Order and Progress...just not here...

"And he is deceased"

"You are sure?" said the tall, burly guard in a rather brutal way

"As sure as I can be. Rare instances may permit for these cases to deceive even the best-trained of us..."

As the Captain of the Guard drew his pistol the guard grabbed the physician by the chest, locking his arms in place. At a distance of but 12 feet even a pistol had some accuracy. "If he should rise it will be at the cost of your life".

"Very well, my life it is", said the man. He showed no fear, which startled the Captain somewhat. For a man without military experience to be showing no visible fear when threatened with his life..."I see people die all the time and it is not the first time I have been threatened, monsieur. Treating the higher society patients means that often I am blamed when things turn out anywhere less than they expect. You may put away the pistol, I accept your terms".

The Captain nodded respectfully and put away the pistol. There was a reason a French doctor from Europe was on the staff after all, and if one of the best in Europe said so..."Lay the body in state waiting for three days. Afterwards have fragrant flowers ready with a glass display. A shame, really, he showed such promise. Doctor, what will you say is the cause of death?"

"For Emperor Pedro II of the House of Braganza, consumption took his life at the tender age of 8 in the Year of Our Lord 1834 on the seventeenth day in the month of July. What should we do now, Captain?"

Indeed the question haunted the Captain deeply. Without the younger Pedro it meant that his brother Manuel would technically inherit the kingdom. His arch-conservatism and failure to abide by the wishes of the people or the army combined with his hell-bent desire to reunite Brazil to Portugal might make his rule short, but who could say.

"We do as we are honor-bound to do and notify Manuel. Whether we like it or not that is the law, yes? Long live the Emperor!"

"Long live the Emperor" was the response in soft though audible chorus.

"Long live the Republic! Our Piratini Republic!" was the chant from the crowd as independence was formally declared on September 11, 1836. Many chanted the unofficial anthem from the streets and two friends in the best of their young days were strolling through Piratini itself. After listening to Antonio de Souza Neto give a rousing speech to the cheers of the crowd, one later inscribed in his diary:

'What a joyous time here! With the declarations on independence in Pernambuco, the slave revolt in Bahia, and now our glorious Republic, Manuel will be hard-pressed to not recognize at least one of us. Word from Europe is that his combined mercenary army, promised lands beyond compare in Brazil should they win, has defeated his niece's army in the field. His return from Europe on the death of his nephew threw the Cortes into chaos and while his play on that is admirable, the consolidation of his rule in Portugal comes at the cost of his rule here. There will be no absolute monarchy here! We will have our voices and our rights!

Also is the notice that the Argentineans plan to offer us statehood in their Republic. Without anyone to challenge them, they have already taken Cisplatina under their wing and are moving on the loathed Paraguay. That war will cost them time, money, and energy, allowing us to become stronger still! We hope to spread our revolution to Santa Catarina and perhaps get them to join us in the spirit of Revolution! Long live the Republic!! Long live Piratini!!"

"But what of the Imperial Army marching from Rio de Janiero, Your Excellency?" came the question. He knew it was coming, but that did not resolve the problem.

"What of it? Manuel has sent 10,000 troops to 'consolidate' his rule here while his ally Charles is too busy mopping up southern Spain to assist. Empress Maria has supporters here but Maria Christina is not seen to be a legitimate source of Imperial authority. Brazil is, frankly, on the verge of collapse. We have taken Recife and Pernambuco, Piratini has repelled three pro-Manuel armies and even liberated the Juliana Republic which it promptly absorbed. Shame the last one forced them to ask for help from Argentina, it is as likely as not that both will answer to Buenos Aires by year's end. But come, it is the beginning of a new decade, we should still have some hope. Look at the fine American pistols we just received" as he pointed to a box of 100 Colt Paterson pistols just arrived from the United States. These were to be distributed to the Imperial Guard of Empress Maria and, perhaps one day, used as templates for expanding domestic industry.

"I see no reason why we can not allow a puppet to rule here on paper while real power lay elsewhere, eh? Let the Empress have her position, we shall have our power base as well".

"What of the chance that Charles consolidates in Spain and gains traction for sending a force here?"

"And gives Argentina a reason to claim southern Brazil against its former master? Are they really that..." The short answer was yes, especially if they thought that somehow they might subjugate the provinces back to Lisbon or Madrid rule. Even more concerning was the failing health of the childless Miguel of Portugal - clearing the way for Charles of Spain to unite the Iberian peninsula and perhaps try again to mount an offensive on Brazil. This time though would he stop there or try for other conquests?

Last edited:

"But my lady, we control from Bahia to Amapa and have been unable to make progress against the Imperial Remnant out of Espiritu Santo and Minas Gerais. Bahia itself is under siege but holding out well, the "Army of Iberia" however controls everything north of Sao Paolo. A state calling itself "Parana" has been declared south of Sao Paolo and joined the Riograndese Republic, which is now all but Argentinean. King Carlos has decided we are the weaker target even as Amapa is being overrun by European explorers desperate to claim it for themselves while Venezuela and Colombia are moving to make the Great River their southern border. Buenos Aires is being used to consolidate the whole of the Rio Plata settlements under Presidente Rosas, as we fight so he gains power. What would you have us do?"

Empress Maria was besides herself. She ruled a large part of the former Empire of Brazil but her armies, though fierce, were more numerous than those of King Carlos though less disciplined and more reliant on militia units. Fighting on home ground made a significant difference as did her channeling the frustrations of the populace to facing the enemy, but her General Rivas was in no way assuredly confident of victory. Sending the Army of Pernambuco into the field was a gamble, keeping the capital in Recife was likely to make Rio de Janiero and Sao Paolo reject overtures for reintegration without significant pushback. "We field the army", she told him, "and we fight with our backs to the sea. If we lose Bahia then what legitimacy do we have? Who supports us if no one else thinks we can win? Do we turn to our American friends who are already mulling over the rogue Texas province of Mexico and have not looked to help us? Or Argentina who would extract a pound of flesh and a province or two for the trouble? No, my dear Rivas, we fight and we preserve what we can in hopes that we can soon retake the rest of the country back!"

A diary note followed the Battle of Ilheus where King Carlos lost over a third of his army though the Imperial forces were also decimated in fierce hand-to-hand fighting and unable to mount a counteroffensive.

"She promised us liberation and has granted it - no more slavery in the Empire for any man who fought here today. This is unheard of an many consider it a betrayal though with the state of things she must do what she can. Her popularity keeps her alive, no one is stupid enough to go directly against her, not when the population loves her so. Were it not for the great landlords I suspect she would liberate the entire Empire, perhaps she will do so soon. I can only hope that in the course of events the tireless conflict that has enveloped this land in the last 20 years will settle down, especially as we are apparently ripe fruit for whoever sees fit to pick it. She states she will bring peace, all I want is to go home to my farm and grow crops with my family. In a better world maybe even own all the land I work."

Gunshots rang out clearly against the morning sky as Presidente Rosas watched from about 500 feet away. Carlos Lopez had obtained some power after the death of his uncle in Paraguay but now that was removed, the governorship of the renewed State of Asuncion was in the hands of Mariano Alonso who was present to witness the assassination.

"Presidente I am honored to be here and glad to see the world rid of another despot with no vision"

I wonder what he would say about me if it were me at the firing line, Rosas thought to himself. Sycophants were abundant for leaders of a rising nation, especially now that the Piratini Republic and Juliana Republics had joined as full-fledged States under a new Constitution. "And so Paraguay is ours once again. But we have other problems to remedy, and to that I have begun to make solutions". Rosas sat at his desk and sealed a letter intended for the British ambassador.

"What is that, sir?"

"I find that the population of an island in British possession is in need of food and land to grow it on. So long as they can adapt, they share our church, so perhaps soon enough they will share our language. Apparently these 'Irish' are quite robust and loyal Catholics. So I invite them to settle down here at state expense. Also I am sending the Mapuche tribe an offer for statehood"

Alonso wondered why...savages...would qualify for a state of their own. "May I ask to what reason the Mapuche would join us? They can be quite brutal to those they dislike".

"Which is why I want then to join us, but with a looser association. There are very few people in Patagonia, and Chile is interested in expanding their lands as well. We need both to colonize the South and develop our economy. Stability is a blessing, looking to Brazil we can only imagine what our fate might have been were things here less organized or more volatile. But realize that the success we enjoy in the field drives our stability, and I mean to propagate that. To do so means to contain Chile and the Mapuche are perfect for that. Contain Chile to the Bio-Bio river and they are going to have to use war or other means to expand. That gives us a cause for war with an eye on taking the entire country, eventually. For now I seek to consolidate our recent gains in Cisplatina, Santa Catarina, Paraguay, and elsewhere"

Alonso understood quickly, but wondered how much the British or French would appreciate this upstart consolidating so much territory under one government. Time would tell, but Alonso himself hoped to sit at that desk one day and would play his cards carefully to do so. At least half a dozen men he could think of immediately shared the same dream...

"But Lord Russell, the famine continues unabated and the reported number of seed potatoes is insufficient to..."

"I said I will discuss the issue with Lord Palmerston immediately, now please leave me be" he told the young messenger. Palmerston was proving divisive but was not the sole source of in-fighting and Russell's own Whigs had promised a lot to return to power only last year.

"And send in Lord Palmerston on your way out!"

"John I see you are having quite the day, you scared the holy spirit out of the boy. What did he say to offend you so?"

"The Irish question, Henry, one I am trying hard to resolve. They are Irish, yes, and Disraeli's statements about our profound neglect of their people is unfortunately succinct. Yet grain is still being exported while the people starve".

"We have received a unique offer from a smaller country near our Falklands colony, sir. They have already been sending ships en masse to encourage population of their own lands across Europe, indeed in Ireland all they needed do was provide enough food for the trip, seed for a farm, and land to plant it on. No crops allowed on board, apparently they grow a lot of potatoes in South America and they have native varieties there which might suffer if precautions are not taken".

"Your point, Henry?"

"President Rosas of Argentina has offered to accept 100,000 Irish per year of famine if we agree to aid in paying their passage. They will provide land and seed, we provide transportation. Already we estimate they have taken in that many, perhaps more, in the last year". A means to alleviate the starvation and bring down food prices would be wonderful...

"Does the budget permit this and if not who else might help?"

"Bishops in Ireland are already raising funds to enable 'The Great Migration' as some call it while the Society of Friends is also lending some support. Most who depart are heading to the United States, this would take additional pressures off the island..."

"If the budget permits then assist them however possible. I do not wish it to be said we stood by and did nothing given the opportunity. Now tell me about this new war between Mexico and our former colonies..."

Rosas drew a line marking the newer frontiers of settlement in Patagonia. With the Mapuche now integrated as a state under significant autonomy but answering to Buenos Aires, Rosas now turned to settlement of the mountains immediately east of Chile and peppering the area farther south with colonies. The New Irish states, named for counties of Ireland, were demarcated along fertile but largely unsettled lands in the deeper south. Roads were being built but this was taking time, significant Irish settlement in Cisplatine, Corrientes, Santa Catarina, and Asuncion states also saw additional entrenchment of Argentinean claims. Bolivia remains the last province of the old Viceroyalty to attach, he thought to himself, then we begin the real chess game...

"They are here, Presidente...and they are enormous!"

The envoy ran back to the main port deck as onlookers gawked in the Port of Buenos Aires.

"And you are sure of the distance between the wheels, Mr. Norris?"

"Four feet, eight and a half inches - standard gauge for the United Kingdom and much of the United States".

"Then that shall be ours as well, construction is already underway on the first sets of tracks. They weigh 12 tons each, si?"

"Yes, your Excellency. Twelve tons each, capable of..."

"I am familiar with their capabilities, Mr. Norris, but needed your expertise to help our people learn more about them. Your position as Chief Professor at the University came through, by the way. Congratulations"

Octavius Norris part of the Norris Locomotive Works, the foremost locomotive engine company in the Western Hemisphere if not the world. Rosas had made a very surprising offer to his brothers/co-owners - he would buy fifty engines of varying states of repair, at least twenty being completely new, over a fifteen year period so long as experts came down to teach his people how they ran. A map showing the plans for the first railways in Argentina had already been made up using Irish and local labor to build them. Buenos Aires was to be the hub connecting five major trunk lines - the entirely new town of Tirnanoga via Bahia Blanca, Mendoza via Cordoba (frighteningly close to the Chilean border for Norris's taste), Asuncion via Santa Fe and Corrientes, Curitiba via Montevideo and Puerto Allegra, and finally a line from Cordoba branching northward to a small town called Santa Catarina. The whole thing would probably take fifteen if not twenty years to complete, but work on the Tirnanoga line was already close to La Plata and heading for Mar de la Plata, causing a furor of people curious to ride "Los caballos ferrocanos", or the Iron Horses.

These new 4-4-0 engines were only the first two of the promised engines, it was also known that Rosas was working to bring down engineers and steelmakers to attempt to diversify the economy as quickly as possible. Norris began wondering what sorts of plans this man had for Argentina if not South America as a whole but dared not say anything as he was a king in all but name.

"I hear the United States has occupied Mexico City and signed a peace treaty, Mr. Norris, is this true?"

"Yes your Excellency, a truce was signed about four months ago now"

"And the United States has gained much territory, yes?"

"Yes, your Excellency". The more Norris used it the less he cared to continue to do so. "The British and French are neatly camped in your bay, I see"

"Yes, they have been there for some time. And they are welcome to stay as long as they like, we are making due with what we have here you see. As you came in on an American ship you arrived unmolested, they are not likely to do that again once they see what you brought, but my order remains as before". Norris knew that Montevideo and even Curitiba could unload the massive steam locomotives but getting them to Buenos Aires would be harder...unless an internal railway network already existed...and Norris began to wonder exactly what power an ever-hungry UK and ambitious France might have over Argentina at that point...

"Espirita Santos is yours, my Empress, and her people welcome the return of your fair rule" stated her General. Pernambuco had been the center of her emerging Empire of Brazil but retaking what was already lost, especially in the southern parts of the country, would be difficult. Sao Paolo had declared independence but its "Commune" was already coming apart. Rio de Janiero was economically vibrant but markets were very limited, it was also quickly becoming a British satellite. France was claiming everything east of the Rio Branco and north of the Amazon, already four settler towns had been burned to the ground on Amapa Island and if they were not already dealing with the Argentineans they might turn north to cause further trouble.

"Excellent. Be gentle in our victory and encourage more to return to the fold. Pedro, govern the province as you would the rest of our Empire, and show me what you can do to rebuild and restore the people's faith in us".

Her son was merely thirteen but already showing prospects as a possibly great monarch. "Yes, my Empress".

"Joao, prepare a campaign to retake Rio de Janiero and then Amapa Island. We can worry about the farther-flung regions later. For now we need to consolidate and begin trying to build industry here as well. According to our treasury we should be able to begin planning a railway from Recife to Salvador and connecting many of the larger towns in between using local steel once the foundries start up. When is that expected, Mr. Rotono?"

Her finance minister was an Italian banker from Turin who spoke in a thick accent but was a magician with budgets and books. "We begin construction in about 12 months, it will take that long to get sufficient steel in place and survey the roadbed. The railway will be among the largest in the world once it is finished, my Empress".

"What news of the aftermath of rebellion in Europe and Argentina, Mr. Joao?"

"Argentina saw Corrientes province and Cisplatine province rebel again but Rosas has crushed them utterly. His execution of a pregnant woman not two years ago was cause for pause and earned him a reputation for villainy, but no one is left to challenge him within Argentinean borders. As for Europe, France may not be a monarchy for much longer - a nephew of Napoleon appears poised to take over. And we just received word that Britain and France have ended their blockade of the Rio Plata, my Empress". France was free to move again...

"Postpone the expedition for Rio de Janiero and prepare one for Amapa instead".

"My Empress if Rio de Janiero signs another treaty with the United Kingdom they might not be..."

"You heard me! We can focus on Rio later, it goes nowhere, but Amapa may be overrun if we do not act soon!"

"But you can not simply continue to expand without other powers taking notice, Ambassador. Uruguay was a rebellious province and Paraguay was recognized by many, but your blatant annexation of Chile will reap consequences". The concern on the face of Daniel Webster was profound for its clarity and its gravity.

"All we have done is intervene in a civil war, good sir. We are not annexing anyone at the moment". Bartolome Mitre was a rising star in the Argentinean political scene but had caused enough trouble to Rosas to decide he should be promoted and removed. Ambassadorship to the United States was very important and could serve to train the young man, isolation from his political compatriots might also serve to loosen the bonds and fracture the opposition. Or at least leave the opposition without a key supporter.

"Mr. Mitre, your country has achieved much in the last 20 years, the railway from Buenos Aires to the Andes was impressive and it seems your nation has laid more track than almost any other in the world, but blatant expansion will not be tolerated".

"Mr. Webster, if I may, right now we are not seeking to annex anyone. As it is the world is in a dreadful state, in the last five years there has been war almost every continent and even the United States is not immune - the annexation of Texas and California has been made clear to the world. Russia and Turkey are on the verge of creating another widespread conflict while the slavery issue here is divisive enough to cause trouble in the future. Europe has experienced how many rebellions in the last 5 years? And how many of the colonial peoples have fought their subjugators in the same last 5 years? We seek only to restore the country to the state and borders of the Viceroyalty it knew before independence and made that clear years ago".

"I had a question for your government about that. The Viceroyalty of La Plata was a recent creation of the Spanish Empire only a few decades before your nation's independence. Before that it was clearly part of the Viceroyalty of Peru. Mr. Rosas has made it clear he wants the Viceroyalty restored as an independent state but failed to say which Viceroyalty he was referring to". Webster pulled a book jutting off of the second-to-top shelf of the bookcase behind him. "Is he referring to La Plata? Peru? Or perhaps the original Tordesillas claim somehow?"

Mitre already asked that question before arriving and had found the answer unpalatable, it made his decision to come to the swampy Washington City much easier. Were the Americans to deduce the total of Argentine ambitions it would create a minor problem...

"You seem most interested in our new rifle-muskets, Mr. Guerrero" noted the Russian officer. Argentina had sent observers to the Crimean conflict on both sides with strict instructions to see what new technologies were available as well as how they worked. The newest rifle-muskets were certainly more accurate, moreso than the Argentine muskets the Army currently possessed, but when Presidente Rosas began asking how Argentine armies might fare against European powers...

"We take note of conflicts around the world, as any nation based on trade should, no?"

"But your people are not at war with anyone at the moment and control most of your continent. Certainly the Commune of Sao Paolo can not match you, the Republic of Rio de Janiero will not hope to match you, and the Empire of Brazil is in no position to move against anyone. Chile is all but yours as is the newest Bolivian government I think".

"Astute observations, Admiral Nakhimov, but their purpose eludes me. Yes, we are interested in current technologies and especially those affecting war. What can kill can also heal as Dr. Semmelweis shows in his journals".

"Your Jewish doctor may be bright but he is wrong by the count of almost every physician and scientist in this country. I find it fascinating that your nation is open to new ideas, even those from lunatics and madmen, but perhaps your faith is better placed in traditional methods and weapons".

"Irony at its finest, Admiral, and your gallantry not withstanding I will endeavor to watch more closely. Certainly we can agree that the machines of war can bring benefits in times of peace"?

"Certainly progress and innovation are worth monitoring, I do not disagree, but these newer things you have an eye on - iron-clad warships, rifle muskets, explosive ordinance, railway-based logistics, centralized supply depots, firing lines versus those of a square - all seem more based on offensive than defensive interests. Granted the railway has improved army logistics as could not be foreseen and your nation has made impressive leaps in the field, but I do not see how this would otherwise help your cause. Unless that cause involved further annexations like Chile".

"Chile is a free nation with its own parliament".

"A free parliament which surrendered claims or everything south of a given river amounting to over half the potential nation and two large provinces in the north, effectively surrounding itself by Argentina and permitting itself to be at best a satellite".

Observations and conjectures on the part of the Admiral were disturbingly insightful. Chile was only a satellite at this point, Rosas was waiting until the United Kingdom tired of war sufficiently before annexing it outright via the Parliament of Chile. Bolivia was reportedly going to vote itself into being made a state of Argentina, and supposedly Peru was next on the list. Sao Paolo was producing beef and Rio de Janiero the financial apparatus for much of the rest of South America with international ties to London, Paris, and Washington. So long as those remained those nations were safe.

"I also hear you are interested in acquiring Russian warships and have paid handsomely for some of our naval engineers. Why is that"?

"What the President does is not often known to me outside my narrow field. We are interested in better ships and larger ships, the proposal of a Nicaragua Canal means we may not be the best route of shipping forever and wish to be ready for a new era should that occur".

"And will you seek to control that territory when the time comes, Mr. Guerrero? When does it stop? I find your presence here...unnerving, shall we say. But I answer to the Tsar as you answer to Rosas".

"Are you suggesting my Presidente is a king, Admiral? That would be insulting at the least".

Admiral Nakhimov smiled. "I am only a sailor commanding a fleet, sir, not a politician, and not one to cause trouble, except to my enemies of course. I meant only that we answer to our leader, nothing more".

Guerrero knew he had let himself be flustered by the comment though he knew it was right. Rosas was setting his son up as a successor, his election and leadership of the Argentine Parliament was proof of that, but the insinuation that a king ruled over the nation was insulting at the least. Guerrero knew the comparison was accurate however, and the more he pondered it the angrier it made him.

"I read your report on the cholera outbreak in London, John Snow". The thickly accented Spanish coming from the German who immigrated to Buenos Aires only five years prior was still rough for anyone to hear. "They say you know nothing, John Snow, but I disagree. We see a pattern in your report, one that confirms my own work. Did you read the article I sent you"?

"Yes Dr. Semmelweis, you are proposing a new theory on disease transfer popularly called 'Germ theory' that details microscopic life as an agent of disease transfer".

"Correct, your cholera report will play into that nicely and publication will occur next week. I only tell you of this for the same reason I sent for you a few months ago".

"You still wish me to work here at the University"?

"Yes, I wish you to lead a new department for Public Health and begin promotion of sanitation on a larger scale. Your proposal regarding bread and rickets was especially fascinating, I am surprised you did not publish it earlier".

"Many claim my work is invalid and without merit, I wanted to buffer my case with more evidence first"

"I will publish it now if you like, the freedom of having one's own journal is to be able to publish what one wishes. You have still not responded to my offer".

"What would you have me do, Dr. Semmelweis? In England I would be ruined to return and my own thoughts on anesthesia alone took a decade to prove, then only in the United States. You offer me a chance to prove my theories - I accept".

Why he had to be dramatic and could not have just sent a letter months earlier was beyond Semmelweis, but regardless he needed to show his own theories were accurate and Snow was the man to do it. "Welcome to the faculty for the School of Medicine at the University of Buenos Aires".

The sounds of gunfire erupted at the Academy's Range, a.k.a. Experimental Weapons Area. Repeatedly the blasts came one after another, six in all, from the giant pistol in the sergeant's oversized palm.

"It works, Colonel. It works like a charm", noted the burly giant.

"Excellent. We had a difficult time acquiring the original, there were only a few hundred or so made and thankfully the Mexican government came by a few dozen during the war".

"What is it"?

"The original was called a Walker-Colt, a pistol capable of the force seen in a small rifle. Using some modifications, we were able to increase the powder charge and rifle the pistol round. The results are, well, as you see in the meat". Argentine cattle were a big business, the recent initiation of meat inspection meant that large sides of beef and pork were often available for target practice if they did not pass inspection.

"But colonel I thought we wanted to focus on creating a new rifle, not a new pistol. Besides, this pierna de cerdo is not going to do well with smaller officers or certainly smaller line soldiers".

"Which is why we have this", the large rifle being almost five feet long, "and now show me what you can do with it". When the sergeant pulled the trigger the kickback was much less than expected, especially as he was able to revolve the cylinder and load a fresh round into the rifle. The cylinder held the powder charge, a detonation cap, a rifled .50 bullet, and a locking lug to secure everything in place. Most astonishingly was the ability to consistently hit a target merely 8 inches across - at 300 yards.

"Astonishing Colonel, what is this new rifle you are testing?!"

"A cross between the American Sharps rifle and inspired by a new English design called the 'Whitworth' rifle. Octagonal rifling, large caliber weapon, etc. Mass production begins soon..."

Believe it or nor revolver rifles were a thing for a while as semi-automatic weapons evolved. The premise here is that Brazil shatters without Pedro II, who dies in his youth of TB just as his father did about the same time. Argentina benefits greatly, but what rises must also set, so some of you may know what to expect say about 1870.

"But my Emperor there is little chance the British will permit our invasion to go unanswered, the Republic has significant financial ties with them and gives them a large base from which to access the southern Atlantic".

Pedro V, Emperor of Portugal, Brazil, and the Algarves was pensive as he looked over the map. While the Commune of Sao Paolo was attracting slaves from North America who could make their way to the Florida Keys for pick-up by sympathetic British ships, the proposals he had made to Lord Palmerston's government were taxing. Rio de Janiero and its control of former central Brazil was a wealthy state that had known independence for a generation, but that wealth would be key if there were to be anything more for an Empire of Brazil than Recife, Salvador, and the surrounding countryside. "What word from London and Paris"?

"Napoleon is amenable to your proposals in exchange for Amapa and the extension of French Guiana to that line along with free transit rights along the Amazon River. Palmerston is agreeable so long as they are given favorable trade rights with the Empire along with naval bases at Rio de Janiero, Salvador, and Belem. An exclave of British control is to be established at Anajas Island until either a hundred years have passed or both governments permit return of the territory with no taxes on British imports for ten years".

Their proverbial pound of flesh was heavy indeed. Pedro reasoned that without Rio there was little to stop the ancient claims of Brazil from being removed by settlement of other nations. Argentina alone was making headway into much of southern Brazil while the Amazon jungle was still very much unsettled, ungoverned, and unconquered. Lines on maps would not dissuade ambitious dictators or hungry settlers, Pedro reasoned, and if we are to make good our claims we must act.

"Sign the agreement with Lord Palmerston's government and ensure we have our copy secured in the strongest vault available. Mato Grasso Du Sul may be lost to us, but Minas Gerais, Espiritu Santo, and Rio will be ours again. Our new railway will allow us to move troops there very quickly and if we move fast we should be able to take Belo Horizonte in short order. Our plan then is to drive the Republic forces to the coast and push hard against their line via Espiritu Santo. Am I clear, General"?

"Yes my Emperor, but the Republic has already caught wind of our plans and is reportedly asking for aid from King Charles of Iberia..."

"His traitorous father may burn in hell for all I care and if dares invade then damn him as well! It was his father's meddling that drove us out of Portugal and cost us so much of our Empire. Without Portugal his claims to Sardinia, Corsica, and the Two Sicilies would never have been taken seriously, much less contemplated in the post-war settlement of Crimea!" General Santos knew how infuriated Emperor Pedro was about King Charles V receiving Sicily because of the numerous rebellions there as well as legitimation of his claim to Corsica though it remained in French hands. Sardinia was not given but only because its ruler was savvy enough to parlay involvement in the Crimean war with need for "reliable rule" in the industrial part of northern Italy. Sardinian expansion made it likely that they would eventually unite the peninsula, but Spain still wanted her price for recognizing its rule until Charles V died and his son came to power.

"General, will you stand there like a lifeless statue or execute my commands? Get the army moving!"

The new flag of the Commune of Sao Paolo flew brightly over the central town square of Campinas with the words "Ordem e Progreso" written below a globe with two sickles crossed and a hammer in the middle. Its bright green, white, and red colors were not a tricolor of rectangular blocks as many of the flags at the time, instead the green enclosed a white diamond with a red globe in the center.

"Order and progress, just not here", lamented Manuel Sales. His family had done well in coffee, he himself had studied law and begun to aid in restructuring the Cause pro Lusitanian Populus, or Laws for the Lusitanian nation. The Commune realistically only controlled Sao Paolo, eastern Mato Grasso du Sul, (OTL Goias) and southwestern Minas Gerais but claimed control over much of South America, especially former Portugese Brazil. Its Board of Directors sounded as capitalist as it actually was, rationing resources for the masses and allowing itself far more luxuries than were supposedly acceptable.

"I am not sure, Manuel", noted Dr. Hercules Florence, "But what can we do? The Eyes of the People watch the streets and do not tolerate dissent. See what happened to the Spartacus movement with their crucifixion, or the United Empire movement advocating union with the Republic or Empire. The tales are still told about the fates of those men at the Palace of Justice".

"And each tale worse than the next", noted Sales. "What must be done? Our economy is in shambles, with all of the coffee production in state hands it is so inefficient..."

"Hey! What are you saying?!". The wiry individual holding a baton had been listening in and decided 'the cause' was somehow losing favor in these two. Sales noted the look in the eyes of the mousey man, this was a man who liked to cause pain but would probably be a coward in a straight-up fight. At twenty-one he still knew he would pick a fight easily, but not against these odds, not when his entire life lay ahead of him...and certainly not without a weapon of some kind.

"We were discussing the future and coffee, sir", noted Dr. Florence. "Why would we be so close to the flag if not as supporters of our Leader and his achievements? Certainly attendance of the new flag revelation is mandatory, as it should be, but we are almost at the pole". The watchman noted this, but decided that any disloyalty to the regime even in theory should not be tolerated.

Six days later Florence and Sales were seated in an office near the same town square. After cleaning them up following a severe beating for each of the first two nights, the provincial governor asked for their audience. As he shuffled through his paperwork he addressed them softly,

"So far the two of you are each charged with one count of traitorous intention, one count of fomenting dissent, one count of inappropriate criticism of the revolution, and Mr. Sales you have eight counts of growing coffee beyond permit of the state. I will dismiss the first two charges for each of you as they are not warranted...in my judgment", he paused and read the papers carefully, "but how should I address the other charges? Dr. Florence your academic reputation and development of photography entitles you to at least a forum before judgment and perhaps you win or perhaps you don't, but Mr. Flores your charges will be much harder to alleviate I think".

Sales knew what this meant. Either a *very* large bribe or service to the state somehow. In most cases it meant both, often the difference being whether chains and hard labor were involved. The governor continued, "You seem to think our coffee enterprises are inefficient, Mr. Sales? What leads you to that conclusion? And please remember that at this point you are in some significant trouble".

Sales launched a carefully worded discussion about each step in the process and where things were going wrong that he had seen. In each case he used flowery language but remained honest as what benefitted the State would probably benefit him too. The State used a novel system where each province had a corporation overseeing half a dozen crops with experienced farmers often heading up the sub-division of each crop, the problem was that the bureaucracy did not know where waste was or how to control it. Storage of beans, processing the crop, roasting the coffee, preparing it for shipping - each was seeing waste between 20 to 50% and costing the state that much more money.

"Mr. Sales, as you know so much about where we are doing things wrong, I find it your duty to fix them. Work for us and show results, you will find life easy. Weather and other factors beyond your control, we understand. Fail to meet quotas, or fail to keep up with expectations that you yourself espouse, and life becomes, shall we say, more difficult for you. Dr. Florence, you are a smart man, you are to aid Mr. Sales in his work. And Mr. Sales, your work on our body of law shall not be disturbed during this time. Your responsibilities to the State are not abrogated by your new duties, am I understood"?

Last edited:

"And what am I to do with you, Mr. Collins? The charges are very specific and very serious", leveled the Emperor to Captain Napoleon Collins of the United States Navy. Collins had commanded the USS Wachusett which had attacked the CSS Florida while the latter was at anchor in Bahia, the chief port of the Empire. Brazilian agents saved the Florida only to offer to repair the ship in port for a nominal fee, just enough from the stores of the vessel to pay for, and two of its new rifled cannons. Although its captain John Morris had agreed reluctantly to the terms, his real purpose of establishing trade relations and potentially a lifeline for Confederates seeking refuge from Union retribution remained thankfully secret. Captain Collins, however, had been captured on the premise that his actions were consistent with an act of war, something the ambassador fervently denied. This made Collins, in essence, either at best a privateer or at worst a pirate. "The penalty for piracy here is death in a most public and brutal fashion".

Collins realized that shortly after the Ambassador had sent a representative to fully apprise him of the situation. His situation was tenuous, if he made it out alive a simple court-martial would be a reprieve. While the raid had knocked out the Florida from operation for at least a month, maybe two, the rumor of a large stock of Confederate gold taken from New Orleans being moved here for safekeeping was too tempting to ignore. "I am aware of the..."

A large ham-fist knocked Collins square in the jaw and he spit two teeth out. "First is Em-per-or, Sir, please, Cap-I-tan", came words from the grunt's mouth. His breath alone was worthy of being called a weapon, thought Collins, and if it were not for being tied to the chair in the room with five of the Imperial Guard in place...

"Please do not damage him too much, Enrique, in case he is not lying we want him in good shape for the return voyage. And if he is lying or not directly acknowledged by his people then I will be happy to turn him over to you and your people". Enrique clearly liked that idea, and it showed in ways Collins would rather not have noticed.

"I am taking your ship, Mr. Collins, and your government is aware of this. What I want to know is why you began attacking my port".

"Sir, I...", and came another fist, this one to the lower part of his jaw. The force behind this one was lessened, but it would still hurt like hell for a few days. "Emperor, sir, please, I did not attack your port".

"You opened direct fire on one of my ports and attacked a vessel while it was in place there. Why"?

"Emperor, sir, please, I want to speak to my ambassador or a representative of my government before answering any more questions".

"As you wish, Mr. Collins. Enrique, take care of him for now, feed him well along with his crew and do not directly harm those still alive...yet".

"What do you mean 'those still'...", another fist interrupting the sentence this time on the other side of his face.

"Seven of your crew shot at my soldiers, Mr. Collins. Thankfully they are poor shots, only two were injured and one dead. Not the work of professionals I should think, another reason to suspect you are not what you claim to be. Those seven are now dead, killed as hostiles during the battle in my port. Good-bye, Mr. Collins".

As Enrique dragged the man away Pedro stared out the window into Bahia proper. Certainly the actions warranted more than diplomatic reprimands, and Pedro had every intention of keeping the Wachusett for himself if at all possible.

"Emperor, we have been through the papers in the captain's safe, they appear legitimate as far as we can tell. Washington is not going to like this".

Pedro turned to his foreign minister with one eye cocked slightly. "And why should I care what they think? Their populace is war-weary, their Civil War is winding down, and in three months when we finish tearing the two ships apart and studying everything we can then maybe we are nice and give them back. I am sure London and Paris would love to hear more about this, but I will minimize the damage in exchange for some courtesies from the North Americans. Speaking of which, what word from Ambassador Lazar"?

"He says the man who proposes aid is crazy, but brilliant. This 'Bismarck' has as much grievance with the French as we do, but is not specific about what he intends. I think he is dangerous my Emperor, we are risking much if we stay the course with him".

"We need allies. France has taken Amapa, I intend to retake it and extract interest. They need to be driven from the continent! Besides, with Rio still out of our grasp, we must modernize and begin plans for rebuilding our Empire". First Amapa, then the Colonies, then Portugal itself, then with a fleet and modern military would come the big fight - Argentina. She would pay heavily for her incursions and seizure of territory, and Pedro had every intention to take not only the former Brazilian territories but also Paraguay, Uruguay/Cisplatina, Corrientes, and Entre Rios. Chile and Bolivia would be restored as loyal regimes and after that...well, if the British could control and entire continent maybe he could too..."Did the American ship have any of the new rifles aboard"?

"Yes, my Emperor, we have eight of the Spencer rifles and we have approximately four hundred bullets for each. In addition, we have two Henry rifles and about one hundred bullets for them".

"Excellent, get them to the University immediately for study. The ammunition is not to be used in quantity until it can be reliably reproduced, tell the Minister or Armaments to make study and investigation a priority. We must be able to reproduce the qualities of both into a new weapon, one that is not simply a blatant copy of American technology. Do we also have one of the newer Argentinean rifles"?

"Yes, my Emperor, and they look...strange. They look like hunting weapons and ours is literally five feet long, although a newer shorter one is also noted. I think what we have is a parade model, though it functions".

"Their solution crosses a ten-round revolver with a rifle and allows for rapid change of the entire revolver, yes"?

"Yes, my Emperor. And their ammunition is almost a copy of the bullets used for the American rifle loaded from the stock, a 'Spencer', I think it is called".

Pedro smiled faintly. At twenty-seven he ruled a fraction of his birthright, stolen by his family and neighbors. One man in the right place and time can change the world, he thought to himself, and with luck perhaps I will rule Portugal, Brazil, and the Algarves in fact as well as title.

"So Bolivia is now part of Argentina's orbit as well, you say", inquired the man in the black suit.

"Yes, Mr. President. The annexation was voted through about 3 weeks ago, our agents in Rio de Janiero, Lima, and Recife confirm the message. With Chile's vote of incorporation, Argentina dominates about one-third of the South American continent". William Seward was seated with a folder in his hand and gave President Andrew Johnson a copy of a new railroad map for the Republic of Argentina.

"And their existing rail network now connects Santiago with Buenos Aires along with Sao Paolo and eight of their largest ten cities"?

"The Plata river divides the country but there is already plans for a bridge at the Uruguay river to build a direct rail link between Santa Fe, here", Seward pointed near the center of the map, "to connect to the existing the rail link between Porto Alegre and Montevideo. That would allow travel by train from anywhere between Sao Paolo and soon Rio de Janiero to just about any city south of there with a population above 50,000".

Johnson remembered the use of railroads and their outcome in the recent war, known the internal transportation network would be invaluable for any sort of modern conflict. He also knew Brazil was increasing production of its navy and working on some sort of new rifle. While the new Winchester model had solved some of the problems with the Henry Rifle the example of an Argentinian "revolver-rifle" holding a ten-shot load were certainly interesting. Brazil, by contrast, had begun using a larger version of the Henry with much more powerful bullets. "How much do we think Emperor Pedro learned from taking apart our ship"?

"Plenty, we know they are manufacturing a seaworthy steam engine at least fifteen years ahead of what we thought they were capable of this time two years ago. We have also learned that they are building half a dozen new large cruisers capable of ocean-going travel. Interestingly the North German Confederation seems to be talking to them quite a bit these days, the recent Napoleonic incursions into 'Brazilian Guiana' are a blatant land grab. Brazil is also still eyeing Portugal itself, the recent landing of troops in Angola has not gone well for King Juan III of Iberia, the colony has pledged loyalty to the Empire of Brazil and become the first true colony of a non-European power".

"And you said earlier that Emperor Pedro still toys with invading Lisbon at some point"?

"Yes Mr. President, but he also seeks to regain all 'Brazilian territory stolen by interlopers, Communists, and the damn Argentineans' according to the annual address he gave to the Council of Citizens last year. Presidente Rosas certainly took notice, but then the man seems to take notice of many things".

"Has he designated a successor yet? He must be in his late 60s now".

"Sixty-three and not slowing down one bit. His son seems to be his successor, but he may be moving to have his grandson and namesake take over under the tutelage of his daughter Manuela. The grandson has already distinguished himself in provincial combat during the October Revolution and now manages the so-called 'Internet'. Apparently it does quite well there".

"What do you mean by, 'Internet', Mr. Seward"?

"That is what the Argentineans call their telegraph and railway company, the Interprovincial Communication and Transportation Network, or 'Internet'. Apparently the name derives from a fishing net or something".

"So their railway and telegraph system is entirely state run"?

"So-called trunk lines are, and anything connecting major points of military interest is also state-controlled. Those lines are easy to identify as they are always at least double-track layout and run to former national capitals along with defensive industrial sites. With the recent and growing expatriate Jewish population from eastern Europe along with influx of births and survivals, there are also calls to expand the networks out to the farmlands. Rosas permits this though charges a tax on any railway he does not directly control. The company is very profitable and run very efficiently, almost as much as the Sao Paolo Coffee Consortium". Johnson nodded his head, though he was not sure if that was the one admired for its output or reported lack of waste, or both. Either way...

"If the Empire of Brazil should get control of the Republic of Rio and Sao Paolo, what are the chances Recife and Buenos Aires come to blows? And if so what should we be ready for"?

Seward chose his words carefully. "That would be very bad for everyone. Argentina is a growing exporter of food for Europe while Brazil is becoming a leader in certain niche manufacturing areas. An Argentina that could take Sao Paolo, or in the worst case Rio as well, would have little to stop it from gobbling up the rest of South America eventually. A continent-state with those sorts of resources would have only one logical enemy left in the hemisphere to look at - us. And make no mistake, the navies of the Empire of Brazil and Republic of Argentina are quickly coming into their own. If we are not careful they could pose a direct threat".

"Do you seriously think they would be able to field a large enough expedition here to cause problems, or at least anything more than a raid"?

"Mr. President, did you think this time last year that Angola would have seen a fleet be able to dispatch thousands of soldiers across an ocean and land troops in Luanda successfully"?

Johnson thought about that. He also considered that even if the soldiers landed they could not do much damage, but if there was not American army nearby to defeat the invaders and the locals took it as a sign of inability or insufficient effort to defend them...especially in a place like California or Washington State where there was no rail connection to the rest of the country...

"You should also know that the Argentineans are inquiring about Russia's province in Alaska, Mr. President".

"What in the name of the Almighty would they want with it?!"

"Rosas has said that every strong nation needs colonies, his treaty with Japan was far more favorable to Tokyo than anyone else's has been and gave him significant support in that government, enough to begin negotiations for a naval base and trading port in a town called Kitakyushu. He has also signed a similar deal with the Kingdom of Hawai'i and been given access to the port on their main island".

If Argentina were able to base troops in the Pacific and colonize far-flung areas of the globe they would be able to land troops almost anywhere in the Pacific, including the West Coast of the United States. Johnson winced carefully but painfully, he knew his own troubles with the Freeman's Bureau and fights to restore the United States were going to take a lot of time and energy but this deserved attention.

"Call Generals Grant and Sherman see if they can formulate a set of three contingency plans. One for an attack on San Francisco, one for an attack on Portland, and one for an attack on Los Angeles. Make sure we have *some* plan in case it happens, but right now I do not see it happening in the immediate future. And watch the Brazilians and Argentineans with interest, I want to have more details about their capabilities if we are looking at a fight with either".

"Thank you, Mr. President".

"Tell me more about this machine, Mr. Estarriol", asked Emperor Pedro of Brazil. He had offered this engineer a chance to further his research into underwater exploration, especially as it offered a chance to exploit key weaknesses in naval tactics that would not easily be overcome.

"Well my Emperor, first thank you for saving my ship from the creditor who took it and paying the tax needed to liberate her. Second, this machine is a 'submarine' using a new type of engine to push through the water".

"Fascinating in its entirety, but an underwater vessel should need an engine that needs air, how do the men aboard breathe"?

"That is the beauty, my Emperor, the engine uses certain chemicals that produce heat to drive a steam engine but release oxygen as a by-product. There is a second engine aboard that uses more traditional methods to drive surface propulsion at greater speeds".

"And what are those top speeds, Mr. Estarriol"?

"Thanks to your generous benefits I have pushed the top speed to seven knots on the surface and 5 knots below the surface with a test depth of thirty meters and underwater duration of ten hours achieved so far. Your chemists and engineers have proved a boon to my work".

"They also report you are designing a new vessel as a follow-on to this one".

"Yes my Emperor, I call it the Ictineo III, it will be fifty percent larger and hold research equipment on the outside via a pair of stubby 'wings' that can also use fins for greater maneuvering. Your chemists have been aiding me greatly in developing a series of new propulsive agents, and we have accidentally found some interesting things as a result".

"The Chemical Light among them".

"Yes my Emperor, by trying to use oxalic acid and phenol as new agents we created a new semi-solid fuel that was accidentally put in contact with hydrogen peroxide. The resulting green light lasted several hours". Even by accident the project had already yielded some benefit. "We placed the different chemicals into paired tubes, the process is actually inexpensive to recreate and the resulting 'Glow Sticks' produce a bright green light for up to eight hours".

Incredible, the Emperor thought to himself, perhaps the chemistry industry had more uses than simple dyes and explosives. "You said there were other discoveries"?

"Yes my Emperor, the combination of lead-acid batteries in quantity means a more traditional engine can be used to charge power to the batteries which can then be used underwater. The design would have to be modified and the resulting ship would need a crew of thirty to thirty-five, but with the proper coal capacity and some more research into the engine speeds of twelve knots above and ten knots below water should be feasible". Estarriol knew that was pushing it, but then he knew the project had to sound phenomenal to make the concept sound viable.

Pedro had heard about the new Whitehead Torpedo from the Navy officers at his palace and began to wonder if the two might not be combined somehow. Using the wings of the new proposed submarine it might be possible to store four, six, perhaps eight torpedoes. Pedro also knew that the Spanish and Portuguese navies would present a challenge when he would land troops in Iberia to reclaim the peninsula. He had decided to try for Portugal itself but from his mother he also had a claim on the throne of Spain, why not use that as leverage against the loathed Juan III when the time came? "Build your bigger ship Mr. Estarriol but realize that the engines and designs should continue to be improved. Your project is not inexpensive and I wish to see results - sooner rather than later". Pedro also knew that were he able to sink the Iberian fleet the other naval powers of the world would take immediate notice, starting with the United Kingdom.

"What do these batteries power, Mr. Estarriol"?

"My Emperor we have built and improved on the designs of an electric motor discontinued in the United States as there was no market for it at the time. Two of these motors would be installed on this vessel for a total output of 110 kW, or about 150 horsepower".

"Continue your work, Mr. Estarriol, and keep me apprised. I am most interested to see where this work takes you".

"So the new Brazilian rifles work that well, Feld-Marshal?"

"Yes, their performance at Sedan was most impressive. Their new 12.5mm ammunition is entirely contained in a metallic case making it much easier to use in the field. Also their use of the 'cylinder slide' under the barrel allows for five extra cylinders to be safely stored. Using the 'key-screw' behind the hammer the entire cylinder is removed and a new one placed in the slot, the 'key screw' is returned, wound into place three times, and another eight rounds are available. The ammunition is entirely safe in the confines of the rifle and cylinders although a fully-loaded rifle with spare ammunition is heavy and cumbersome. Soldiers tend to compensate by taking only three additional cylinders into battle, the total weight then becomes about seven kilograms".

Otto von Bismarck nodded approvingly in his office, both because he planned for the metric system to become the standard in the new German Empire and because this new Brazilian weapon could prove devastating with some German ingenuity. "Seven kilograms is still a lot to lug around in the heat, Feld-Marshal".

"Yes", noted von Roon, "But when they are able to fire those eight bullets in rapid succession the power and adrenaline take over. The use of a shoulder sling was noted by some of our troops and according to reports a few even took pistol handles and added them next to the trigger to surprising effect".

Bismarck continued to look on in astonishment. The example in front of him was industrial war at its pinnacle. An entirely metallic cartridge as pioneered by the Americans shortly after their recent civil war combining the existing technology of a revolver with the chance to mass-manufacture cylinders as replacements. Already Brazil was rumored to be working with a newer model that used ten rounds of a slightly lighter cartridge, but the power behind this round was already astonishing. A trio of particularly talented marksman had already hit head-sized targets at 1000m on a specially-arranged demonstration after soldiers were consistently hitting targets at 500m with practice.

"And it fires how quickly once reloaded"?

"Once the attaché demonstrated the reloading mechanism and a soldier has time to get used to it, the entire cylinder can be emptied in less than six seconds. Reloading takes about the same time in skilled hands if not under fire; again all that is needed is to take out the center screw, replace the cylinder, and make sure the revolving action is lined correctly to the grooves in the rifle itself by listening for a 'tap-click' before reinsertion. That amounts to about forty rounds per minute for a trained soldier, though we have reports of over fifty rounds a minute in the field".

Bismarck remained awe-struck. The firepower this could bring to bear if brought to production fast enough would be...inspiring. "And Mauser already says they have improvements for the design"?

Von Roon nodded his head slowly. "They propose a fixed cylinder using eight rounds with dummy cylinders for reloading. We believe the newer Brazilian model will use this as well but again with ten rounds of slightly less powerful ammunition. Per the 'agreement' you reached with Emperor Pedro the Brazilians have already taken Amapa Island and at last word a force had landed at Cayenne to siege the garrison there. Interestingly the Brazilians have also decided to bring their influence to Madagascar and have built a base on the northern end of the island. Interestingly they have negotiated for it instead of taking it, offering technical aid to the locals in exchange for resources".

"Unusually lenient policy, why not simply take what they want and keep going"?

"Brazil is a nation on the rise, as is its neighbor Argentina with whom it seeks to compete for resources. This may be a first step towards a global series of bases for naval outreach, but as they have also earned the loyalty of the Portuguese colonists at Mozambique, Lorenco Marques, and have killed a man the locals named 'Tippu Tib' for the sounds of his guns. This has earned the Brazilians a great deal of political capital with the natives near Zanzibar, the new Sultan is already having to put down riots calling for the end of slavery there and we wonder if the whole area might become a Brazilian satellite of some sort".

Bismarck had no taste for colonies but he thought to himself, after this war we had best begin looking for places to call our own should the public desire it. If we do not do so soon a scramble for Africa might result that leaves us without a chance to do so again.