Queen Augusta of England

Princess Augusta Frederica of Great Britain (1737-1813) was the elder sibling of George III.
They were the children of Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales and Augusta, the Princess of Wales.
Suppose Augusta Frederica and George were the only children of Frederick Louis.
Frederick Louis dies in 1751. Suppose his son Prince George (George III) also dies in 1751.
King George II dies in 1760.
He is succeeded by his granddaughter as Queen Augusta. What happens then?

Duke Carl William of Brunswick.
OTL, her daughter, Princess Caroline marries George IV.

Would they really marry the heir to a foreign head of state though? The POD was before her marriage in OTL so idk why it would be the same person. Surely a Queen can get a better match.

Maybe she could marry one of the sons of King Frederick William I of Prussia? If not his heir, Frederick the Great (who, born in 1712 was probably too old for her), then there were:
Augustus William (born 1722)
Heinrich (born 1726)
August Ferdinand (born 1730)

How would Queen Augusta I, deal with:
- Seven Year War?
- Is there an American Revolution?

Does this also mean that the Kingdom of Hanover goes to her uncle, Prince William, Duke of Cumberland?

What about her marrying William I, Elector of Hesse, a cousin by her aunt, Princess Mary. That way, if here uncle stays childless, William can merge the electorates together and have the ruling house of Hesse-Hanover

Augusta may marry Duke Louis of Mecklernburg-Schwerin.

Augusta may marry Charles Alexander, Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach.
His mother, Margravine Friederike Luise, was a daughter of Frederick William I of Prussia.

Suppose Queen Augusta marries William I, Elector of Hesse.
Their children:
Prince Frederick born 1762 He is the heir to the English throne.
His twin brother, Prince Maurice born 1762 He is the heir to Hesse-Kassel.
Princess Mary born 1764
Princess Agnes born 1766
Prince George born 1768

Suppose Queen Augusta marries William I, Elector of Hesse.
Their children:
Prince Frederick born 1762 He is the heir to the English throne.
His twin brother, Prince Maurice born 1762 He is the heir to Hesse-Kassel.
Princess Mary born 1764
Princess Agnes born 1766
Prince George born 1768

Just to continue what Servaics argued against her OTL marriage to the Duke of Brunswick, would it really be a good idea to marry the Queen of England to a German Head of State? However, the suggestion of William of Hesse is an interesting one.

Just to continue what Servaics argued against her OTL marriage to the Duke of Brunswick, would it really be a good idea to marry the Queen of England to a German Head of State? However, the suggestion of William of Hesse is an interesting one.

A German alliance is really the only way to keep the Hanoverian Kingdom, in her family and strengthen her reign.

A French, Spanish or Austrian Prince is out of the question due to religion. While Netherland, Denmark or Sweden, will not strenghten her reign and would come with more problems then solutions.

A German alliance is really the only way to keep the Hanoverian Kingdom, in her family and strengthen her reign.

A French, Spanish or Austrian Prince is out of the question due to religion. While Netherland, Denmark or Sweden, will not strenghten her reign and would come with more problems then solutions.

Given that Victoria was not allowed to inherit Hannover, I wouldn't have thought that Augusta would have been allowed to get Hannover either. How about an alliance with the Prussians, by marrying Augusta to Prince Henry? He married Wilhelmina of Hesse-Kassel OTL, but I'm sure he would pick the English Queen over a German Princess. Then you can put the Hohenzollerns on the English throne and Britain has a close bond with Prussia.

There's no real way to overcome the male-only inheritance of Hanover, so William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, would become Duke and Elector of Brunswick und Lüneburg, as Wilhem II August. In our timeline he never married, being a soldier and never having expected to inherit. Here, with the expectation that he will inherit, he presumably marries a German 'princess' of some description: it's incredibly unlikely he'll marry his niece, Augusta. So that means that the union with Hanover is over, and Parliament will be happy to be shot of it.

BTW: For a timeline where George II dies without issue, check out my timeline in my signature![/shamelessplug]

There's no real way to overcome the male-only inheritance of Hanover, so William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, would become Duke and Elector of Brunswick und Lüneburg, as Wilhem II August. In our timeline he never married, being a soldier and never having expected to inherit. Here, with the expectation that he will inherit, he presumably marries a German 'princess' of some description: it's incredibly unlikely he'll marry his niece, Augusta. So that means that the union with Hanover is over, and Parliament will be happy to be shot of it.

BTW: For a timeline where George II dies without issue, check out my timeline in my signature![/shamelessplug]

If William Augustus died with no sons, who would inherit Hanover? There were no males left in the Sophia line, that I can find.

Merely out of curiosity, how does England handle that three of Augusta's sons OTL were invalid/imbeciles? Her second son, Georg, was excluded from the succession because of his...ahem difficulties, as was her fourth. The eldest was nearly blind with his own infirmities. Was there something wrong with Augusta's genetics that caused her this misfortune or was it simply her husband? Thoughts?