Attila, Roman Emperor

What if Valentinian decided to give in to Attila and allow him to marry his sister Honoria? Perhaps he doesn't wish to tempt Attila. I expect him to at least have the balls to have Attila convert, probably also keep the throne for himself, or maybe co-rule(though if he knows that Attila killed his brother, Bleda, to become the Hunnic King, he might be willing to let Attila become Emperor, if only to save his life).

This would probably give new life to the Western Empire, considering that Attila was a much better ruler than most of the contemporary Emperors, especially militarily. Also, he would've kept Aetius around (possibly arranging a marriage between the two families), a good thing, considering Aetius' skill.

I don't think it would have happened. that wasn't how the game was played, and the Barbarians knew it (look at Stilicho and so many other masters of soldiers). However, if Attila had married into the imperial family, he could have become an important part of the Romanm power eliote. If he managed to keep his close friendship with Aetius alive, thec two between them could probabnly have controlled whatever emperorheld the throne. THe rest is a question of 'what would they want'. My personal bvest-case (and I have considerable respect for Attila, though I still think he was a bit of a b*****d):

- 'Valentinianic' rather than 'Theodosianic' (ie more tolerant) religious policies

- a steppe nation integrated into the Christian Koine, with a missionary impact to be felt in Central Asia for centuries to come. By the time Islam arrives, the Turks and Mongols could be Christian already.

- Consolidation among the barbarian nations, with a stronger Visigothic kingdom, no Franks, and a much slowed and weakened Slavic migration.

- Rome keeps an emperor for a bit longer. Maybe the Visigothic kings can eventually slip into a direct succession.

I don't see the Hunnic empire lasting all that long. It was too much the product of shifting alliances and victorious conquest. HOweverm, give it another 30-50 years and you could accomplish lots.