No USS MAINE incident

WI the USS MAINE hadn't blown up mysteriously in Havana harbour in 1898 ? Would the Spanish-American War still have eventuated somehow, given the levewl of tensions between Washington and Madrid over Cuba ?

I very much doubt it. I doubt that relations between Washington and Madrid were too strained on a diplomatic level. Where things were entirely out of had were where Hearst and Pultizer controlled the presses. Tho, with that in mind, if the USS Maine had blown up while at a Florida port, the Spanish may still have been blamed for it. I don't quite see McKinley making any major effort to place America in harms way.

Civil War WI

WI Spain & Porto Rico had still belonged to Spain in the Thirties, How would the CW have affected them?. What would the US reponse have been.

David S Poepoe said:
I very much doubt it. I doubt that relations between Washington and Madrid were too strained on a diplomatic level. Where things were entirely out of had were where Hearst and Pultizer controlled the presses. Tho, with that in mind, if the USS Maine had blown up while at a Florida port, the Spanish may still have been blamed for it. I don't quite see McKinley making any major effort to place America in harms way.

I disagree. The Spanish-American War was the project of a handful of powerful individuals that would have found some other pretext, and the situation in the Spanish empire was volatile enough that something would have triggered it sooner or later, given the presence of Cuba and Puerto Rico in "our" sphere.