Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013

I figured the EU3 thread will not do anymore given that the game's release date is now announced: 13 August.

Pre-orders are already up at GMG.

Standard edition
; $39.99, €39.99, £34.99
Deluxe; $44.99, €44.99, £39.99 (Includes extra day-1 DLCs)

GMG coupon code for 20% off: GMG20-JLKSA-7A8HA

Note that whether its brought on GG, GMG or Steam, its all Steam codes. Steam is the only platform for Eu4.

I've mentioned in the other thread I'm testing it right now (played all weekend :D ) and it's a blast, definitely a good evolutionary step over 5.2. I can't say say much, NDA oblige, but I've already made my Deluxe pre-order.

Last edited:
More information on what each edition entails can be found here. To sum it up, if you pre-order either edition you get bonuses (three of them, the only one revealed so far is the 100 years war unit pack). If you order the extreme edition, you get three additional DLCs: Star and Crescent (70 new Muslim themed pictures + new events for Muslim nations), Horsemen of the Crescent (a unit pack for Ottoman, Muslim, and Persian nations), and Conquest of Constantinople (a music pack with 3 tracks/10 minutes of new music).

It sounds to me like the extreme edition is only worth it if you play muslim countries very often and really want the new events and cavalry modes, or if you just really want some new music to add to your game. :rolleyes: It seems a tad boring to me.

I'm excited about the release date, I thought we'd have to wait for much longer than this :D

Thanks for the discount code, by the way.

There are two more DLCs than this, on which the details aren't all public yet, but they've made so many Day1 DLCs that I'm confused myself about where they fit in. I assumed theyd be in the deluxe package, but maybe not. Maybe theyre planning on selling extra day-1 stuff separately. :/

Try Chronicles, it has got the other expansions and is excellent. Got great mods as well.

I've decided to avoid that tacked-on Asian-themed Divine Wind expansion that popped up last year. I think it's not really worth buying, I didn't like most of the new features in it. Since the only thing it lacks is DW, I think the Complete edition is more than enough for me. ;)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to bring Novgorod into the 16th century.

I've decided to avoid that tacked-on Asian-themed Divine Wind expansion that popped up last year. I think it's not really worth buying, I didn't like most of the new features in it. Since the only thing it lacks is DW, I think the Complete edition is more than enough for me. ;)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to bring Novgorod into the 16th century.

Eu4 retconned the ahistorical Japan from Divine Wind and brings to the table the most historical setup Europa has seen yet for the land of the rising sun. The modder who had made the best 'Japan' mod in EU3 was basically given carte blanche. All the major Daimyo families are there now and I'm pretty impressed with the gameplay.

More information on what each edition entails can be found here. To sum it up, if you pre-order either edition you get bonuses (three of them, the only one revealed so far is the 100 years war unit pack). If you order the extreme edition, you get three additional DLCs: Star and Crescent (70 new Muslim themed pictures + new events for Muslim nations), Horsemen of the Crescent (a unit pack for Ottoman, Muslim, and Persian nations), and Conquest of Constantinople (a music pack with 3 tracks/10 minutes of new music).

It sounds to me like the extreme edition is only worth it if you play muslim countries very often and really want the new events and cavalry modes, or if you just really want some new music to add to your game. :rolleyes: It seems a tad boring to me.

I'm excited about the release date, I thought we'd have to wait for much longer than this :D

Thanks for the discount code, by the way.

Where do I buy this one, how much, and is it available at Gamersgate? XD So EXCITED!

Eu4 retconned the ahistorical Japan from Divine Wind and brings to the table the most historical setup Europa has seen yet for the land of the rising sun. The modder who had made the best 'Japan' mod in EU3 was basically given carte blanche. All the major Daimyo families are there now and I'm pretty impressed with the gameplay.

What are you, a living commercial ? :mad: :D :)

Technically, it's called the Extreme Edition, not deluxe, but yes.

It's so X-treeeem, it'll have your advisors's statz written in da kewlest knew l33t sp33k, bro ! :p

Now that a release date has been set forth I wonder just how historically accurate Europe is.

Time to go look at the developer diaries and hope that if the start date isn't 1356, it can be moved back.

Time to go look at the developer diaries and hope that if the start date isn't 1356, it can be moved back.

The timeline is Nov 1444 to Dec 1820; yes, the date is moddable and since 1356 was a major EU3 mod, I'm guessing it'll be around once again.

Now that a release date has been set forth I wonder just how historically accurate Europe is.

Just play CKII if you want to play in 1356?

The timeline is Nov 1444 to Dec 1820; yes, the date is moddable and since 1356 was a major EU3 mod, I'm guessing it'll be around once again.

Just play CKII if you want to play in 1356?

1356 marked the Golden Bull which created the Holy Roman Empire we all know and love. It is also late enough where the states are not "medieval", and beginning to centralize, while there is no clear frontrunner and they aren't absolute yet.

Plus extending the timeframe is always nice.

Yuan China, Byzantium not hopeless, Bulgaria, The Rise of the Timurids, Consolidation of the Golden Horde, etc...

Byzantium isnt quite hopeless in 1444, but youre in for hell of a ride. I restored the Empire already in the beta, but its gotten harder since :)