Alternate Geographic Names

hey, all. a possibility occurred to me for my ASB ATL. basically, i want to look into an alternate name for New England. any ideas?

once this question is answered, i may bring this thread up again for other questions

hey, all. a possibility occurred to me for my ASB ATL. basically, i want to look into an alternate name for New England. any ideas?

once this question is answered, i may bring this thread up again for other questions

Norumbega. The name is more particular to Maine than the entire New England area.

Morty Vicar

Banned
A real life alternate name is Yankeeland. Depending on the history it could be New Spain, New France etc (except officially it would be Nouvelle-France). You could use the name Gespedeg 'the last land' which referred to the land into which the Mohawk were driven by the Mi'kmaq people.

Apparently Newfoundland once referred to all North America than just the island, so if it shifts to where NE is than said island...

North Virginia was an old, alternate name for it before John Smith of Jamestown gave it the moniker of NE.

Apparently Newfoundland once referred to all North America than just the island, so if it shifts to where NE is than said island...

North Virginia was an old, alternate name for it before John Smith of Jamestown gave it the moniker of NE.
i'm rather liking the idea of New England being Newfoundland. in that case, what should Newfoundland be called instead? :p just a quick search turns up Eilean a' Trosg (Scotch Gaelic for "Island of the Cod" and Talamh an Éisc (Irish Gaelic for "Land of the Fish"), apparently because of the island's importance to fishing

Newfoundland was England's first settlement in America I doubt New England would be called Newfoundland over it. But it could be called Gilbert seeing as that is who claimed it.

Newfoundland was England's first settlement in America I doubt New England would be called Newfoundland over it. But it could be called Gilbert seeing as that is who claimed it.

Newfoundland was discovered in 1497, claimed in 1583, and permanently settled in 1610 when Englishmen under the first governor, John Guy, came over. Jamestown was settled 1607.

If NL was the first successful English colony there'd be no dispute to it. Discoveries and claims being different from bonafide colonizing and settlement.

Newfoundland has a ridiculously gigantic list of historical nicknames and possible alternates, not entirely sure about New England though...

Vinland as a name for some place in North America would be long forgotten by the time New England is colonized.

Morty Vicar

Banned
Bearing in mind the Iceland/ Greenland origins, how about in an attempt to attract settlers they simply call it 'Harvest' or 'Eden' or something?

i think i'll leave "Harvest" on reserve (i could also use it to draw some parallels to Halo if i ever get a solid idea for that). what does everyone think about "New Mercia" for New England?

I think "New Mercia" could be a very good name. Furthermore, you can easily give names to the surrounding areas: OTL New Brunswick could become some sort of "New Northumbria".