Bonaparte Legitimacy: How Long?

How Long would it take Bonaparte Family to be viewed as Legitmate noble rulers?

• 1-5 Years

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • 5-25 Years

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • 25+ Years

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • They would never be recognized

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • They were already recognized internationally

Votes: 8 12.9%

• Total voters
In a post-1809 European peace, how long would it take for the concert of European monarchies to recognize the Bonaparte Dynasty as a legitimate regal-noble family?

Probably only a few years thanks to Napoleon's marriage with Marie-Louise, then the birth of the King of Rome.

Plus, Napoleon's coronation as Emperor had already been recognized by several states at this point.

Mixed responses already. I would say closer to five to ten-ish years. To be recognized as a legitimate European ruling dynasty, that is. They would never be seen as the peers of the Habsburgs, though, if that's what you're going for, or certainly their Bourbon predecessors.

I'm not sure if Napoleon himself or any of his siblings/in-laws would be seen as legitimate (I can't see any non-allied/puppet dynasties intermarrying with the Murats for instance) but given Napoleon II was half-Habsburg he certainly would have been and by the time of Napoleon III there were plans to have the Prince Imperial marry a Spanish Bourbon Infanta. So possibly by the NEXT generation?

Children of next generation most likely will be accepted as legitimate rulers.

Actually, there may be possible estimate - how the House of Bernadotte of Sweden was viewed by it's peers? Charles XIV was hardly more royalty by birth then Napoleon. Admittedly he was not an usurper, but...

Children of next generation most likely will be accepted as legitimate rulers.

Actually, there may be possible estimate - how the House of Bernadotte of Sweden was viewed by it's peers? Charles XIV was hardly more royalty by birth then Napoleon. Admittedly he was not an usurper, but...

Arguable about Bernadote.His predecessor definitely was one,who seized the throne from his nephew.

Draeger said:
They would never be seen as the peers of the Habsburgs, though, if that's what you're going for, or certainly their Bourbon predecessors.
Certainly not in the terms of ancestry. In the term of power and prestige though? A victorious Napoleon would probably grant quite a boost to the idea of marrying a Bonaparte.
Bakenellan said:
I'd say Bernadotte didn't have that much trouble fitting in. He had no real problem with other European rulers once he became King of Sweden. There could have been a few issue because of his "new royal" status, but not that many.

In terms of marriage, Bernadotte was already married before ascended the throne. His only son, Oscar I, eventually married Josephine of Leuchtenberg, one of Eugene de Beauharnais' daughters, but there were others potential brides considered before: Wilhelmina of Denmark, Marie of Hesse-Kassel and Marie of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach. It proves the dynasty was already on the way of acceptance by the rest of Europe. Which they eventually did with Oscar's children (Charles XV married Louise of the Netherlands).

Arguable about Bernadote.His predecessor definitely was one,who seized the throne from his nephew.

A lot of monarchs come to power by deposing relatives. That may affect their personal legitimacy but rarely their heirs'.

Bernadotte was chosen by Riksdag, who could chose otherwise, and not openly forced himself on the throne.

Still he was a napoleonic marshal and not a noble by birth which I think is relevant to this case. If he was accepted, not only legally but also informally by other monarchs of Europe so could be Napoleon and his heirs for sure.

While it won't quell the claims of the French and Spanish Bourbons against Napoleon's usurpation, I think the Bonapartes' legitimacy would be much more solid if Napoleon's generation live long enough to die and pass their crowns to their heirs; that's kind of the whole point of a dynasty, after all, and by that point the House of Bonaparte might not be seen as an existential threat to monarchy itself.

A lot of monarchs come to power by deposing relatives. That may affect their personal legitimacy but rarely their heirs'.

Bernadotte was chosen by Riksdag, who could chose otherwise, and not openly forced himself on the throne.

Still he was a napoleonic marshal and not a noble by birth which I think is relevant to this case. If he was accepted, not only legally but also informally by other monarchs of Europe so could be Napoleon and his heirs for sure.

And Bonaparte was chosen as emperor by the people of France in a referendum which he won fairly,although he did altered the vote to make himself look like he won by an absolute majority when in truth he only won the referendum by a slight majority.

And Bonaparte was chosen as emperor by the people of France in a referendum which he won fairly,although he did altered the vote to make himself look like he won by an absolute majority when in truth he only won the referendum by a slight majority.

The difference is that Riksdag was (as far as I know) recognized as legitimate law-maker by Sweden neighbors of the time while people of France... not so much :).

That's said, Bernadotte might be viewed as usurper or at least not quite a legitimate ruler by contemporary royalty. But as Yorel demonstrated above it did not prevent eventual and complete acceptance of his house in two generations time.

Plus, in Bernadotte's case, he was actually adopted by the king; in a legal sense, there wasn't really grounds for an objection to his inheritance of the crown, since he was the legal son of the previous king, and had been elected by the legitimate legal assembly. I bet his 'death to monarchs' tattoo got him some funny looks, though.

dandan_noodles said:
I bet his 'death to monarchs' tattoo got him some funny looks, though.
It's actually a legend that has never really been confirmed to be true... Granted though, if he did have such a tatoo, that was quite ironic :p

By some of the older families, probably never, keep in mind that the Habsburgs did allow a marriage with Marie Louise, but it was a last resort in hoping that their empire could be saved. The Bonapartes continued to be considered as usurpers by the more traditionalist courts in Europe, meaning the Bourbons and Hapsburgs, the Miguelist-branch of the Braganças, the House of Wettin, the Wittelsbachs and the House of Savoy (until 1848). One thing that seems to have been to their advantage was that they were open to marrying with Protestant royal houses. However, I imagine that at least in the 19th century, most royal houses and old nobility would continue to look down on the Bonapartes as different.

I consider Emperor Jean-Christophe the legitimate Head of State of France (and Kaiser Georg Friedrich the legitimate Head of State of Germany...), so that's a start.