AHC: Highly developed Central America

AsGryffynn

Banned
With a POD no earlier than 1905, have Central America, by the time most of Western Europe has developed, be as developed as they are.

Very difficult. Countries of Central America were almost like colonies of United States. Real power was on hands of American corporations which caused much social stagnation and corruption. But you can make them better if you somehow avoid civil wars of the countries.

Keep Gan Colombia and change it so after the Independence Wars, the states of Central America are included. That's your best chance.

The USCA was a nice idea, but ultimately flawed. Corruption, too much power with the elite and disproportionate representation was always going to tear it apart. Some problem that Mexico had.

If you were to get a Constitution that was backed by all sides then it would be up for a better chance.

Keep Gan Colombia and change it so after the Independence Wars, the states of Central America are included. That's your best chance.

The USCA was a nice idea, but ultimately flawed. Corruption, too much power with the elite and disproportionate representation was always going to tear it apart. Some problem that Mexico had.

If you were to get a Constitution that was backed by all sides then it would be up for a better chance.

POD should be on 1905 or later.

I don't know much of Costa Rican history. How have they succeeded where most of the other countries in region have struggled with their democracies?

Quite well. They were, ASAIK, the only stable country in Central America for quite a while. Could have a bit to do with the fact that they abolished their army in 1949.

AsGryffynn

Banned
Wouldn't Costa Rica have a shot?

It certainly would, and it baffles me that they're so underdeveloped given the time they've had. Panama was developed until the US Invasion and Nicaragua was developed until the Managua Earthquake. Averting these or helping them (Nicaragua) and adjusting whatever needs adjusting in Costa Rica would easily yield three developed countries, but I've got no idea how to start in Honduras. I don't think abolishing military forces in either country is beyond the question, but we still need to find a way to develop those.

My main idea was Arbenz disbanding the military in Guatemala and feigning support for the elites until they're disarmed before starting land reform. No idea what to do with El Salvador and Nicaragua though.

In theory, El Salvador should be able to develop if the market reforms it used were started much earlier and it managed to procure some aid from the Alliance for Progress. If it can amp it's infrastructure well enough, it might grow just like Germany.

I don't know much of Costa Rican history. How have they succeeded where most of the other countries in region have struggled with their democracies?

Yes, since they disbanded their military, they've had far more stability than South Korea and even Spain, yet they were outdone on this, probably because of the numerous environmental handicaps they've placed upon themselves.

This shouldn't be impossible if there's a way to make the US aware of how problematic this is, curtail American influence, or make it a source of revenue like Panama and Nicaragua.

With a POD no earlier than 1905, have Central America, by the time most of Western Europe has developed, be as developed as they are.

??? "by the time most of Western Europe has developed" ??
Ummm... That had already happened by 1905. It had already happened by 1505, that's why Western Europe ran riot over the global, subjugating locals.

So. What DO you mean?

AsGryffynn

Banned
??? "by the time most of Western Europe has developed" ??
Ummm... That had already happened by 1905. It had already happened by 1505, that's why Western Europe ran riot over the global, subjugating locals.

So. What DO you mean?

As in "developed as per IMF" which means from 1987 and onwards.