MacArthur is POTUS in 1953

POD is Robert Taft getting the 1952 nomination and picking MacArthur as his running mate like he promised to do. Then, when Taft kicks the bucket in '53, the general steps up.

What would his administration be like? What are the consequences for the Cold War and the Korean War?

MacArthur becoming president might end very badly - not just for Korea and China, but for humanity as a whole.

Teshuvah

Banned
Keep in mind the Korean War was still going on at the time of the 1952 election. I don't know a lot about it, but IIRC he had a falling out of sorts with Truman. Unsure if he'd still be active duty at the time of the 1952 election...

Anywho, if he's President, my gut says the Red Scare is probably much worse. He avoids the mistake McCarthy made attacking the military, since he knows it from the inside out. Unsure as to how he would deal with the Civil Rights movement.

Last edited:
It's not impossible but it is probable that Taft loses to Stevenson, especially if he gives two fingers to the liberals in the GOP by choosing a hard-right VP.

I think Taft v Stevenson would be a squeaker
genusmap.php

Taft & MacArthur 270 ev
Stevenson & Sparkman 261 ev

Virginia going for Taft is a bit iffy, I know that he intended to try and open up Southern states but I'm struggling to see it without the Ike effect.

I agree that's why I have Stevenson carry all of the south apart from Virginia, which Ike did carry by almost 13%

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
MacArthur as POTUS?

So it begins... Roll up a big fatty and start praying to the lord Jesus Christ!:eek::p

Of course a nuclear war in the 50s wouldn't end too badly for the US...

Western Europe and the Soviet Union... not so much.:D

I agree that's why I have Stevenson carry all of the south apart from Virginia, which Ike did carry by almost 13%

From what I've read, the unusually strong Republican performance in the South in 1952 was largely down to the the largely apolitical image of Eisenhower, one that made it more acceptable to vote Republican because in reality they were voting for the individual. Taft on the other hand was a veteran GOP heavyweight, about as clearly Republican as an Elephant running for office, a man who's likely to take things back to a clear Republican vs Democrat race in the eyes of Southern voter, in which case I can't see Virginia bucking its long-term trend,

Not sure how badly this will go. But with MacArthur this quote comes to mind "Oh the ego. The stupidfier of the intelegent everywhere."

One observation, If the peace process takes the same amount of time as OTL and Taft still dies on July 31, 1953 ( The stress of the Presidency could have had made his health decline faster. ) then President MacArthur does not get the opportunity to attack China.

In fairness to MacArthur, wasn't he a pretty enlightened governor of Japan under occupation? Could he have been, well, less bad as President than people think?

In fairness to MacArthur, wasn't he a pretty enlightened governor of Japan under occupation?

In some respects. Criticism can be directed at his policy of purging anything of Japans history from the 1890s, which gave the Japanese the opportunity to dodge any knowledge of the brutrality & criminal acts of Imperial Japan. The policy was the reverse in Germany, with descriptions of the horrors of the nazi regime included in the childrens education & otherwise made public. Even in the US the near extermination of the native peoples, the terror against African Americans, ect... is openly discussed. When I lived in Japan I was struck by the ignorance of the Japanese to their recent history and careful avoidance of that subject.

His post war economic policy for Japan has been criticised as well, with haphazard reconstruction of the infrastructure, and a lack of redevelopment of the work for the skilled trades.

Could he have been, well, less bad as President than people think?

Between his lack of experience in legislative politics, his inability to work with Roosevelt, Marshal, Nimitz... in progressing the Pacific war & his increasingly dysfunctional ego I'd think he would have severe difficulty in accomplishing much. A US president is not a dictator & to get anything done he has to be skilled at persuading enough Congress critters to support the agenda with budget allocations & law. Treating Senators who disagreed with him the same way he treated a corps commander or staff officer would have created trouble beyond his comprehension.

In fairness to MacArthur, wasn't he a pretty enlightened governor of Japan under occupation? Could he have been, well, less bad as President than people think?

Most of his policies where dictated by Washington during the occupation of Japan. If he ever became president the domestic affairs would likely be left to his underlings and for the foreign affairs well at best he only drops one nuke, at worst Eurasian gets wrecked again.

bguy

Donor
Virginia going for Taft is a bit iffy, I know that he intended to try and open up Southern states but I'm struggling to see it without the Ike effect.

Taft had a good relationship with Harry Byrd and would have wanted Byrd as his Secretary of the Treasury if elected. Byrd could probably deliver Virginia for Taft.

Taft had a good relationship with Harry Byrd and would have wanted Byrd as his Secretary of the Treasury if elected. Byrd could probably deliver Virginia for Taft.

Did Byrd actually say that he would endorse him? Seems more likely that he'd just stay neutral as in OTL.