The Drakian Folly: A Spanish Armada TL

The Drakian Folly

The Singeing of the King of Spain's Beard

AtaqueDrakes.jpg

A map of the planned English raid of Cadiz.

Sir Francis Drake was one of the first great English seamen. He nearly destroyed Spain's fleet and nearly avoided the Spanish Armada through a raid fancifully called the Singeing of the King of Spain's Beard. But what stopped him?

History tells us that he had plans to put into motion of a raid of the location of Spain's fleet, Cadiz.

The authority of the Pope was under risk. A series of related denominations known as Protestantism was rising. In England, it became the state religion in the 1570s. In addition, Holland declared their independence from Hapsburg rule and became a Protestant nation. Spain joined France in the France Catholic League in an attempt to eradicate Protestantism.

In 1585, a war at last broke out. Spain began the construction of an armada that was then known was the Invincible Armada. Spain had a goal of invading England.

The Queen of England, Queen Elizabeth, put Drake in command of a fleet with the purpose of attacking Spanish ships, as during this period, a war was going on between the two. On April 12, 1587, the fleet departed for Spain. Seven days later, Queen Elizabeth sent instructions not to attack Spain. Drake received them and cancelled his raid[1].

[1] In OTL, this message was never received. Drake destroyed about a hundred ships and delayed the Spanish Armada by one year.
---------------------------------------—--------------------------------------—--------------------------------------—--------------------------------------—
Anyways, this is my take on the Spanish Armada victory concept. Do not worry, it will not be a Spain-wank. I hope this TL goes better than all of my others.

Last edited: