Triumph of Dixie: A Confederate TL

The Battle of Antietam was a triumphant victory of the Confederacy,The Union was in retreat as the Army of Northern Virginia marched to Philadelphia,The War was basically over when Great Britain recognized the Confederacy Two Weeks later,The British sent supplies and invaded the Union from Canada, The United States now had to fight a war on two fronts,Detroit was besieged within a week of Great Britain joining the War,most of Northwestern New York was taken by Britain, as for the Southern Front,the Confederacy captured Philadelphia due to Union Troops being tied up in the Northern front against Great Britain,The Union was forced to negotiate Peace was Confederate and British Troops were marching toward Washington, The Treaty of Richmond stated that:

• The US Recognize the CS
  • The US cede New Mexico,Arizona,Kentucky,Tennessee,Maryland,Delaware,and Washington DC to the CS

Map of the Former US:
Y0GUkh8.png

As god is my witness, I read that as "Triumph of Trixie." You don't want to know the images that went through my head.

I don't know that we've seen a good confederate timeline since I've been around, so perhaps one is overdue. All I have to say is good luck. The key is research, research, research and of course style and flare in writing.

Interesting as a well done CSA scenario can be, I just have two quibbles here:

1) Britain is not going to war with the US on the CSA's account. Despite a number of close (or perceived close calls) OTL Britain was not going to fight the USA without extreme (perceived) provocation. Hell in my own TL it took quite a bit to accomplish it.

2) Delaware and Maryland would be a no go. The US would fight almost to the death to prevent the symbolic shame of the capital falling into the rebels hands. Nor can you get all of Missouri, it would need to be split down the middle since only the very southerly portions of the state were particularly CSA friendly.

While the idea is interesting I would suggest you scale back the borders of the CSA a bit and only have something like European recognition (since I don't think there's ever been a TL which seriously explores the issue of what effect that would have on the board) which is a very significant POD in and of itself.

1. Delaware is not leaving the Union even if it is a slave state. The DuPont family are quite pro-Union and will not permit such.

2. Also, Eastern Shore of Maryland will be a problem as it is cut off entirely form the mainland and it has strong pro-Union sentiment as well.

3. I am not sure that Missouri would survive intact (divided at the Missouri river?) or that at least that a plebiscite would not be considered, same for Kentucky.

4. West Virginia was not created until 1863 and many of its Union regiment have strong ties if not actual origins in Ohio as well, it may remain whole and Confederate.

Anaxagoras

Banned
I can see the United Kingdom recognizing the Confederacy in the event of a successful Maryland Campaign by Lee (which means no Emancipation Proclamation), but I cannot see them invading the Union from Canada. Not only would it not be in their interest to do so, but they would have no logistical ability to do so even if they had wanted to.

I also don't see Lee capturing Philadelphia even in a best-case-scenario Maryland Campaign. The Confederates were stretching their logistics to the breaking point simply by crossing the Potomac. Even if the Army of the Potomac simply vanished off the face of the earth, getting across the Susquehanna is not going to be in the cards.

Even in a best-case-scenario, the Army of Northern Virginia is in no condition to inflict a Cannae-like defeat on the Army of the Potomac. And even if it had, it would suffer so much damage itself in so doing that it would be wrecked for offensive operations for some time to come.

A best-case Maryland campaign would see Lee cross the Potomac, fight and defeat the Army of the Potomac and force it to retreat eastwards to cover Washington and Baltimore, forage in the enemy's country and raid a bit into southern Pennsylvania, then withdraw back into Virginia. That would have been a massive victory which could well have triggered foreign recognition, but Lee capturing Philadelphia is never going to happen.

1. Delaware is not leaving the Union even if it is a slave state. The DuPont family are quite pro-Union and will not permit such.

2. Also, Eastern Shore of Maryland will be a problem as it is cut off entirely form the mainland and it has strong pro-Union sentiment as well.

3. I am not sure that Missouri would survive intact (divided at the Missouri river?) or that at least that a plebiscite would not be considered, same for Kentucky.

4. West Virginia was not created until 1863 and many of its Union regiment have strong ties if not actual origins in Ohio as well, it may remain whole and Confederate.

1. Don't know about the DuPonts, but I think I recall a figure indicating Delaware contributed more troops per capita to the Union forces. Could be wrong, though.

2. Any part of Maryland is unlikely...

3. I'd actually really love to see a TL on the particulars of those two states. Too often it is a simple re-painting or a horrid gash across the state.

4. Doubtful. Of course, if the Union is just going to roll over for and give up Maryland and all the rest, bit of Virginia isn't going to matter...

Ah come on guys. Give the kid a break. He's only had one post to his timeline. Let's not tear him to pieces before he gets a head of steam up.

My impression is that he's going to focus on a post Confederacy era. This is just his starting point. Well, okay, let's see what he does with it.

Ah come on guys. Give the kid a break. He's only had one post to his timeline. Let's not tear him to pieces before he gets a head of steam up.

My impression is that he's going to focus on a post Confederacy era. This is just his starting point. Well, okay, let's see what he does with it.

Well, I can't be the only one with a sneaking suspicion that uncomfortable details like the significant Unionist populations in Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and generally all over the CSA will be glossed over. I suppose we'll know for sure how serious this is depending on when (or if) the CSA abolishes slavery. If its anytime in the first two decades or so, that's cause for serious concern. You've got to admit, this is one hell of a CSA wank already just going by borders.

Yes, it's looking like a CSA Wank. And yes, there's a worry that the rather unpalatable portions of a belligerent slaveocracy are going to be glossed over.

But what the hell. Let's give him a chance. How about ten posts with no shredding?

I'm on board with giving the new guy a chance. Wanks in either meaning can be very fun. Or who knows, maybe he'll blow our minds in the next posts.

As far as Confederate timelines go....this is not the most far fetched i have seen, but highly implausible. That said, i am far more interested in watching where this goes.

also, inb4 someone in particular screams ASB

Oh I know, I wasn't trying to be a jerk, just trying to help...

Interesting as a well done CSA scenario can be, I just have two quibbles here:

1) Britain is not going to war with the US on the CSA's account. Despite a number of close (or perceived close calls) OTL Britain was not going to fight the USA without extreme (perceived) provocation. Hell in my own TL it took quite a bit to accomplish it.

2) Delaware and Maryland would be a no go. The US would fight almost to the death to prevent the symbolic shame of the capital falling into the rebels hands. Nor can you get all of Missouri, it would need to be split down the middle since only the very southerly portions of the state were particularly CSA friendly.

While the idea is interesting I would suggest you scale back the borders of the CSA a bit and only have something like European recognition (since I don't think there's ever been a TL which seriously explores the issue of what effect that would have on the board) which is a very significant POD in and of itself.

Thanks for being honest,I will try to work on plausibility in later posts

I'm interested to see how on Earth Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland, and Delaware all go gray. There were a number of large armies.

I'm putting my bet down on the standard Confederate emancipation in 1868, massive, fast industrialization that both avoids inequality and any unions forming, and then is on track for the traditional CSA beating the Nazis and Japanese single-handedly with their manly virtue as the lily-livered Yankees run.

That said, I am willing to be surprised. But this seems like an optimistic starting scenario, and we haven't heard the "Why Britain" reason yet.