AHC: More Colonial Powers

Mercenarius

Banned
What PODs would have more nations join, or remain (in the case of Denmark and Sweden), in the colonial race by 1840s?

While people only think of the big ones in reality almost all of Europe was in the colonial game at one point or another, I mean the only ones (excluding long-term landlocked countries) that could've that did'nt were Austria-Hungary (which actually did try once, but abandoned the effort for various reasons) and Russia.

If you mean non-European powers as well, then you need a very far back PoD for all but three (the U.S., Mexico and Brazil).

Delta Force

Banned
While people only think of the big ones in reality almost all of Europe was in the colonial game at one point or another, I mean the only ones (excluding long-term landlocked countries) that could've that did'nt were Austria-Hungary (which actually did try once, but abandoned the effort for various reasons) and Russia.

Bosnia and Herzegovina was something of a colony for Austria-Hungary, being a condominium of the Austrian and Hungarian halves of the Empire.

Russia did though; its conquests just happened to span Central Asia rather than Africa.

I don't really consider Russia's expansion into Siberia, the U.S.'s expansion West or Argentina's expansion into Patagonia as colonialism since the point of all of those was to directly incorporate contiguous territories into the Metropole; colonialism in the sense of what Western Europe did was a different thi8ng altogether.

Like its been said, most of the possible nations that had the resources did some form of colonialism at one point or another. But some of the non-players(Denmark and Sweden like you mentioned) definitely have room to be in a more influential position. But even then it would be limited. The non-players in the colonial race were non-players for a reason. Even if you change the policies of say Denmark to be more colonial driven, they wont be able to compete with the British or Spain beyond a certain extent due to their tiny population and lack of resources.

U.S David

Banned
Have America annex Liberia as a Slave Colony. Then annex some Central American States. Maybe William Walker? These will be colonies. Some say the US might have annexed Central America OTL had ww1 not distracted them.

Hell, the US did send troops to fight the Boxer Rebbelion in China. Maybe the great powers agree to divide up China, with the US getting a picece.

Then have France go communist after ww1. The US takes French-Indo China.

I just made the US a major colonial power.

Brazil is harder. Maybe Portugal goes communist. The Goverment flees to Brazil, and Brazil takes the African Portugese terrtoirty.

What to ya'll think?

Have America annex Liberia as a Slave Colony. Then annex some Central American States. Maybe William Walker? These will be colonies. Some say the US might have annexed Central America OTL had ww1 not distracted them.

Hell, the US did send troops to fight the Boxer Rebellion in China. Maybe the great powers agree to divide up China, with the US getting a piece.

Brazil is harder. Maybe Portugal goes communist. The Government flees to Brazil, and Brazil takes the African Portugese territory.

What to ya'll think?

Yeah, no. I reallydoubt the Vietnamese are gonna be 'k' with the Americans coming in and being like OKAY WE OWN THIS PLACE NOW THAT THE FRENCH ARE GONE.' Sure they could gun them down and what have you but I really don't think the public would be up for sending boys to the meat grinder to hold Indochina down and I think Brazil would face a lot of condemnation if they tried to conquer Mozambique and Angola and the other colony that I can't recall at the moment.

There was an Italian attempt to get New Guinea in 1870 an an Austro-Hungarian Consul even became Rajah of North Borneo for a few years from 1879-1882. Unfortunately, outside powers intervening (in the former) and disinterest at home (in the latter) canned both projects.

Hell, the US did send troops to fight the Boxer Rebbelion in China. Maybe the great powers agree to divide up China, with the US getting a picece.

Brazil is harder. Maybe Portugal goes communist. The Goverment flees to Brazil, and Brazil takes the African Portugese terrtoirty.

What to ya'll think?

Have the movement to move the slaves to Africa stay and grow eventually happening. Liberia was only the beginning.

I don't really consider Russia's expansion into Siberia, the U.S.'s expansion West or Argentina's expansion into Patagonia as colonialism since the point of all of those was to directly incorporate contiguous territories into the Metropole; colonialism in the sense of what Western Europe did was a different thi8ng altogether.
But Badshah talked about Russian expansion into Central Asia (& although not mentioned by him/her, the expansion into Caucasus, present-day Ukraine & Finland and Baltic can be chalked in there too) and not Siberia.

Russia had a few attempts at overseas expansions, most notably Alaska, but also in California, Hawaii, Dalian and Tianjin in China, Djibouti, and the Ionian Islands of Greece.

Not quite. The only real difference is that Western European expansion was mainly maritime (France to this day considers it's overseas territories to be part of the Metropole). The results were exactly the same. Conquest and/or annexation of foreign lands in order to gain control of said lands resources. Makes no difference if you sail or march in order to do so, just ask the people who were already living there.
Europeans did nothing in their colonial expansion that had not been done by others. Persia expanded, China expanded, as did Mongolia, Egypt, Assyria, Burma, Thailand, the Aztecs, the Incas and the United States. Calling them Territories, rather than Colonies, doesn't alter the fact that they are/were colonies.

well if England had been more helpful, Scotland's colonies in South America might not have fallen to the Spanish.

Scotland did'nt have any colonies in South America, the closest one, the failed Darien Scheme, was in Panama, all of Scotland's other colonial ventures were in North America, mostly in the North East, though some in the South East as well (though these were more autonomous parts of English colonies).

Not quite. The only real difference is that Western European expansion was mainly maritime (France to this day considers it's overseas territories to be part of the Metropole).

While the Overseas areas of France are considered part of the Metropole today, they were'nt originally, though France is really the only European colonial power that could be compared since it did actually attempt to integrate its colonies as part of the Metropole.

The results were exactly the same. Conquest and/or annexation of foreign lands in order to gain control of said lands resources. Makes no difference if you sail or march in order to do so, just ask the people who were already living there.
Europeans did nothing in their colonial expansion that had not been done by others. Persia expanded, China expanded, as did Mongolia, Egypt, Assyria, Burma, Thailand, the Aztecs, the Incas and the United States. Calling them Territories, rather than Colonies, doesn't alter the fact that they are/were colonies.

There is a very substantial difference; the European colonies were established not to expand the land area, but as a mixture of economic exploitation and strategic need; in the U.S. expansion was done to incorporate new lands as direct and equal parts of the country and exploitation in them would be no different than it was in the traditional Metropole.

That's the one I was referring to.

Panama is part of North America, specifically the Central America region, it's no more South American than Sicily is African.

Incidentally, Panama did not 'fall to the Spanish', the Darien Scheme was a complete and total disaster, trying to establish a colony in an area that was not conductive to Europeans in the first place but also establishing one that had zero economic potential and worst of all in an area that had long been established as Spanish territory.

What PODs would have more nations join, or remain (in the case of Denmark and Sweden), in the colonial race by 1840s?

Dutchy of Courland maintain it´s independence during and after the Thirty Year war and also manages to hold it´s colonial Empire in Tobago etc.