King Louis I of England

I just saw this on Terry Jones' Medieval Lives tonight. Apparently for about a year after the death of King John the French Duaphin Louis was King of England. He'd been invited over by the English barons when John had given the crown to the Pope in the course of a dispute and it was the Pope's support that meant Henry III and his faction gained the English throne. According to Jones while Louis wasn't crowned he did whealed all the powers usually associated with the Kingship.

So what if Louis and the barons won instead of Henry and the Pope.

Faeelin

Banned
Henry will win because the nobles see a young boyking as a better choice than a french conqueror. Have john live instead of having henry take over and louis wins.

England falls into the capetian bag, and unless something goes seriously wrong, they dominate western europe.

To be exact, Louis was certainly not a "Dauphin". ;)
At this time, the Dauphin was the ruler of the "Viennois", west of Savoy...

That said, I used to play with this but, yes, Henry III would probably win!

glz

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Landshark said:
I just saw this on Terry Jones' Medieval Lives tonight. Apparently for about a year after the death of King John the French Duaphin Louis was King of England. He'd been invited over by the English barons when John had given the crown to the Pope in the course of a dispute and it was the Pope's support that meant Henry III and his faction gained the English throne. According to Jones while Louis wasn't crowned he did whealed all the powers usually associated with the Kingship.

So what if Louis and the barons won instead of Henry and the Pope.

Ah, this is Simon de Montfort land ? I don't know if it is, but I remember reading about THAT period anyway. De Montfort as the leader of the faction had de facto control for a while. The Pope didn't like it, that rightful king kinda stuff. Louis got sent, nobles had to swear to this foreigner, he ended up ravaging the South for victuals, puts the lie to no invasion since 1066

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf said:
Ah, this is Simon de Montfort land ? I don't know if it is, but I remember reading about THAT period anyway. De Montfort as the leader of the faction had de facto control for a while. The Pope didn't like it, that rightful king kinda stuff. Louis got sent, nobles had to swear to this foreigner, he ended up ravaging the South for victuals, puts the lie to no invasion since 1066

Grey Wolf

Oddly enough Jones' two theories as to why no one has ever heard of "King" Louis were that he was never crowned (but niether was Edward VIII) and that nobody wanted to admit to another French invasion.

Anyway where the Hell have you been!? :mad: I was just getting ready to post a poll asking "Where's Grey Wolf?" the options being:

a) He's been handpicked for a secret mission by Tony Blair and has parachuted into North Korea armed only with a dinner jacket and a copy of Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire that turns into a minisub.

b) A class of six year olds went Lord of the Flies on him and ate him.

c) He was badly mauled in a freak skunk measuring accident.

d) He's been abducted by aliens and after they've got through gang probing him he'll come back with the ability to stick to fridge magnets, or possibly as a woman depending on how drunk the little grey mendicants were.

But enough of this! Hi yourself to Sargon's Stronghold where I have been posting in the Roman and TV SciFi boards and make yourself useful. Or have a look here Byzantines Ahoy! which is, well exactly the same question.

And Grey Wolf! Make haste for the badger parade is in but half an hour!

Sorry, slight Harry Hill flashback there :eek:

Last edited:

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Landshark said:
Anyway where the Hell have you been!? :mad: I was just getting ready to post a poll asking "Where's Grey Wolf?" the options being:

a) He's been handpicked for a secret mission by Tony Blair and has parachuted into North Korea armed only with a dinner jacket and a copy of Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire that turns into a minisub.

b) A class of six year olds went Lord of the Flies on him and ate him.

c) He was badly mauled in a freak skunk measuring accident.

d) He's been abducted by aliens and after they've got through gang probing him he'll come back with the ability to stick to fridge magnets, or possibly as a woman depending on how drunk the little grey mendicants were.

b) is closest at the school I'm working at at the moment !!!

But the answer is more prosaic, the transformer for my modem blew up so I had to wait for the cable co to send me a new one, then had to go to find it when the courier couldn't be bothered to leave it with a neighbour

Have to run, the brats, the brats !

Grey Wolf

De Montofrt was a few decades later, leading another barons' revolt.

I have to agrree with Scott, kepp John alive and the capetians will win. John still had mercenaies, but none of the engluish barons (with insignificant exceptions) were still willing to fight for him, and those who had forced teh magan Carta on him knew him too well to think they had any chance of survival other than ensuring that a different king assumed the throne, and Louis was all they had.

This might also help the Scots and Welsh, both of which had allied with loiuis and might benefit from England's ruler being further away.