The Trouble with Tariffs

This is my first TL. It originates from a crisis that was caused by tariffs during the presidency of Andrew Jackson. South Carolina opposed the tariffs so much that they threatened to secede from the United States if the tariffs were not repealed. However, they would actually do it! History would never be the same.

THE TROUBLE WITH TARIFFS​
A Counterfactual History of An Independent South​

Sket-Calhoun.jpg

The year is 1832. The President of the United States is Andrew Jackson. About 20 years has passed since the War of 1812 in America and the Napoleonic Wars in Europe. The Nullification Crisis had just begun over the Tariff of 1832, signed into law by Jackson, which made South Carolina regard it as "unconstitutional" - that is, that it violated the Constitution. The crisis was intense - until December 6th.

On that day, South Carolina made the decision to secede from the Union, figuring that the tariffs of 1828 and 1832 would not be repealed. Governor James Hamilton, Jr. had called for the state to break away from the U.S. and to destroy all tariffs. He also wanted the new nation to gain worldwide support. That would prove to be true...

Last edited:
Here we go then!

BIRTH OF A NEW REPUBLIC

The Tariff of 1828, or the Tariff of Abominations, was passed on May 19, 1828 to protect industries in the northern United States which were being driven out of business by low-priced imported goods by taxing them. The South, however, was harmed directly by having to pay higher prices on goods the region did not produce, and indirectly because reducing the exportation of British goods to the U.S. made it difficult for the British to pay for the cotton they imported from the South. The reaction in the South, particularly in South Carolina, would lead to the Nullification Crisis that began in late 1832, and eventually, the state's secession.

The tariff was part of a plot cooked up by New York senator Martin Van Buren to elect Andrew Jackson as president. Van Buren calculated that the South would vote for Jackson regardless of the issues so he ignored their interests in drafting the bill. New England, he thought, was just as likely to support the incumbent John Quincy Adams, so the bill levied heavy taxes on raw materials consumed by New England such as hemp, flax, molasses, iron and sail duck. With an additional tariff on iron to satisfy Pennsylvania interests, Van Buren expected the tariff to help deliver Pennsylvania, New York, Missouri, Ohio, and Kentucky to Jackson. Over opposition from the South and some from New England, the tariff was passed with the full support of many Jackson supporters in Congress and signed by President Adams in early 1828.

V000009.jpg
Martin Van Buren​

Andrew_Jackson_Portrait.jpg
President Andrew Jackson​

South Carolina leaders then decided to protest the tariff, demanding nullification of the tariff at all costs. Then the Tariff of 1832 was passed, and South Carolina tried to nullify it, too. Governor James Hamilton Jr. then decided to break away from the United States, destroy all tariffs, and possibly gain worldwide support. Then the turning point came.

jhamilton.jpg
Governor James Hamilton Jr. of South Carolina, whose decision to secede from the Union would change history forever​

The Nullification Convention met in November of 1832 and declared that both tariffs were unconstitutional and unenforceable within the state of South Carolina after February 1, 1833. They said that attempts to use force to collect the taxes would lead to the state’s secession. Then, on December 6, 1832, South Carolina seceded from the Union. Hamilton had figured out that the tariffs would not be repealed, and so called for the state to pull out. Vice President John C. Calhoun then left Washington on December 28th.

JohnCCalhoun.jpeg
John C. Calhoun, later the First President of Cottolvania​

Then, two weeks later, both Georgia and North Carolina also seceded from the Union. Together, the three states formed the Republic of Cottolvania on January 10th, with Hamilton as a temporary President. A great future was in store for the new nation...

Last edited:
Then, on December 6, 1832, South Carolina seceded from the Union. Hamilton had figured out that the tariffs would not be repelled, and so called for the state to pull out. Vice President John C. Calhoun then left Washington on December 28th.

JohnCCalhoun.jpeg
John C. Calhoun, later the First President of Cottolvania​

Then, two weeks later, both Georgia and North Carolina also seceded from the Union. Together, the three states formed the Republic of Cottolvania on January 10th, with Hamilton as a temporary President. A great future was in store for the new nation...

Of course, said future is only about 2 months long. AJ would NOT stand for secession and those three states simply aren't anything like big enough to stand against the rest of the country.

Of course, said future is only about 2 months long. AJ would NOT stand for secession and those three states simply aren't anything like big enough to stand against the rest of the country.

I promise you, this new country will face great times. Okay, maybe not in the first few months, but maybe in about sixty years.

I've always wanted to see what would happen if South Carolina swallowed their fear and went whole hog. I'm excited to see what's next.

I've always wanted to see what would happen if South Carolina swallowed their fear and went whole hog. I'm excited to see what's next.

If you want to know, here's a preview:

THE STRUGGLE

When John C. Calhoun arrived to Columbia, South Carolina, on February 7th, 1833, he was greeted with a hero's welcome. He became President on February 8th, with Robert Y. Hayne as his vice President. Governor Hamilton became Secretary of State, George McDuffie became Secretary of Treasury, and Robert Rhett became Attorney General. The five of them met on February 14th and decided to draft a new constitution for Cottolvania and add Alabama and Florida to the new republic.

hayne.jpg
Vice President Robert Y. Hayne​

jhamilton.jpg
Secretary of State James Hamilton​

mcduffie.jpg
Secretary of Treasury George McDuffie​

Robert_Barnwell_Rhett%2C_Sr.gif
Attorney General Robert B. Rhett​

Then, U.S. troops began marching towards Columbia, reaching the capital on March 2nd. Calhoun and his cabinet left quickly to Spartanburg, along with the original six senators: Bedford Brown, John Forsyth, Willie Mangum, Stephen Miller, George Troup, and Henry Pinckney. Together, on March 10th, they not only decided to add Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Florida to their control, but also to rename the Carolinas as "Piedmontova" and "Spartandia" (with the respective original names being North Carolina and South Carolina).

Meanwhile, American troops had burned Columbia and were just about to strike north to Charlotte, near the Piedmontova/Spartandia border...

Last edited:
Here's more of the next chapter:

THE STRUGGLE

When John C. Calhoun arrived to Columbia, South Carolina, on February 7th, 1833, he was greeted with a hero's welcome. He became President on February 8th, with Robert Y. Hayne as his vice President. Governor Hamilton became Secretary of State, George McDuffie became Secretary of Treasury, and Robert Rhett became Attorney General. The five of them met on February 14th and decided to draft a new constitution for Cottolvania and add Alabama and Florida to the new republic.

hayne.jpg
Vice President Robert Y. Hayne​

jhamilton.jpg
Secretary of State James Hamilton​

mcduffie.jpg
Secretary of Treasury George McDuffie​

Robert_Barnwell_Rhett%2C_Sr.gif
Attorney General Robert B. Rhett​

Then, U.S. troops began marching towards Columbia, reaching the capital on March 2nd. Calhoun and his cabinet left quickly to Spartanburg, along with the original six senators: Bedford Brown, John Forsyth, Willie Mangum, Stephen Miller, George Troup, and Henry Pinckney. Together, on March 10th, they not only decided to add Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Florida to their control, but also to rename the Carolinas as "Piedmontova" and "Spartandia" (with the respective original names being North Carolina and South Carolina).

Meanwhile, American troops had burned Columbia and were just about to strike north to Charlotte, near the Piedmontova/Spartandia border. Led by a general named Zachary Taylor, these men decided to destroy Reed Gold Mine, a gold mine in Concord, northeast of Charlotte. As U.S. troops prepared to go in, they were surprised by a Cotonese force, led by Montfort Stokes, coming out of the opening. Taylor was furious and tried to killed Stokes with a bullet, but the bullet missed and killed Thomas Bragg instead. The Cotonese killed nine soldiers in revenge (not including Taylor and another general, Winfield Scott).

3b19106r.jpg
American General Zachary Taylor​

General-Winfield-Scott-%281786-1866%291835.jpg
American General Winfield Scott​

NCG-MontfortStokes.jpg
Cotonese General Montfort Stokes​

The Cotonese eventually won the Battle of the Gold Mine, prompting war between the U.S. and Cottolvania. This began a new era...

So...any comments?

A promising beginning.

I'm not sure about the names, to be honest: if the Carolinas and Maryland didn't change their names after the Revolution, why would they now?

I'm also interested to see where this is going. I'm especially interested to see the effect this will have on the remaining slave states in the US, and how Congress is going to evolve - though I think that in the 1830s, the stark North/South party split hadn't yet developed, still being more big states/small states.

A promising beginning.

I'm not sure about the names, to be honest: if the Carolinas and Maryland didn't change their names after the Revolution, why would they now?

I'm also interested to see where this is going. I'm especially interested to see the effect this will have on the remaining slave states in the US, and how Congress is going to evolve - though I think that in the 1830s, the stark North/South party split hadn't yet developed, still being more big states/small states.

Thanks!

Basically, "Piedmontova" is North Carolina, while "Spartandia" is South Carolina. However, I have no clue about the changes.

The other slave states (Louisiana, Missouri, Kentucky, Virginia, and Maryland) are going to stay in the U.S. - for now.

A preview:

The War

On March 18th, President John C. Calhoun of Cottolvania declared war on the United States of America, claiming that Andrew Jackson had no right to send troops to reunite the states together. Jackson, who had troops guarding the border so that Cottolvania wouldn’t grab more states, responded by asking Congress to declare war on Cottolvania on March 29th. The War of Cotonese Sucession had officially begun.

Robert Barnwell Rhett in Government! My favourite villain. This is a POD that is not often examined. I look forward to seeing more...

South Carolina succession in the 18300s is always a POD that is not fleshed out, so good on you for trying. Problem is i do not see it asting very long, even if such a thing were to happen in OTL.

Logically i see this same thing happening as it did in the OTL civil war, just 30 years earlier..

Cottolvania wouldn’t grab more states, responded by asking Congress to declare war on Cottolvania on March 29th. The War of Cotonese Sucession had officially begun.

Thanks!

Basically, "Piedmontova" is North Carolina, while "Spartandia" is South Carolina. However, I have no clue about the changes.

THose names are bad. They aare so bad. THey are very bad, and they deserve to be mocked for how terrible they are.

Robert Barnwell Rhett in Government! My favourite villain. This is a POD that is not often examined. I look forward to seeing more...

I'll try to post the next chapter this week, if not today.

South Carolina succession in the 18300s is always a POD that is not fleshed out, so good on you for trying. Problem is i do not see it asting very long, even if such a thing were to happen in OTL.

Logically i see this same thing happening as it did in the OTL civil war, just 30 years earlier..

If there is a war, it'll be a short one, lasting at least four months.

The War

391.jpg
The Battle of Goodson​

On March 18th, 1833, President John C. Calhoun of Cottolvania declared war on the United States of America, claiming that Andrew Jackson had no right to send troops to reunite the states together. Jackson, who had troops guarding the border so that Cottolvania wouldn’t grab more states, responded by asking Congress to declare war on Cottolvania on March 29th. The War of Cotonese Sucession had officially begun.

On April 7th, Cotonese troops began to move north, towards the U.S. states of Virginia and Kentucky. Three days later, they met U.S. troops in Goodson, Virginia. The Battle of Goodson was fought until May 1st. It was won by Cotonese troops, who proceeded to move on northeast to Lexington. On May 10th, the Siege of Lexington began. Six weeks of starvation disrupted the city and gave Cottolvania and Calhoun an advantage.

Le_Bourget%2C_30_octobre_1870_%281878%29_de_Alphonse_de_Neuville.jpg
The Cotonese Siege of Lexington on June 3rd, 3 weeks before the city fell​

On June 23rd, the city fell into the hands of the Cotonese. Infuriated, Andrew Jackson decided to take matters into his own hands...

This makes about as much sense as Hitler's directives to "Army Group Vistula".

The SC rebels cannot even defend their own state, but they are taking over vast other parts of the country?

Why would Tennessee join this rebellion, when it was generally a pro-tariff state? (And loyal to its native son, President Jackson.)

This makes about as much sense as Hitler's directives to "Army Group Vistula".

The SC rebels cannot even defend their own state, but they are taking over vast other parts of the country?

Why would Tennessee join this rebellion, when it was generally a pro-tariff state? (And loyal to its native son, President Jackson.)

What else would the Cotonese do? They needed more senators to Spartanburg so they added three states plus Florida.

To be honest, I had no idea that Tennessee was more loyal to the U.S.

What else would the Cotonese do? They needed more senators to Spartanburg so they added three states plus Florida.

To be honest, I had no idea that Tennessee was more loyal to the U.S.

Lets be honest. The North, even at this stage is still a thousand times more industrialised than the Southern states, regardless. The is the biggest problem that you seem to be ignoring, and that alone should be enough to practically destroy this rebellion. Hell, there is no logic at all to having this southern army invade the any other state. they are now the aggressor so the north will put this down harshly.

North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia (i refeuse to use the names you have provided)should have faltered pretty easily. Hell, even the Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia governors/representatives stated that South Carolina's attempts at nullification were "rash and revolutionary" and "unsound and dangerous" - and these are three states which are ardently pro-states rights like South Carolina.

The other border states, such as Maryland, Delaware, Virginia and even Tenessee i have significant doubts would even join this new country. If anything,m the parallels to the civil war 30 years later should have happened. Maryland, due to Washington, will be under martial law. Delaware, like in the civil war, will be, and i quote "The first to ratify the Union, and will be the last to leave it."

Tennessee will not go against Jackson as they put all their effort into making him President. He is their favorite son for a reason. The state is ardent pro-Jackson.

And Virginia, well, Virginia.....their favorite sons at the moment are Scott and Taylor. Sure, there is Nat Turner's rebellion is still fresh in their mind, but at the moment Virginia has more to lose by leaving than staying. Virginia puts a lot of effort into remaining, well, i would say neutral.

Full update on the next chapter!

THE WAR

391.jpg
The Battle of Goodson​

On March 18th, 1833, President John C. Calhoun of Cottolvania declared war on the United States of America, claiming that Andrew Jackson had no right to send troops to reunite the states together. Jackson, who had troops guarding the border so that Cottolvania wouldn’t grab more states, responded by asking Congress to declare war on Cottolvania on March 29th. The War of Cotonese Sucession had officially begun.

On April 7th, Cotonese troops began to move north, towards the U.S. states of Virginia and Kentucky. Three days later, they met U.S. troops in Goodson, Virginia. The Battle of Goodson was fought until May 1st. It was won by Cotonese troops, who proceeded to move on northeast to Lexington. On May 10th, the Siege of Lexington began. Six weeks of starvation disrupted the city and gave Cottolvania and Calhoun an advantage.

Le_Bourget%2C_30_octobre_1870_%281878%29_de_Alphonse_de_Neuville.jpg
The Cotonese Siege of Lexington on June 3rd, 3 weeks before the city fell​

On June 23rd, the city fell into the hands of the Cotonese. Infuriated, Andrew Jackson decided to take matters into his own hands. He called in Zachary Taylor and Winfield Scott, two of the best generals in the U.S., and gave them Special Order 101. He also persuaded Congress to pass new laws that guaranteed satisfaction for the U.S. The first was the Presidental Act of 1833, which made the President have a lifetime status in office. The second was the Executive Act of 1833, which gave the executive branch even more power than before. Jackson, now President-for-Life, used the power to drive the Cotonese back... to the Virginia/Piedmontova border. The Americans then lost the ten-day Battle of Murfreesboro to Cottolvania, making President-for-Life Jackson called for a peace treaty with Cottolvania.

Battle_of_Fort_Pillow.png

The Battle of Murfreesboro

Jackson had figured out that the peace treaty would destroy Cotonese moral. However, the sacking of Louisville changed all that...

Last edited:
Lets be honest. The North, even at this stage is still a thousand times more industrialised than the Southern states, regardless. The is the biggest problem that you seem to be ignoring, and that alone should be enough to practically destroy this rebellion.

Which is why, in the last chapter, I had the "rebels" move into Virginia. It should be obvious that, despite being less industrial than the North, the South could pretty much join the rebels.

North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia (i refeuse to use the names you have provided)should have faltered pretty easily. Hell, even the Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia governors/representatives stated that South Carolina's attempts at nullification were "rash and revolutionary" and "unsound and dangerous" - and these are three states which are ardently pro-states rights like South Carolina.

With the addition of Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, and Tennessee, the new republic could survive at least ten years, maybe more.

The other border states, such as Maryland, Delaware, Virginia and even Tenessee i have significant doubts would even join this new country. If anything,m the parallels to the civil war 30 years later should have happened. Maryland, due to Washington, will be under martial law. Delaware, like in the civil war, will be, and i quote "The first to ratify the Union, and will be the last to leave it."

Tennessee will not go against Jackson as they put all their effort into making him President. He is their favorite son for a reason. The state is ardent pro-Jackson.

Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware are happy to stay in the Union. Tennessee, however, will be annexed into Cottolvania soon.

And Virginia, well, Virginia.....their favorite sons at the moment are Scott and Taylor. Sure, there is Nat Turner's rebellion is still fresh in their mind, but at the moment Virginia has more to lose by leaving than staying. Virginia puts a lot of effort into remaining, well, i would say neutral.

Now this I agree with. There's no way Virginia can leave, not with Washington right across the river.