British Ambassador to Canada?

I need some help with my Tl "The Maple Leaf Forever". Who would make a good British Ambassador to Canada in the 1860s? Seeing as Canada is a fully independent Kingdom, under Queen Victoria's third son Arthur. And is see as a very very close ally and a strong up coming nation. I would assume it would be someone of importance and status in Britain.

Any ideas?

I need some help with my Tl "The Maple Leaf Forever". Who would make a good British Ambassador to Canada in the 1860s? Seeing as Canada is a fully independent Kingdom, under Queen Victoria's third son Arthur. And is see as a very very close ally and a strong up coming nation. I would assume it would be someone of importance and status in Britain.
Any ideas?

I would suggest looking at some of the British born Governor-Generals of that period. Specifically Charles_Monck might be a good choice as he was previously the Governor-General of the Province of Canada.

Sadly the Governor-General position is a little different to Ambassador, G-G's most of OTL G-G of PoC would just go on to be G-G of Jamaica, India or Australia.

I would suggest Sir Henry George Elliot, who was the brother-in-law of John Russell, 1st Earl Russell, who in 1960's was first Foreign Secretary and then Prime Minister.

"The Maple Leaf Forever" is a brilliant TL btw :)