How Far the U.S. Would Have Annexed Mexico

How many of these threads do we need?

The easiest way to get greater expansion is to have Trist run over by a carriage before going down to negotiate. With a different delegate, GH ends with the US taking what are now the border states of Mexico.

If we don’t have that, a different “Gadsden” Purchase where the Mexicans aren’t insulted, and we get the same land, just slightly later and for more money.

The Tropic of Cancer is basically as far as is possible, regardless. The above possibilities don’t get all the way down there all the way across the continent, but they do manage to avoid the possibility of very much complaint at all.

How many of these threads do we need?

The easiest way to get greater expansion is to have Trist run over by a carriage before going down to negotiate. With a different delegate, GH ends with the US taking what are now the border states of Mexico.

If we don’t have that, a different “Gadsden” Purchase where the Mexicans aren’t insulted, and we get the same land, just slightly later and for more money.

The Tropic of Cancer is basically as far as is possible, regardless. The above possibilities don’t get all the way down there all the way across the continent, but they do manage to avoid the possibility of very much complaint at all.

Could USA take Mexico little by little over the years?

Didn't you make a thread about this yesterday? But yeah, what Tallest Skil said.

No. First one.

Well if Polk has the negotiations go his way

piccit_the_united_states_as_james_k_456531163.640x0.jpg

I highly doubt the more populous Mexican states *ever* so often brought up as potential areas of expansion would take American conquest lying down. This is especially true of the Yucatan, which would quickly become a century earlier Vietnam experience for the US. Massive garrisons would be require to hold these possessions, especially to fight those pesky Maya. This would be fairly anathema to pre-ACW military of the Union, and quite expensive.

The question no one fascinated with dismembering Mexico is how soon does the ATL Civil War happen? Questions about slavery would rear its head far sooner, because I have a feeling no practical plan of its expansion would be found. At least not one acceptable to the Slavocrats, Northern Americans, and of course, local Mexicans.

I await being drowned out with Ameriwanker objections. :)

I highly doubt the more populous Mexican states *ever* so often brought up as potential areas of expansion would take American conquest lying down. This is especially true of the Yucatan, which would quickly become a century earlier Vietnam experience for the US. Massive garrisons would be require to hold these possessions, especially to fight those pesky Maya. This would be fairly anathema to pre-ACW military of the Union, and quite expensive.

The question no one fascinated with dismembering Mexico is how soon does the ATL Civil War happen? Questions about slavery would rear its head far sooner, because I have a feeling no practical plan of its expansion would be found. At least not one acceptable to the Slavocrats, Northern Americans, and of course, local Mexicans.

No doubt any ATL claims would probably lean to the a Union.

at the time of the Mexican-American war the Yucatan was an independent country who ASKED to annexed into the USA (they wanted help putting down their Maya)

Those areas of northern Mexico were very sparsely populated back then, so they wouldn't be as hard to hold as you might think. But you're right about the Yucatan. That would be a nightmare.

at the time of the Mexican-American war the Yucatan was an independent country who ASKED to annexed into the USA (they wanted help putting down their Maya)

I’ve heard this, but is it true?

Did you mean that the additional Mexican lands would be admitted as free states? :confused:

Yep, that’s what he means. And it’s true. Other than the OTL Mexican Cession plus the far west desert lands, there’s very little chance that any of the rest of Mexico would have accepted slavery again.

Those areas of northern Mexico were very sparsely populated back then, so they wouldn't be as hard to hold as you might think. But you're right about the Yucatan. That would be a nightmare.

Agree. US Yucatan would be a disaster. No way in hell that could work.

Now slavery becomes an issue. Mexico I believe doesn't allow slaves, but that didn't stop that OTL. But with more land to the South the North might pay more attention to it. Ths could actually result in a more sudden civil war if this all happens at once.

There would be enough folks around to ensure a few bands of banditos committing hostile actions in the name of the Mexican Republic. Dunno if such men would have much against a determined American force, but tied to the Yucatan I could see them being used as an example of a poor Democratic decision by Whigs in Congress.

There would be enough folks around to ensure a few bands of banditos committing hostile actions in the name of the Mexican Republic. Dunno if such men would have much against a determined American force, but tied to the Yucatan I could see them being used as an example of a poor Democratic decision by Whigs in Congress.

Which is why going for the Yucatan would be too much. Baja California/Sonora/Chihuha/Coahuila could work. The Tropic of Cancer is pushing it. Anything else is madness.

One of these threads, a long time ago, discussed that a Mexico totally annexed by the US would be a situation that would lead to civil war, and the possible dissolution of the USA if the goverment tried to keep Mexico in for some reason. Mexico certainly won't tolerate southerners trying to bring their 'peculiar institution' down south. If the goverment tolerates, the people won't.

It's quite implausible, but an interesting scenario. Maybe a president who takes the whole Manifest Destiny a little too seriously?

Not at all. You can have America take all that, plus Veracruz. Then have Yucatan and rump Mexico as puppet states, to be annexed later.

US troops had occupied Mexico City, they pretty much would have gotten whatever they asked.

Not at all. You can have America take all that, plus Veracruz. Then have Yucatan and rump Mexico as puppet states, to be annexed later.

US troops had occupied Mexico City, they pretty much would have gotten whatever they asked.

I don't think your being serious...