The Maple Leaf Forever

(Finally got my Bio on John A. back from my friend so I could look a few things up. Anyhow, this will just be a short introduction to the story.)

July, 1st, 1867

Thomas D'arcy McGee bounced around in the back of the coach making its slow way towards Rideau Hall. The sun shown down on the new nation as if for the first time. Thomas felt as though his eyes were first truly beholding the green trees that lined the paths, first tasting the lovely air that filled his lungs, that as the land he was born again, with the warm caress of the sun and of new life warming every part of his being. Manoeuvring suddenly in an attempt to keep his hat resting where it should upon his head McGee stole his gaze away from the nation which he had helped to bring into the world, returning to his papers before him jotting down some small verse that had been teaming in his head.

Let Fortune frown and foes increase,
And Life’s long battle know no peace;
Give me to wear upon my breast
The object of my early quest—
Undimm’d, unbroken, and unchang’d,
The talisman I sought and gain’d—
The jewel, Independence!

It feeds with fire my flagging heart
To act by all a fearless part;
It irrigates like summer rain
The thirsty furrows of my brain;
Through years and cares my sun and star,
A present help—a hope afar—
The jewel, Independence!

Rob me of all the joys of sense,
Curse me with all but impotence;
Fling me upon an ocean oar,
Cast me upon a savage shore;
Slay me! but own above my bier:
“The man now gone, still held while here,
The jewel, Independence!

"We have nearly arrived my love." Mary Teresa McGee said from across the coach. Thomas looked up to see his wife in very much the same position as himself. She clung with on clenched had to the railing near the door and with the other she held her gaudy feathered hat in place. The two locked eyes for a moment before laughing at the absurdity of the situation.

In his youth the young Irishman had been a member of the movement "Young Ireland" branded a traitor the crown, a price placed on his head and the end of his life set for the gallows. He had taken his young wife and fled to the United States. The home of hope and liberty for all the dispossessed men and women of the world. The land where the lowliest popper could find his new way in life. A promise written in the very air and soil of the nation.

But Thomas had found only lies, heart ache and disappointment. In America there was no more sympathy for Ireland than for Japan. The American people hated the Irishman for his creed, despised him for his poverty and under rated him for his want of learning. Until he was freed from his own entrapment invited to Montreal to assist in starting a news paper. His heart again felt hope in reading the words of an old friend "Montreal looks upon us not as foreigners, but as children of their own house hold." Taking this one final promise McGee again took his wife and surviving children north, to Canada. With in a year, the Irish of Montreal had helped to elect him to Parliament.

And now, after all that time. The crescendo of his life's work was to be presented before him, his wife, his friends and colleagues, but most proudly, before his nation. The coach pulled up before Rideau Hall looking to be the last to arrive. As McGee held his hand out to assist his wife to the ground a familiar voice picked up from behind him. Sr. John A. Macdonald came up patting McGee on the back.

"Mr. and Mrs. McGee, I quite glad ya' could make it." He said in this Scottish-Canadian accent. The Scottish Canadian was one of the closest friends McGee had ever had. They had both, many a night stumbled around Toronto, or Montreal, or Kingston... or Ottawa blinded by drink. Once Mary was standing on the solid earth McGee turned and took his friend's hand.

"Prime Minster." He said smiling widely.

"Not just yet McGee not just yet." Macdonald said patting Thomas again. He looked to Mary then back to Thomas. "May I?" He asked. And with a nod from Thomas Macdonald took Mary's arm in his guiding the couple towards the ceremony awaiting them. Upon entering John kissed Mary's hand before bowing off to finish what ever final duties he had left. Thomas then took his wife's arm in his and they walked together to the front of large open room. Taking seats directly behind Agnes Mcdonald and George-Étienne Cartier who were both to engrossed in their conversation to notice the new arrivals, Mdm. Cartier however did take notice giving the two a welcoming nod.

Finally, after John had returned, the chief Anglican Anglican bishop stood next to a small but ornate wooden chair it's cushions interwoven reds and whites. In the audience, in the front across from Macdonald sat representatives of the Christian faiths, most predominate was the Catholic bishop adorned in crimson. Just as it the events of the day were threatening to over whelm McGee with joy, the first notes of "God Save the King" were struck out of site. The audience stood as one looking down the hall, the rows bowing in turn as up the carpet walked the young, Prince Arthur third son of Queen Victoria. The English prince took his seat in the small wooden chair facing the gathered crowd.

"Do you Prince Arthur of Great Britain and Ireland here by swear to up hold the laws and practices of the Kingdom of Canada..."

The ceremony as in good measure biased on the Coronation of English Kings and Queens, though the boy was also dressed in white royal garments as a symbol for his French subjects. The sphere and scepter placed in his hands look near identical to the ones resting now in London. But then, at the end, a thin and beautiful crown in the likes of a medieval monarch was placed on the boy's head. It made nearly all of gold, with the fleur de lis and the maple leaf alternating and protruding from its top.

A choir sung out "God save the king! Vive le Roi!" As King Arthur I of Canada sat before them.

Last edited:
What's the PoD?

The Newfoundland Elections resulted in a pro confederation government, though only just. And with the extra money that would be available Ottawa had less of a problem agreing to P.E.I's main demand to buy out absent Land Lords. This looked much better in the eye's of London than it did OTL.

So Macdonald, with support from Queen Victoria who was in favour of the idea OTL, managed to push for Canada to become its on Kingdom. Though, it received a smaller percentage of the vote in London than OTL Confederation.

EDIT: Also, nice name who ever you are.

How far do you plan on taking this?

Good start, will be watching.

Thanks for the compliment, I got the name from the Agatha Christie novel Ten Little Indians.

Very interesting. Will be interesting to see how the monarchy reacts to and interacts with the world timeline. I am assuming there are no other POD's.

July, 9th, 1867​

Sean R. Mulroney ran ducking into the Newfoundland House of Assembly as eggs, rotten cabbage and even fish innards splattered and messed along the doors, walls and walkway with out. The door quickly closing behind him, it' slamming sound heralding the end of the ordeal of his morning walk to work. His trip home would be much the same, other than the protesters will likely be more filled with drink. With a frustrated sigh Sean attempted to pick the bits of rotting food that was clinging to his new coat. He had just been elected to the House of Assembly as a Conservative. The party had wanted to put forward the offer of Confederation to the electorate. The Conservatives had won again, but many of the Newfoundlanders felt as though they had been cheated or some how had their "nation" stolen from under them. The R.N.C would clear the streets to let the House get to its work. Sean looked back at the door dividing him from the population and their armaments of mould and stench. The young man felt much sympathy for their complaints. The Prime Minister had been sure to make Ottawa the single beacon of power, but the provinces still held their own in their own domains. He brushed off a creeping feeling of unease and made his way to the legislature.

The legislature room, along with the building in which it sat had always put Sean in the mind of the American Capital. He had been to Washington in his youth, though many of the memories had faded he could remember the awe inspiring neo-classical structures that adorned the capital of the republic. The fog of his memories was torn away with reality pulling his mind to attention, as if it were the bright lights of day teaming into a dark room when the drapes were torn aside. The members of House looked as though they were near to blows, or possibly worse. Charles Fox Bennett looked as though he were attempting to diminish Premier Frederick Carter with his shear power.

"....away from England! Tell me Mr. Premier! And answer me with honesty! When I ask you to think of the world beyond our island home, does a true Newfoundlander think of Toronto, Montreal, Bytown? Or does a Newfoundlander think of Liverpool, Dublin and London? Our very nature is with England the home of their mothers and fathers. The home of their countrymen. Not with the damnedable Canadians. Ye can hear the people out side every damned morning since you sold them to Ottawa."

The Leader of the Opposition fell back into his chair as his benches erupted with cheers. The Government benches remained quite. Sean came in taking a place in the back bench. The day had not even officially started off, yet the Anti-Confederation side was already taking strips out of the Government. Each instance of a Government member standing to give support to the Premier they would be shouted down by the opposition and at times, Conservative members as well. Sean stayed quite, simply watching and observing his fellow politicians at work. After many hours, and in the middle of a speech by Minister Shea on the improvements Confederation was already giving Newfoundland, Bennett again stood.

"May we simply settle this matter as civilized men?" His tone was so changed, so gentle and calm that Shea looked taken aback. Looking to the Premier who nodded to the Opposition leader Shea took his seat. Bennett looked to his party and the Government each in turn. "Confederation is a thing done. Unless there is a major movement against her now Newfoundland is attached and she will not go back on her word. But for the sake of the people Mr. Premier, let us have..." Bennett seemed to think for a moment. "Not a vote to say. But an open demonstration of support, or opposition to Confederation. One not so dominated by the leadership as is such a Canadian fashion."

"Very well Bennett. If it will end your ceaseless ranting and allow this Governing body to return to its work. May all the members of this house, who support the efforts of myself, and my party, in our seeking of union with the other British North American territories, stand and show your support."

There was the sound of chairs scrapping on the floor as men started to stand. One by one after the Premier. In the end Bennett crossed his arms looking up at the Premier with vindication in his eyes. The whole of the Opposition remained in their seats, as well as five Conservatives.

Bennett had won.

Won what? Maybe I'm just being dense but it appears he didn't get Newfieland out of Confederation.

No he didn't. But he won a victory just then where he split a wedge in the Newfoundland Conservative Party. It was a small victory, but *spoilers* they tend to snowball.

Much as i love seeing a Canadian Monarchy (and hopefully its dominance on the continent) why isnt the British Monarch...well...the Monarch?....how did Arthur get chosen to be King?...seems kinda odd in a era where Britain was expansionist and still wanting to cling to power over its colonies, no matter what form they took

Much as i love seeing a Canadian Monarchy (and hopefully its dominance on the continent) why isnt the British Monarch...well...the Monarch?....how did Arthur get chosen to be King?...seems kinda odd in a era where Britain was expansionist and still wanting to cling to power over its colonies, no matter what form they took

To be honest, I do not know. But in the Bio I have on John A. Macdonald as well as talking to the Canadian History Prof. at UBC O, Prince Arthur was considered as the Canadian Monarch when the idea was being passed around. And it was very much supported by the Queen. So, Prince Arthur seemed the most logical choice, thats why I went with it.