The Fuhrer makes it to Argentina or Ireland

Dunash

Banned
The only two countries that offered condolences to the German people on the death of Hitler were Argentina and Ireland. Peron & De Valera were both big Germanophiles and sympathetic towards Hitler. If Hitler had escaped to Buenos Aires or Dublin, claiming asylum, would they have refused to hand him over to the vengeful allies, or at least delay by years his extradition? Or would the Allies dare to actually invade to extract him?

Dunash said:
The only two countries that offered condolences to the German people on the death of Hitler were Argentina and Ireland. Peron & De Valera were both big Germanophiles and sympathetic towards Hitler. If Hitler had escaped to Buenos Aires or Dublin, claiming asylum, would they have refused to hand him over to the vengeful allies, or at least delay by years his extradition? Or would the Allies dare to actually invade to extract him?

Well, if Hitler escaped to Ireland, I think Britain would have been over there in a heartbeat, and Ireland simply had no capacity to resist. So it would have been exceedingly stupid for Ireland to offer Hitler asylum in the first place. And I don't think Argentina would have, either. I can see Peron possibly allowing Hitler to secretly flee to Argentina and then hiding him (as the Argentines did for other Nazis) but it would not have been any kind of formal arrangement of asylum. Hitler would have been much too much of a "hot potato" for anything like that. Possibly he, instead of Eichman, is captured by the Israelis in the 1960s and hanged at Tel Aviv?

NapoleonXIV

Banned
They might very well invade, yes. Neither Argentina nor Ireland would be much of a problem to the Postwar US. It would be utterly insane even if no invasion was guaranteed, as the country would be made a complete pariah for very little reason. What could Hitler offer?

The reason so many former SS went to Paraquay was that it was already a closed country at the time, and even there I don't think the government openly admitted to it.

Last edited:
NapoleonXIV said:
They might very well invade, yes. Neither Argentina nor Ireland would be much of a problem to the Postwar US. It would be utterly insane even if no invasion was guaranteed, as the country would be made a complete pariah for very little reason. What could Hitler offer?

The reason so many former SS went to Paraquay was that it was already a closed country at the time, and even there I don't think the government openly admitted to it.

Pretty much, yes. The country that was stupid enough to do that has made themselves instant enemies of the US, the USSR and the British Empire. Ireland would last days and the government might be overthrown by its own population who had little love for Hitler. Argentina has it a little better being a dictatorship and being farther away from the US then Ireland is from the UK. However that is merely a delay of a few days as both countries would be quickly overrun.