Question about surviving byzantines on habsburgs in hungary

Hello, been for a year, and now is my time to start getting involved.

So as I've been searching the forums, I've been hard pressed to find statements on what effect a surviving byzantine empire has on the possibility of the Habsburgs in Hungary. I've heard that it would mean the habsburgs wouldn't expand into Hungary. Would the habsburgs focus more on the HRE, and if so where would they start?
(And sorry in advance if too vague, I'm still a novice in this site)

scholar

Banned
Hello, been for a year, and now is my time to start getting involved.

So as I've been searching the forums, I've been hard pressed to find statements on what effect a surviving byzantine empire has on the possibility of the Habsburgs in Hungary. I've heard that it would mean the habsburgs wouldn't expand into Hungary. Would the habsburgs focus more on the HRE, and if so where would they start?
(And sorry in advance if too vague, I'm still a novice in this site)
Bavaria, Italy, and Brandenburg appear to be the main areas if the East is cut off. That said, a POD leading to a surviving Byzantine Empire probably derails Habsburg expansion.

Thank you scholar. I don't hear enough about relations between Byzantium and the Habsburgs.

Don't suppose anyone would know of possible butterflies?

Last edited:
I don't think they ever really had Relations. They were just powerful at different times. When Byzantium was still decently coherent and powerful the Habsburgs were just minor landowners in Swabia. By the time The Habsburgs were able to actually project influence beyond the borders of the HRE the Byzantines were a Dead Empire Walking.

I mean Rudolf I wasn't even born when The Fourth Crusade Happened. Then after him the Habsburgs were knocked back down to powerful in the Empire but not hot stuff outside of it save for Albert for 10 years.

That isn't to say you can't get the two to be powerful enough to interact at the same time nor does it suggest that a Byzantine Revival makes a Habsburg Rise impossible by any stretch. The Habsburgs had been slowly amassing territory in Swabia, and it's likely that at some point the Imperial Princes will try to elect a 'weak' minor landowner they feel they could easily control, and the Habsburgs will still be a contender for that position.

Of course the differences in the situation surrounding that election may prevent the Habsburgs from getting Austria, which would prevent them from going after Hungary the way they did.

This thread have the merit to point something that I feels is missed in the classic 'surviving byzantines' scenario(s) - the problems-menaces to Byzance's survival are not just from the east, but as the Bulgarian invasion shown, from the north/west side too...

Even if you remove the muslim invaders from east OR a boosted up new persian empire by example, in theory, the doom could have came from the Balkans. OR even the western seashores...

The butterflies could have created an Alt Russia or new Slavic power by example to loom on... OR mighty Hungaria...