WI Sertorius captures Pompey at Sucro

So WI Sertorius who ruled Hispania managed to capture Pompey after defeating his forces at Sucro. Doyou think he could create a viable state that cul resist ome. Also how would the balance of power change in Rome with Pompey dead?

First, writing a post on AH.com while drunk or on a phone (and don't get me starded with drunk on a phone) attracts Grammar Daleks :p

More seriously : would Sertorius be able to rule on more than Ulterior? Perperna's treachery would point out that Romans, even "progressive" weren't keen about sharing power and situation with natives. I would think that an independent state would crumble fast.

That said could Sertorious or more likely Perperna or someone else from populares, recieve Ulterior and maybe Citerior as well as an "autonomous province" a bit like Caesar recieved with Gaul and Illyricum?

Without Pompey, maybe we could have a slower and harder war against Pontus, giving opportunity to other generals to arise, maybe more than just one. Eventually, it may allow populares or centrists to raise more easily and with less violent late Republican era?

Without Pompey, maybe we could have a slower and harder war against Pontus, giving opportunity to other generals to arise, maybe more than just one. Eventually, it may allow populares or centrists to raise more easily and with less violent late Republican era?

That would be an interesting consequence

If Sertorius captures Pompey and presumably wipes the floor with his army (or gets it to defect), then he's marching on Rome and/or demanding they make a lot of concessions to him-and with the threat of him marching on Rome being very real...I think they'll go with the concessions, given how this is the same senate that backed down when Pompey threatened to march on Rome, and Pompey's threat wasn't as dire.

Artaxerxes

Banned
If Sertorius captures Pompey and presumably wipes the floor with his army (or gets it to defect), then he's marching on Rome and/or demanding they make a lot of concessions to him-and with the threat of him marching on Rome being very real...I think they'll go with the concessions, given how this is the same senate that backed down when Pompey threatened to march on Rome, and Pompey's threat wasn't as dire.

Sertorius had Spain but he had no support outside of it, by this point the Empire is to big fall to him without that support.

As for viable long term state, no I don't think so, this was just a little to early for that to happen in any real way. Romans were horrifically patriotic and Sertorius main aim in life was to return back to Rome, and be a Roman.

Sertorius had Spain but he had no support outside of it, by this point the Empire is to big fall to him without that support.

As for viable long term state, no I don't think so, this was just a little to early for that to happen in any real way. Romans were horrifically patriotic and Sertorius main aim in life was to return back to Rome, and be a Roman.

There were still populares in Rome. The thing with the identifications that we place on everyone, populares or optimate, isn't really accurate. There were Sullan supporters, but that all ended once Sulla died. Not all Sulla supporters were optimates, Pompey being a prime example. If Sertorius crushes the armies in Spain, he's going to march on Rome-AFAIK, there's not any sizable force standing between him and Italy, and MIthradates is going to take advantage of this, meaning Senate has to keep forces in the east. Senators also have a sense for self preservation-if there's no real army between him and Italy, many of them will either head east and find Lucullus or switch sides, whether or not he has great longterm prospects.

And then you're right back at square one, with a Marius like figure in Sertorius controlling Italy and a Sulla like figure in Lucullus in the east probably trying to get a peace with Mithradates.

At that time, Metellus Pius was as important as Pompey in the war against Sertorius.

I think either Rome would have sent another proconsul to work with Metellus.

Sertorius was doomed because he had no reinforcements and the Sullan ruling oligarchy firmly intended to crush the last Marian/populares rebels. Rome had vast man power reserves to send to Spain. Sertorius' roman man power could not be renewed.

But having Pompey die in 74 BC changes many many things.