TLIAW: Diogenes Akritas! Victory at Manzikert!

1071 AD:

Romanos IV Diogenes was desperate for a great victory over the Seljuk Turks to solidify his rule as emperor. Well, technically, he was co-emperor with his predecessors' sons, but the 'rightful' emperor, Michael Doukas, took after his father. For years, Romanos had tried to evict the Turks from Armenia, even at the expense of Bari in Southern Italy. Now, he sent an embassy to Alp Arslan offering to renew the treaty they had signed two years ago. The sultan readily agreed, for he saw the Shiite Fatimids of Egypt as the greater foe, and marched towards Aleppo. Unfortunately for him, this was all part of Romanos' plan to march into Armenia and reclaim the lands lost under Constantine X before the Turks had time to respond. Romanos thought long and hard about who to bring with him. This was his last chance. Either he won his great victory and kept his throne or he would lose everything - his army, his throne, his wife and sons, possibly even his life - to the Doukai. Initially, he planned to bring Andronikos Doukas* , son of Caesar John, with him to keep an eye on him, but then he realised he needed someone whom he could trust completely. He ended up choosing the general Nikephoros Botaneiates (POD) ** , who had not only proven himself on the battlefield, but was Romanos' oldest and closest friend.

The march from Constantinople to Theodosiopolis took nearly 5 months, during which he was forced to dismiss his 500 Frankish and Norman mercenaries, a minor dent in his 70,000-strong army. At Theodosiopolis, most of his generals urged him to continue the march, while Nikephoros Bryennios advised that they fortify their position. While Romanos respected Bryennios and might have followed his advice under different circumstances, the soldiers didn't have their patience, and he was determined to settle the Eastern question once and for all. Soon, the entire army was marching towards Manzikert***, which quickly fell on August 23rd.

The next day, some foraging parties under Bryennios discovered the main Seljuk army under Alp Arslan. On August 25th, after Romanos had rejected peace overtures, some of his Turkic mercenaries defected to the Seljuks. Undeterred, the Romans assembled into a proper battle formation the next day - the left wing under Nikephoros Bryennios, the right wing under Theodore Alyates, the rear under Nikephoros Botaneiates and the emperor and Joseph Tarchaneiotes in the center. The Turks were organised in a crescent formation, similar to Hannibal at Cannae, with the centre moving backwards while the wings slowly encircled the enemy. Under hails of arrows, the Romans captured Arslan's camp by the end of the afternoon, but the left and right wings almost crumbled when individual units broke ranks and tried to force the Seljuks into pitched battle. The horse-archers simply retreated.

With the Seljuks avoiding battle and his wings in trouble, Romanos took a desperate gamble. Bryennios was performing well, so he sent Nikephoros Botaneiates and the rear guard to back him up, hoping that the left wing would push forward, and sent Tarchaneiotes to back up Theodore Alyates and rally the Armenians. Seeing the center of the Roman line thinning, Alp Arslan personally charged, hoping to capture or kill the emperor. Just as he approached, the Varangian Guard came to the defense of their emperor and cut down Arslan's horse. Word began to spread that the Sultan had fallen just as the Roman left wing began to inch forward, turning into a full-scale rout for the Turkish army.

A quarter of his army had been injured or killed, but Romanos had finally gained his great victory. He would come home, parade Arslan before the people of Constantinople and persuade him to return Armenia before setting him free or executing him. But first, the emperor needed a drink, a bath and a good night's sleep.

*: Father of Eirene Doukaina, wife of Alexios I Komnenos.
**: OTL Nikephoros III.
***: IOTL, he sent half his force under Joseph Tarchaneiotes to take Khilat. They failed and though Joseph survived, Romanos' army was weakened even more.

Seems plausible. Just remember, the Turkic problem is not gone. It's entirely possible a whole new Manzikert could occur under a different name.

Seems plausible. Just remember, the Turkic problem is not gone. It's entirely possible a whole new Manzikert could occur under a different name.

Okay. I've gotten an (minor) idea about that. Apparently, IOTL, Romanos' Turkish auxiliaries in the right wing remained loyal to the very end. Obviously, that wouldn't extend to all Turkic peoples under Roman rule, but the empire needs new blood. The Doukids would also want to retake the throne. I'm just not sure who they would turn to first - the Seljuks, the Normans or the Pechenegs.

Right now, I'm trying to decide whether Alp Arslan's capture would lead to succession problems amongst the Seljuks. IIRC, there was no dispute about the succession when Maliki-Shah became sultan, and he wasn't even the eldest son.

Okay. I've gotten an (minor) idea about that. Apparently, IOTL, Romanos' Turkish auxiliaries in the right wing remained loyal to the very end. Obviously, that wouldn't extend to all Turkic peoples under Roman rule, but the empire needs new blood. The Doukids would also want to retake the throne. I'm just not sure who they would turn to first - the Seljuks, the Normans or the Pechenegs.

Right now, I'm trying to decide whether Alp Arslan's capture would lead to succession problems amongst the Seljuks. IIRC, there was no dispute about the succession when Maliki-Shah became sultan, and he wasn't even the eldest son.

The Seljuk succession is not my area of expertise. But even so, with a victory at Manzikert, I could see the Turks looking towards Egypt instead of Anatolia.

Good see to see another time! 70,000 sounds a little large doesn't it, could the Romans support such a large army at the time?
Also I look forward to how you handle the Komnenoi, they should be lurking around at this time as well.

Good see to see another time! 70,000 sounds a little large doesn't it, could the Romans support such a large army at the time?

Thanks. As for the numbers, author John Haldon gives the numbers as 40,000 for the Romans and 30,000 for the Seljuks in his book 'The Byzantine Wars: Battles and Campaigns of the Byzantine Era', while John Julius Norwich (admittedly writing ten years earlier) gives the number 70,000 to the Romans. Even I have doubts about the numbers, but I figured if the Romans could field 50,000 troops under Manuel Komnenos, they could field a bit more a hundred years earlier. I might change it still seems unbelievable to others.

Also I look forward to how you handle the Komnenoi, they should be lurking around at this time as well.

They are. Alexios is around 15 or 16, his father, John, and eldest brother, Manuel, are both dead, and his mother, Anna Dalassena, still hates the Doukids. IOTL, Romanos' eldest son, Constantine, married Alexios' sister, Theodora, after Manzikert. The union will still happen here, and Leo and Nikephoros will end up married. IOTL, they died young and the Diogenes bloodline died with them. Constantine and Theodora did have one daughter before Constantine's death in 1074, Anna, who married Prince Uros I Vukanovic. The Kings and Emperors of Serbia up to Stefan Uros V 'the Weak' were descended from them.

A good start! Perhaps Romanos will extort a huge ransom from the Turks just to have a neat parallel with OTL.

Sorry, everyone. I spent a lot of time on the coming update, but I accidentally closed my window and lost everything I wrote without backing it up. It will be up tomorrow morning or night (Australian time). Apologies for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
1071 AD - 1072 AD:

While Romanos was campaigning in Armenia, the Caesar John Doukas and the Varangian Guard took an opportunity to depose Patriarch John VIII and replace him with a monk 'without wisdom or taste', Cosmas of Jerusalem. The new Patriarch crowned Michael as the true emperor and declared Empress Eudokia's marriage to null and void. The Caesar then forced Eudokia to publically denounce her husband, whom she had fallen out of love with, and hand over power to her son before retiring to a nunnery with her young sons, Leo and Nikephoros. The people of Constantinople were split in two, supporting either Michael or Romanos. John Doukas ordered Constantine Diogenes to be 'dispatched' to remove a rallying point for the pro-Romanos gangs. Constantine managed to escape, however, and crossed the Bosporus to meet up with his father. Father and son reunited at Kastamonou, the estate of the up-and-coming Komnenoi family. The Komnenoi matriarch, Anna Dalassena, had hated the Doukai ever since they deposed her brother-in-law, Emperor Isaac, so she supported Romanos Diogenes and encouraged her sons to join the army. Now, she reaffirmed the family's allegiance by offering the hand of her youngest daughter, Theodora, to Constantine.

The emperor and his son marched towards Constantinople, accompanied by Isaac and Alexios Komnenos. Botaneiates, Bryennios, Alyates and Tarchaneiotes decided that they were too deep in it now so remained loyal to the emperor. Back in Constantinople, virtually all the Pro-Romanos gangs had been imprisoned or killed, but the Varangian Guard, which had borne the brunt of the fighting, had taken many casualties or injuries, and so were at half-strength when Romanos himself arrived on the other side of the Bosporus. Nevertheless, the gates remained shut when the army crossed. John advised Michael to wait the usurper out, and then he could claim the victory at Manzikert as his own. What they hadn't counted on was a single pro-Romanos civilian to open one of the gates. The pro-Doukid gangs collapsed in the face of the wave of professional soldiers and John Doukas and the remaining Varrangoi died in a hopeless last stand outside the Hagia Sophia. Patriarch Cosmas was found in the church, praying fervently for salvation, and Michael Doukas was found in the palace, hiding inside a wardrobe, to the indignation of his wife.

Romanos reinstated John VIII as Patriarch, who undid all of Cosmas' actions. Romanos was relieved to see Leo and Nikephoros unharmed, but Eudokia refused to leave the nunnery. She had betrayed both her husbands and had clearly worn out her welcome with the nobles. Surprisingly, Romanos agreed to accept her wishes. While he did have her to thank for his rise to power and his younger sons, he had eventually grown tired of her influence, wishing to rule more in his own right. Besides, Romanos had more pressing matters on his mind.

1072 AD - 1076 AD:

Alp Arslan, believed dead by his kinsmen, was paraded before the people of Constantinople before being privately strangled with a bowstring. According to rumor, Arslan and Romanos had struck up a friendly rapport during his captivity, but the emperor had decided to execute him after a failed escape attempt and the sultan's refusal to convert to Christianity. His son, Malik-Shah, eventually overthrew his older brothers and began attacking Egypt, taking Jerusalem in 1076. While nomadic Turkmen still raided the empire, the effects started to lessen when Romanos' efforts led to cities such as Iconium, Ancyra, Caesarea, Theodosiopolis, Manzikert and Ani becoming either centres of commerce or bulwarks against major raids.

To secure his position, Romanos took advantage of the attempted takeover to undermine the power of the Doukids. All Doukid lands except their estates near Thessalonika and Nikomedia were requisitioned and divvied out amongst Romanos' supporters, provided they were competent. Caesar John's sons, Andronikos and Constantine, tried to launch a counterattack against Romanos from Nikomedia, but were defeated and blinded, their children encouraged to retire from public affairs. Otherwise, Romanos was attached to Constantine X's children, treating them like they were his own, especially the youngest, Constantius and Zoe. The emperor took full control of their education. Prince Michael willingly entered the Monastary of Stoudios, 'convinced' that God did not want him to be emperor. Not one to pass up an opportunity, Romanos remarried to his divorced wife, Maria of Alania. Anna, Constantine X's eldest daughter, was married to Nikephoros Botaneiates when his first wife died. Theodora, his second daughter, was married to Doge Domenico Selvo of Venice.

Romanos encouraged the reformation of the akritai, jump-started by the settlement of converted Turks, Cumans, Pechenegs and Slavic peoples. The military reforms of Romanos Diogenes and Alexios Komnenos did away with many of the old guard units, replacing them with two news ones - the Vardariotai, descendants of Magyars who had settled in the Vardar valley in Macedonia, and the Archontopoulai, sons of military officers killed in battle. The Varangian Guard remained, but its ranks became increasingly filled with Anglo-Saxons fleeing the Norman conquest of their homeland, and Russians after successful negotiations with Vsevolod of Kiev, which also saw the betrothal of his daughter, Eupraxia, to Leo Diogenes.

Romanos' new goal was the restoration of the Catepanate of Italy, now under the thumb of Robert Guiscard...

Seeing as last night's update was delayed, I will hold on the next update until after I get some feedback and make any necessary changes.

I like it so far. Most of byzantine timelines start when stit had already hit the fan, it's nice to see a timeline which starts with Basil's empire mostly intact.

I like it so far. Most of byzantine timelines start when stit had already hit the fan, it's nice to see a timeline which starts with Basil's empire mostly intact.

Thanks. The challenge is keeping it that way. The POD is far enough that the Mongols might not be an issue, but the Western kingdoms ended up being just as deadly IOTL. There's a marriage alliance with Venice via Theodora Doukas, as IOTL, but no special trading concessions. And, of course, the Doukids are down but not out.

1077 AD - 1079 AD:

Emperor Romanos Diogenes had made preparations for the eventual reconquest of Southern Italy, but he was wary of the Empire of the Germans, the barbarians who called themselves Romans. For better or worse, the German emperor, Henry IV, was facing a rebellion which threatened to replace him with the Duke of Swabia, Rudolf of Rheinfeld. Romanos decided that now was the perfect time to strike, while the pretenders were distracted. It wasn't going to be easy. The main leader of the Normans in Italy, Robert Guiscard, had made himself Prince of Benevento and Duke of Apulia and Calabria, his brother Count of Sicily and his brother-in-law was the Lombard Duke of Salerno, Gisulf II. The only non-aligned power in Southern Italy was the Greek Duchy of Naples, ruled by Sergius V, but it was bordered to the north by the Principality of Capua, ruled by the Norman Richard Drengot. In 1078 AD, the Eastern Emperor warmly received Gisulf of Salerno, driven out of his domains by Robert and Richard. The two men agreed that if the empire drove out the Normans, Salerno would swear fealty to Constantinople. The Romans set sail from Constantinople, the army under Romanos and Constantine Diogenes and Constantine Angelos, and the fleet under admirals George Palaiologos and Michael Maurex, one of the last Catepans of Italy.

In March, the fleet arrived off the port city of Bari, whose Greek citizens were already rising up and besieging the Norman citadel. Eventually, Bari fell and became the main Italian base for the reconquest (the main one in the Roman homeland was Dyrrachium). Robert Guiscard was blockading Naples when he was informed of the Roman invasion. Combined with the death of Richard Dregnot and his brother's struggles against the Emirate of Sicily, Robert reluctantly abandoned the blockade and sailed to meet the Romans head-on. Romanos went south down the heel of Italy, mainly keeping to the coast, only going inland to skirmish with any Norman detachments and accept the allegiances of any towns or citadels who wished to accept him as their lord. Romanos was notified of the approach of Robert's fleet, so he made haste for the port of Taranto. In fact, Robert bypassed the Romans entirely and headed straight for Corfu, which he sacked before heading to Dyrrachium. Though he was joined by ships from the Republic of Ragusa, who disliked the Romans, the Norman fleet was caught in a storm, resulting in the loss of many ships and 10,000 men.

On October 18th, Romanos and his generals and admirals, including the reinstated Michael Maurex, were resupplying in Taranto when out of the mists came Robert Guiscard's fleet - 20,000 bloodthirsty, plunder-laden Normans and Ragusans, including 1,300 Norman knights. The Romans dug in the heels and prepared to fight for their lives.

Hopefully Guiscard gets badly beaten by the Byzantines. Looking forward to the next update

Thanks. I'll have to think about how I might pull it off. IOTL, Robert Guiscard went up against Alexios I Komnenos, who was a better general than Romanos IV, and still won multiple times.

1079 AD - 1080 AD:

While the Romans were in Taranto, they didn't have to worry about being betrayed (none of the Greek citizens wanted the Normans back), but about disease and starvation. While the fleet had decayed as much as the army had under Basil II's successors, Romanos hadn't given it the same attention he had the army. While they were good at skirmishing, any head-on attempts to prevent the Normans landing on the beaches were destroyed. Romanos decided to face the Normans out in the field, accompanied by his son, Constantine. Romanos used his Turkish auxiliaries and Vardariotai to great effect against the Norman knights, drawing the left flank cavalry away, exhausting them and leaving them to be butchered by the Varrangoi, especially the Anglo-Saxons. Robert tried to find a weakness in Romanos' army to exploit, but didn't have time when he saw a horrible surprise on the horizon - the Venetian fleet. Robert decided to cut his losses and retreat to Reggio and Messina. His ship was one of the very few to escape the pincer movement. Doge Selvo had held up his part of the marriage alliance to great effect.

Unfortunately, Prince Constantine had been mortally wounded, crushed under his horse during the battle. In private, Romanos was inconsolable, but he realised he had to continue with his campaign and keep living or Constantine's death would be for nothing. Word of the victory at Taranto had spread, and the emperor received envoys not only from towns along the Gulf of Taranto, pledging their allegiance, but from Prince Jordan of Capua, who wished only peace with the emperor and Guiscard's lands in Benevento. The most surprising envoy came from Duke Sergius V of Naples, who offered to marry his only daughter, Inmilgia, to one of Romanos' sons. Romanos eagerly agreed, betrothing the girl, renamed Eirene, to Nikephoros. He and his generals debated what to do next - march on Salerno and try to cut off Guiscard from his lands in Benevento, or sail south and capture the Calabrian coast? Eventually, Romanos took 20,000 men along the Calabrian coast while Michael Maurex took the other 20,000 to Salerno. When the emperor arrived at Kroton, however, he learned that Robert Guiscard was dead, succumbing to fever in the summer heat. While his brother, Roger, was preoccupied with the Muslims in Sicily, his many sons were squabbling over the succession. This made the rest of the campaign much easier.

At the beginning of the war, the de Hautevilles had ruled from Benevento and Foggia in Italy to Palermo in Sicily. Now the Drengots were in power in Benevento and the de Hautvilles were reduced to Counts of Sicily. Gisulf II regained his throne, but he died without issue, willing his possessions to the emperor. Salerno henceforth became a permenent part of the Catepanate of Italy.

1080 AD - 1082 AD:

Further North, Rudolf of Rheinfeld had triumphed over Henry IV, who drowned in the River Elster *. His relations with Pope Gregory VII would turn out to be no friendlier than Henry's, and one year after his victory, he attempted to place his own candidate of the papal throne, Guibert, Archbishop of Ravenna, who took on the papal name Clement. However, his armies were still not fully recovered from the Great Saxon Revolt and he was defeated and killed by the combined forces of Jordan of Capua and Matilda of Tuscany. His son, Berthold, tried to succeed him before the German princes elected another one of their one, Count Hermann of Luxembourg.

Sultan Malik-Shah had not been idle. During the Sicilian campaign, he had launched a full-scale invasion of Egypt, overthrowing the Fatimid caliph and massacring every Shiite and non-Muslim the Turks could get their hands on. Malik-Shah had achieved his father's dream. Though the Caliph in Baghdad claimed supreme authority over Islam, everyone from Egypt to Turkestan knew who the real lord and master of Asia was. Romanos recognised this and offered a genuine peace treaty to the sultan. Malik-Shah didn't trust Romanos but he had to work to ensure his empire survived his death.

Though Romanos soldiered on, the death of Constantine weighed heavily on him for the rest of his reign. He began to spend more time with Maria of Alania, though he abstained from sex, and the rest of his family. Andronikos Doukas remained at Thessalonika, and when his wife, Maria of Hungary, gave birth to a son, he named him Demetrius after the city's patron saint. Anna Doukas and Nikephoros Botaneiates had fathered one son, Leo, but Botaneiates was beginning to get frail and senile, and when he died in 1081, Anna abandoned Leo and married a young nobleman - Basil Kamateros. Constantius and Zoe Doukas, the youngest of Constantine X's children, adored and idolised their stepfather. Romanos had found them good partners, marrying Zoe to Nikephoros Bryennios the Younger, nephew of the great general, and Constantius to Morfia **, daughter of an Armenian nobleman, Gabriel of Melitene, strategos of Edessa.

Leo and Nikephoros were his best hopes for the future, so he was determined to stay on this earth until Leo was of age. But before that, Romanos had to face the last major challenge of his reign, from within and without.

*: IOTL, Rudolf won the battle but was wounded and died of his injuries shortly afterwards. Here, he escapes unscathed.
**: IOTL, the wife of King Baldwin II of Jerusalem.

* Constantine Diogenes (b. 1046, d. 1079) - Theodora Komnenos. Three children: Anna (b. 1074), Helene (b. 1076), John (b. 1078).
* Leo Diogenes (b. 1070) - betrothed to Eupraxia of Kiev.
* Nikephoros Diogenes (b. 1071) - betrothed to Inmilgia-Eirene of Naples.

* Michael Doukas (b. 1050) - Maria of Alania/Georgia (divorced). No children.
* Anna Doukas (b. 1053) - Nikephoros Botaneiates (d. 1081), Basil Kamateros. One child: Leo Botaneiates (b. 1073)
* Andronikos Doukas (b. 1057) - Maria of Hungary. One child: Demetrius (b. 1075)
* Theodora Doukas (b. 1058) - Doge Domenico Selvo of Venice. No children.
* Constantius Doukas (b. 1060) - Morfia of Melitene. Three children: Constantine Doukas (b. 1076), Romanos Doukas (b. 1079), Eudokia Doukas (b. 1082)
* Zoe Doukas (b. 1062) - Nikephoros Bryennios the Younger.

Last edited:
1083 AD - 1089 AD:

After the Norman campaign, the empire as a whole had gained a well-earned peace for three years. Romanos thought all his enemies had been overcome in his lifetime, and he was sorely mistaken. An enormous host of 80,000 Pechenegs crossed the Danube and began ravaging Bulgaria. Romanos marched out with the tagmata and guards to aid the Bulgarian themes, but back in Thessalonika, a plot was brewing. Andronikos Doukas, the second son of Constantine X, was by now an angry and bitter man. First he had been ignored completely when his father named his successors, then his mother had broken his vows and remarried to Diogenes. Though Diogenes had named him a co-emperor, after Manzikert it became apparent that he had no intention of leaving the throne to anyone but his own children. Together with his tutor, Michael Psellos, he had been plotting to gain the throne which was his and his alone. To Andronikos, his mother, brothers and sisters were cowards and traitors, never to be trusted again. Now, he declared open rebellion against Romanos to claim the throne, supported by the civil aristocracy.

Emperor Romanos and his troops arrived to give relief to the Bulgarians and thematic troops, but found no Pechenegs. As it turned out, they had bypassed the Romans and headed straight for Thrace, so back they went. On April 29th, 1083, Romanos and his army fell upon the Pechenegs in a surprise attack, butchering men, women and children. The chieftain was captured and died under torture, but before he died he confessed that they had been bribed to attack by Andronikos Doukas, who had promised them land and loot as payment for helping him get the imperial throne. Romanos immediately headed for Thessalonika where Andronikos and his son, Demetrius, were caught trying to escape. The 8-year old Demetrius was spared. Romanos wanted to blind Andronikos, but Constantius Doukas interceded on his brother's behalf, suggesting that perhaps just the rumor of blinding would be enough. The ploy worked among the nobles, but a few soldiers mistook the order and actually blinded Andronikos, who died shortly afterwards from the botched job. The surviving Pechenegs were spread across Southern Italy, Anatolia and Armenia.

The rest of Romanos' reign was uneventful. The themes had recovered, so there was little need for Romanos to campaign as vigorously as he did. The emperor lived to see Leo and Nikephoros come of age and marry, but died in 1089, aged 58, after a reign of 21 years. Leo immediately succeeded him and proved his worth to the army by personally crushing a rebellion in Armenia by a nobleman named Roupen (Ruben). Three years later, Malik-Shah died and the Seljuk Empire began its long, slow collapse as his sons and brother began carving out their own realms and battling each other for supremacy. Leo VII died unexpectedly in 1095, suspected of being poisoned by his brother, but more likely it resulted from spoiled food. Since Leo's sons, Romanos and Andreas, weren't old enough to rule by themselves, the throne passed to Leo's brother, Nikephoros. The biggest event of Nikephoros III's reign was his unsuccessful attempt to prevent Ladislaus of Hungary from conquering the Kingdom of Croatia. At the time of his death in 1105, Nikephoros' sons, Romanos and Sergius, had died of unknown causes, so the throne passed back to his nephew, Romanos V, who successfully outwitted and imprisoned his cousin, John Diogenes.

All throughout their reigns, they had adopted the folksong Diogenes Akritas as their unofficial song. Eventually, it became one of Rhomania's first national athems.
That's it, then, a TLIAW that I managed to complete within a week (unless anypony wants me to continue, of course). If I can make one, I'll post a map of the empire's final borders. I hope everyone's enjoyed this rather short TL.

* Constantine Diogenes (b. 1046, d. 1079) - Theodora Komnenos. Three children: Anna (b. 1074), Helene (b. 1076), John (b. 1078).
* Leo VII Diogenes (b. 1070, d. 1095) - Eupraxia of Kiev. Two children: Romanos V (b. 1090), Andreas (b. 1092)
* Nikephoros III Diogenes (b. 1071, d. 1105) - Inmilgia-Eirene of Naples. Four children: Eudokia (b. 1091), Romanos (b. 1093), Sergius (b. 1096), Eirene (b. 1098)

* Michael Doukas (b. 1050, d. 1090) - Maria of Alania/Georgia (divorced). No children.
* Anna Doukas (b. 1053, d. 1095) - Nikephoros Botaneiates (d. 1081), Basil Kamateros (d. 1083), Damian Dalassenos (d. 1105). Five children: Leo Botaneiates (b. 1073), Eudokia Kamateros (b. 1075), Constantine Kamateros (b. 1079), Theodore Dalassenos (b. 1085), Theodora Dalassenos (b. 1087)
* Andronikos Doukas (b. 1057, d. 1083) - Maria of Hungary. One child: Demetrius (b. 1075)
* Theodora Doukas (b. 1058, d. 1083) - Doge Domenico Selvo of Venice. No children.
* Constantius Doukas (b. 1060, d. 1101) - Morfia of Melitene. Three children: Constantine Doukas (b. 1076), Romanos Doukas (b. 1079), Eudokia Doukas (b. 1082)
* Zoe Doukas (b. 1062) - Nikephoros Bryennios the Younger. Four children: John Bryennios (b. 1083), Maria Bryennios (b. 1084), Constantine Bryennios (b. 1085), Eudokia Bryennios (b. 1087)