Longer lasting Empire

Faeelin

Banned
Let's say Napoleon slows down after Tilsit. Spain isn't invaded, Austria is brought to heel, and western germany and italy settle down under the emperor.

Say he dies in 1830. How do you see it collapsing?

Personally, I see a bourguise (sp) nationalist rising in Germany with British support, but Italy might well remain part of the French Empire for decades, and may never be united. British investment might be effected, too. Does it go to America or Latin America?

If you're going to do dead-post necromancy on a year and half old post that got no replies, it ought to be more than just the word bump, and a suggestion others discuss it.

The French need some way to entice/force the British to offer a peace treaty. In our timeline, the British didn't really have to invade the continent, as their embargo had a profound effect on France and the other countries occupied or allied with Napoleon. Perhaps the British are destroyed at Trafalgar, or at least are forced to retreat, and Nelson is killed? The fear of invasion heightens, and voices in Parliament begin calling for negotiations.
I don't really know what else would make the British call it quits.

I imagine Britain, Russia, and/or Prussia would maintain a military alliance to keep old Nappy true to his word. Spain and France would remain joined at the hip, and one might imagine that France would help Spain retain her empire in the new world, retaking Haiti in the process. Any other ideas?

If the French navy defeated the British, what chance does anyone here think the French have of actually beating the British? Maybe Nappy sends over the Imperial Guard?

unsunghero said:
If the French navy defeated the British, what chance does anyone here think the French have of actually beating the British? Maybe Nappy sends over the Imperial Guard?

What good is the Imperial Guard against the Royal Navy? I know the Imperial Guard had its own marines, but come on now... :eek:

unsunghero said:

Well, deploying the Imperial Guard would allow the French to project their power in French coastal waters up to waist depth. Any deeper and I suspect there would be a problem with the Guard keep their powder dry. However, I would concede that an engagement between a British first rate line of battle ship and French Guardsmen firing through the surf would be one sided.

David S Poepoe said:
Well, deploying the Imperial Guard would allow the French to project their power in French coastal waters up to waist depth. Any deeper and I suspect there would be a problem with the Guard keep their powder dry. However, I would concede that an engagement between a British first rate line of battle ship and French Guardsmen firing through the surf would be one sided.

They would have wooden shoes so as to walk on water :)

But, actually, I was wondering if a Franco/Spanish victory at Trafalgar and the loss of Nelson would weaken the British Navy enough so that the French could affect a landing on the British Isles - hence the Imperial Guard being sent over.

Redbeard

Banned
unsunghero said:
They would have wooden shoes so as to walk on water :)

But, actually, I was wondering if a Franco/Spanish victory at Trafalgar and the loss of Nelson would weaken the British Navy enough so that the French could affect a landing on the British Isles - hence the Imperial Guard being sent over.

If Napoleons power over the continent consolidates he will be have both time and resources to build a navy to challenge the British.

The British might run into problems of keeping their own navy if/when the traditional sources for timber, tar, rope etc. in the Baltic area gets unaccessible, not to mention trade on the continent.

The Empire will need to pass a serious crisis when Napoleon dies, if no capable and accepted crownprince is in place.

So does the King of Rome still die in the 1820's, if not, how is he?

If no clear and strong heir Napoleon's countless family, plus a good number of would-be-Emperor-Marshalls will enter into an ugly dog-fight for power.

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

Faeelin

Banned
unsunghero said:
The French need some way to entice/force the British to offer a peace treaty. In our timeline, the British didn't really have to invade the continent, as their embargo had a profound effect on France and the other countries occupied or allied with Napoleon. Perhaps the British are destroyed at Trafalgar, or at least are forced to retreat, and Nelson is killed? The fear of invasion heightens, and voices in Parliament begin calling for negotiations.
I don't really know what else would make the British call it quits.

Economic embargo. Napoleon's continental system was working, actually; it's just that the invasion of Spain opened up the Latin American markets to him. But still, there was a time when America's markets, and Latin America's, and most of Europe's were closed, and Britain's economy was collapsing. Look at the Luddites, frex.

Faeelin

Banned
Redbeard said:
So does the King of Rome still die in the 1820's, if not, how is he?

If no clear and strong heir Napoleon's countless family, plus a good number of would-be-Emperor-Marshalls will enter into an ugly dog-fight for power.

The King of Rome was stuck in Vienna, in which every other person got TB. (Not quite). If raised in Paris or along the sunny Riviera, he's less likely to die.

Redbeard

Banned
Faeelin said:
The King of Rome was stuck in Vienna, in which every other person got TB. (Not quite). If raised in Paris or along the sunny Riviera, he's less likely to die.

What do we know about his personality, was he smart, a leader?

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

Wendell said:
Bump. This is worthy of discussion.
Yes, it is. Thou, “Napoleon settling down” seems to preclude the Ottoman and/or Austrian Empires being carved up into Napoleonic Kingdoms…