Make the Roman Empire last to 2014

Sulemain

Banned
I would argue that, all things considered, this is literally impossible, or, at the very least, we're looking at a Byzantine situation where by the "Roman" contracts to a much more manageable and defensible size.

The title says it all. Make the Roman Empire last to this day

Just saying, depending on the POD the BC-AD numerating system might not exist. Same with the wide spread use of Arabic numerals. :p

It's not your fault. Butterflies die whenever Rome is mentioned as surviving past a certain time.

Greece retains its Rhomanion identity and calls itself Rome after the Greek people break away from the Ottman Empire.

Other than that, I got nothing.

Do Second or Third (or even Fourth) Romes count?

Because the Ottoman Empire can be defined as a Third Rome, and extending its life another century seems plausible (keep it out of WWI, and turn it into an oil-funded regional power that persists to this day).

U.S David

Banned
No, I mean first Rome. It's capital must be the city of Rome and must at least control mordern day....

-Italy
-Spain
-Portugul
-France
-Greece
-Egypt
-Cathage
- Turkey
- England
-North Africa
-Syria
-Jordon
-Palestine
-Israel
- Yulglisvia
-Bulgria
More would be great

I always expected a surviving Rome to expand into Ethopia, Arabia, Ireland, Germany, and India.

You can get Rome surviving as sort of a Western Bizantine Empire ruled by a barbarian dynasty, or HRE-like: Just in the papers.

No, I mean first Rome. It's capital must be the city of Rome and must at least control mordern day....

-Italy
-Spain
-Portugul
-France
-Greece
-Egypt
-Cathage
- Turkey
- England
-North Africa
-Syria
-Jordon
-Palestine
-Israel
- Yulglisvia
-Bulgria
More would be great

I always expected a surviving Rome to expand into Ethopia, Arabia, Ireland, Germany, and India.

Nope Nope Nope, Imposible. Atleast not a Rome that big.

Sulemain

Banned
No, I want the Rome of Caesar, Augustus, and Octavian

No HRE, Byzantines, Turks, or Russians

I would argue that technologically, politicly, socially and economically, that is utterly unsustainable until the present day, and that considering the time period the Empire came under the greatest amount of stress, no brilliance could save it.

U.S David

Banned
I would argue that technologically, politicly, socially and economically, that is utterly unsustainable until the present day, and that considering the time period the Empire came under the greatest amount of stress, no brilliance could save it.

Sure, but retaining a grip on these areas for 2000 years by a country as unstable as Rome is not something I can see happening.

Maybe the Empire reforms? Each province elects it's own governor and senators for a the Roman Senate? I'm sure the areas would have been Romanized like OTL.

You can get a Roman Empire with big dynasty cycles, like China. So, a barbarian dynasty is a must happen if you want to avoid a corrupt and decadent leadership. And, as I just say, the Empire can encompass as many territories as you want, but only de iure, while de facto the Emperor would be almost powerless. That's what I meant when I said HRE-like.

Sulemain

Banned
Maybe the Empire reforms? Each province elects it's own governor and senators for a the Roman Senate? I'm sure the areas would have been Romanized like OTL.

The thing is, the level of sophistication involved to come up with such a system took centuries to develop, which links back to my point earlier. The Roman Empire was structured the way it was due to the time period it existed in; reforms build on each other, and they take time, which, the Roman Empire had plenty of, but not enough.

And I would further argue that such a reform as you suggest wouldn't nearly be enough.

You can get a Roman Empire with big dynasty cycles, like China. So, a barbarian dynasty is a must happen if you want to avoid a corrupt and decadent leadership. And, as I just say, the Empire can encompass as many territories as you want, but only de iure, while de facto the Emperor would be almost powerless. That's what I meant when I said HRE-like.

It wouldnt be Rome anymore though. Just like the Han Dynasty and the Jin Dynasty are two completely separate entities.

It wouldnt be Rome anymore though. Just like the Han Dynasty and the Jin Dynasty are two completely separate entities.

That would be the de facto situation. But the Empire would be the same de iure, politically. Culturally, there would be a Classical Latin dialect kept just like OTL way, while the popular dialects will continue evolving.

A Case of "Eastern Roman" Collapse instead of Western one?

Constantine decides to keep Rome at Italy instead of building Constantinople, He try to reform Italian urban populations instead of rebuilding the new one.

A different Barbarian migration made the Franks and Goths to settle in the Balkans instead of Western Europe.

Huns invade levant, ransacking Sassanids cities in Mesopotamia, and push into Egypt instead of Western Europe. Holy Land fall to the Huns, but Roman legions under Fluvius Aetius try their best to bottle them at Gaza and then Suez, which they failed. Egypt is overrun and sacked, Romans withdraw from Egypt and Choose to reinforce Libyan and Carthaginian coasts instead.

After century as nominal foederati under Roman Empire, the Franks and Goths in the Balkans openly rebelled and took with them the entireity of continental Balkans. Roman presence is limited to Greek cities at the south, Athens, Thebes, and Thessaly are made into fortified Roman strongholds to block the tide of Barbarians, while Roman forts at the Rhine river banks, Helvetia, and Venetia is heavily reinforced.

Italian rejuvenation programes start to get on the right footing, helped by ongoing war that ironically threaten incursions into North Italy and Gallia.

Sassanids oust the Huns from Mesopotamia.

Huns settle in Egypt after finding that marching through libyan Desert is nigh impossible, and they can't compete against Roman navy for now.

A Roman Emperor deny primacy of the Bishop of Rome.

Hephtalites invade northern border of the Sassanids.

Slavs migrate to Germania and try to push into Gallia, but held at Rhine borders by Roman forts.

Angles and Saxons, pushed by the slavs, migrate to British Islands, but the better condition at Gauls means the Romans could afford to reinforce the Britons. Angle-Saxon tribes then settle on formerly Pictish lands in the North of Britannia.

Scotti tribes stayed in Hibernia, adopting a distinct version of Christianity.

... Umm gimme a break, but I must re-freshen my mind about pre-Islamic arabia to get some ideas on how they will react to Hun-Sassanid-Hephtalite wars instead of Roman-Sassanian one