. Indeed, much of American public opinion at the time was hostile because of Britain's support for the Confederacy during the American Civil War. There was no serious effort in Washington to annex Canada.
Its introduction and similar interest in annexation by the United States possibly provided a little incentive for the organization of Canada as an entity distinct from Britain; indeed, the bill's introduction preceded Canadian Confederation by less than a year. However the Fenian raids had much more influence in shaping determination to hurry the Confederation process.

Discuss.

Given as how they've got to get "the agreement of the governments of the British provinces" - at this time including John A MacDonald, William Mactavish, and several members of the British House of Lords I'm looking at you Sir Edward Walker Head - it's academic. :rolleyes:

The world's collective jaws drop and whoever is in power in the US is promptly removed from public life.

Susano

Banned
Annexation 1866? Well, Holstein, Hannover, Hessen-Kassel, Hessen-Homburg, Nassau, Frankfurt, Biedenkopf... oh, wait, wrong continent ;)

Thande

Donor
Annexation 1866? Well, Holstein, Hannover, Hessen-Kassel, Hessen-Homburg, Nassau, Frankfurt, Biedenkopf... oh, wait, wrong continent ;)

I assumed this was going to be about Germany because the alternative was so completely ridiculous.

What were the Americans smoking in the late 1860s?! Especially since they were still in the middle of Reconstruction! That's like us deciding to try and conquer Spain in 1946! :rolleyes:

Yeah. Me, too - I mean, with such a typically americanocentric headline (what? Politics elsewhere in 1866?):rolleyes:

The funny thing is - when I saw it, my first thought was "oh no you don't you Yankee bastards". Annexation 1866 => Evil Yanks.

...Hmmm... that would be interesting: what't he first thing you think of when you hear these dates:

?

JohnJacques

Banned
Annexation of something besides Canada is a possibility. (See my TL- shameless plug, but America gets the Dominican Republic)

Reconstruction was not that debilitating.

...Hmmm... that would be interesting: what't he first thing you think of when you hear these dates:
?

1812 -- The War of
1837 -- The Panic of
1840 -- umm...
1867 -- The impeachment of Andrew Johnson
1885 -- umm...
1967 -- Sgt. Pepper
1970 -- Let It Be
1983 -- Orioles beat the Phillies, 4 games to 1

War of 1812, obviously. ;)
Rebellions of 1837.
Act of Union (1840)
Confederation (1867)
The Last Spike (1885)
Centennial/Expo (1867)
October Crisis (1970)
Constitution Act (1982 oops :eek:)

Napoleon's campaign in Russia ' the end of the beginning'

Victoria reign

Railroad from Strasbourg to Bales

Constantine expedition

Napoleon's remain interred in the invalides.

Louis-Napoleon condemned to prison

Paris Exposition Universelle

Strike right established

Execution of Maximillian

Death of Victor Hugo

phylloxera

'Vive le Quebec libre'

Apollo fire

Europe, from Atlantic to Oural

Death of De Gaulle

SMIC

Mauroy government. Rigueur.