WI Cocaine legalized in 1970's

Straha

Banned
I read a while back that the American medical association considered
calling for the legalisation of cocaine back in the 1970's Suppose it had been what would be the result today. If cocaine had been legalised, would big business have put the Cartel's out business. In the same way Corparate America priced the Mob out of Vegas. What is the result of greater substance on the American economy? As cocaine becomes easier to get Vesus, the cost of fighting the cartels. in money and lives. Does this Change US latin American policy. Does the Crack cocaine epidemic occur? Or is it worse? does crime fall or go through the roof. Do other countries follow suit?

Not going to happen

Yes I recall there was a time cocaine was considered by some to be a "soft drug". I cannot see the AMA making anything more than a halfhearted and bitterly controversial declaration that cocaine posed less of a public health threat than opiates and that decriminilization should be considered. Cocaine would not be legalized anywhere but a few states would substantially reduce the criminal penalties for mere possession of small amounts. Later when crack comes around some of these states would reconsider their "reform".

NapoleonXIV

Banned
I'd be dead:D

No, truthfully, the US saves literally trillions of dollars in lost revenue, lost taxes, and particularly the cost of crime. The main thing that caused the huge increase in murders and other violent crimes against property toward the mid 80's was the crack epidemic, which was caused by people needing money for it, not the drug itself. Well, ok, somewhat by the drug, since the drug gave one an overwhelming desire for more coupled with a release of inhibition and/or divorce between actions and results.

The only reason it declined is that it's self-limiting, the addicts started to kill themselves off quicker than the addiction could spread and the crime bosses started to realize that not only were they losing their customers but actually causing an outcry for effective law enforcement against violent crime which in the end would have led to legalization, and the utter end of drug cartels of any type.