Wales votes down devolution in 1997?

in 1979 Wales voted down a National Assembly by 79.7%, another one was put to a vote in 1997, Yes pulled out a win by 50.3% to 49.7%, 0.3% what if that 0.6% went the other way so Wales voted down devolution in 1997 50.3% No to 49.7%?

Apart from the obvious fact that Wales wouldn't have a national assembly, policy would still be run from Westminster, and a lot of individual Welsh political career would be changed, I'm struggling to think of serious knock-on impacts. It would very likely kill off the slender support John Prescott had for introducing regional assemblies in England in Labour's second term, so there is that, and when Labour next goes into opposition it would probably consequently embrace a devolution-all-round package. With the distance Welsh Labour in the national assembly held from Westminster not being present, Plaid and the Lib Dems might do a little better in Wales in the 2000s. Tony Blair would have a bit less of a reputation as a demented control-freak without his attempt to ram-rod Alun Michael into the position of First Minister, and Michael would continue to have a serious career at Westminster.

So.. yeah. Not a lot.

Last edited:
I think Carwyn Jones might well be on the Labour frontbenches in Parliament these days. Leighton Andrews might be a shadow minister, but not in the shadow cabinet.
Ken Skates and Vaughan Gething, the two biggest rising stars in the Welsh Labour Party, would likely both be MPs rather than AMs, and young backbenchers.
Peter Law's Blaenau Gwent People's Voice might be less successful without his prior position as AM.
Just off the top of my head.

Visitors to Wales would not be confused by having to pay 5p for plastic bags when shopping.:p

While Welshmen travelling to England wouldn't be confused by people handing out plastic bags willy-nilly.......

Sideways

Donor
Plaid suffered after the loss of the previous referendum I believe, so we could see that happen again.

Labour would probably currently be campaigning for regional assemblies in Wales and England.

While Welshmen travelling to England wouldn't be confused by people handing out plastic bags willy-nilly.......

Shops like Aldi have introduced the new compromise which is free bags but you have to find them with little to no help from staff. Its like an eco-friendly egg hunt.