Which Neutral Power could have helped the CP in WW1 the most?

Which Neutral Power Could have helped the CP in WW1 the most?

• Spain

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • China

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Mexico

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Sweden/Norway

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Persia

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Portugal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 9.9%

• Total voters
Vote and explain why you think X country would have?

(Sorry if I missed a couple i.e. Switzerland, in my poll)

Last edited:
Italy with the Cps would go far. If you could somehow get the US to join, that would basically guarantee a CP win.

The United States. ;)

Kidding aside, if Switzerland allowed troop passage (after its leadership huffs lead paint for a good long while) would it change matters much?

Since we are limited to the above nations, Mexico declares for the Entente and says it will take the south and hopes Canada takes the north :p Should 'help' the CPs a bit.....

Easiest is getting Britain as a neutral, actually. Quite possible if France secures a semi-security treaty with the US and the Great Game continues to keep Russia and Britain far away from each other.

Spain. Several somewhat decent divisons attacking france the other way could cause problems for france. Also, the Med is going to chaotic. The french can level the spanish navy in a few hours, but that might allow the austrian navy to sortie and cause havoc in the Med.

Besides the obvious answer of "The US", Italy breaking for the CP would be huge. Even just getting a division or two into Southern France would change the dynamic of the whole war. A second front (or hell, the threat of a southern front) would put France in a pretty pickle, not to mention it would turn the Mediterranean into a real mess.

Spain would likewise be a big get, but their ability to affect the Med wouldn't be as great as the Italians. After that, probably Sweden or Norway.

US or Italy

I went for other, thinking of the US first. Not maybe as an active participant but as a neutral friendly to Germany that stops the British blockade working. Italy might work too, but Germany would need to be able to supply it with coal to replace Britain. Not sure the rail links across the Alps will suffice.

I voted for Spain, as it would be easy to promise them Gibraltar and Pyrenaean regions. And, of course, force France to fight on two front, dividing its army.

Putting the obvious answer of "the United States of America" aside, having Italy in the early, mobile phaze of the war would be huge. However, that would pretty much require either pre-war PoD's or Italy joining in when France has already been defeated in the field by Germany.

Realistically Sweden was the most likely neutral to join on the CP's as a Russian Admiral almost attacked Sweden of his own accord. Having Romania and Greece could help too.

China would not change the outcome of the war but if it joined the central powers it could keep a few British/French/Japanese/Russian units tied up in the Far East and assuming their is a Bolshevik uprising in Russia a weaker post war china could become an early communist nation.

Japhy

Banned
Norway, or Sweden-Norway or however you want to set it up, in conjunction with a continued neutrality of Denmark more or less ensures the failure of the British blockade, which is rather impressive, if you can get them into the war.

As others have noted, actually getting more neutrals is better.

Anaxagoras

Banned
Norway in the CP gives the High Seas Fleet a much more advantageous position. It would have been far more difficult for the Royal Navy to keep them pinned in port if they had all those fjords of Norway to hide in.