Alt Armstrong first step speech

There is a story that for the Apollo 11 mission, Neil Armstrong was having trouble coming up with a suitable first step speech, and NASA is on record as having refused to give him a script. So he was brooding about it on the way out.

At this point the Command Module pilot Michael Collins was apparently advising him that what he should do, on stepping onto the lunar surface was:

1 - Face in a direction the camera could not see.
2 - Say "That's funny, what's that?"
3 - pause
4 - "What, no, no it can't be, no, NO, AHHHHHH!"
5 - Cut transmission.

Clearly this was intended as a joke to cheer up Armstrong, but what if he had ACTUALLY done that.

Keep in mind that President Nixon was waiting to talk to them live on air.

The conspiracy theorists would be going on about it to this day.

What else?

Don't know that one.

There's an urban legend that Armstrong's neighbour named Gorsky was scolded by his mother one day, saying that he would only get oral sex (I think) the day one of his neighbours walked on the moon, and that's the part which Neil Armstrong overheard. So when Armstrong eventually got there, he's alleged to have mouthed his blessing.

As I said, it's just an urban legend, but a pretty fun one at that. :p

Delta Force

Banned
There's an urban legend that Armstrong's neighbour named Gorsky was scolded by his mother one day, saying that he would only get oral sex (I think) the day one of his neighbours walked on the moon, and that's the part which Neil Armstrong overheard. So when Armstrong eventually got there, he's alleged to have mouthed his blessing.

As I said, it's just an urban legend, but a pretty fun one at that. :p

I think it's supposed to have been Gorsky's wife who said that.

I think it's supposed to have been Gorsky's wife who said that.

Yeah. The story I've heard is that when Armstrong was a kid he heard the next door neighbors fighting, culminating with the wife shouting "Oral sex? You'll get oral sex when the Armstrong kid next door walks on the moon!"

Hence, "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky"

Unfortunately Armstrong was such a robot (part of the reason he got the gig in the first place) he'd never say something like that in real life.

Why does there have to be any speech? Why not just step off the LM and say something like "let's get to work"?

"We come in peace for all man kind"
"God Bless America"
"One small.... Oh..upp... Shit... Yep I fell off the ladder"
"Suck that comrade ruskie"

"What the **** is that Union Jack doing here?"
(Sorry couldn't resist that one(HG Wells has a lot to answer for:))

How about
"Now for Mars"

Saphroneth

Banned
"I can see everyone's house from here!"

"And you thought we couldn't do it, BERNARD! I know that probably wasn't your name, but it's worth it to freak out all the Bernards in the world."

"Buy Coca-Cola."

"Dibs!"

"I name this moon Armstropia."

"...wait, I forgot my camera. Okay, Buzz, we'll have to go back and get my camera!"

"We have got here by standing on the shoulders of a giant, and that giant is Mankind."

sharlin

Banned
As he goes out he bangs his shin or something and in the heat of the moment forgets his mic is on

"And now we go to Neil Armstrong...on the moon."

"Ow!!! Fuck me..jesus that bloody hurt!"

*cuts back to reporter who's gone pale as a sheet*

"Um..they..appear..to be having..er..technical...difficulties.."

Saphroneth

Banned
As he goes out he bangs his shin or something and in the heat of the moment forgets his mic is on

Reminds me of one SF book paralleling the Pacific Campaign, where the equivalent of Macarthur's big moment (to say "I have returned") was all reported fictitiously. His actual first words were (translated into non-SF):

Mahoney said:
"I forgot how much this damned island smells like an open - incoming!"
Artillery shell hits nearby.

Anyway, here's another couple:

"Vive la France!"

"Hey, there's some kind of... door..."

"It's time you learned the truth, earthlings!"

"Yeee-haw!"

"Let them eat cake! Wait, wrong script."

Thomas27

Banned
Imagine:

"Well it's done. Should we go home now?"

or

"Walking on the moon: Done. What about Mars now?"

or

"Moon: sand, dust, rock. Is there a bar somewhere?"

or

"There's nobody here, lets go home."

"Houston, I am standing on the moon, repeat, I am actually standing on the surface of the moon, over"