AGENT OF BYZANTIUM- Harry Turtledove

Just came across this title in a 2nd-hand bookshop this afternoon- looks like Turtledove's 1st AH book, all about how Byzantium by the 14th C is still a flourishing major power not having to worry about rival powers, since Mohammed has become an Orthodox saint after converting to Christianity, hence no rise of an Islamic empire to challenge Byzantine rule in Anatolia and the Mideast. The Byzantines also are strong enough to forcefully expel barbarians from Italy and Spain. Anybody read this book ?

I hope there ain't nobody who's already posted on this text.

I've read two of the Byzantium short stories: the one with Mohammed, and the one where Argyros is sent to Alexandria to settle the trade union strike. I found both the be pretty good, but I haven't been able to find the collection anywhere.

Isaac Asimov's foreword

There's also in AGENT OF BYZANTIUM a foreword by Isaac Asimov on writing AH, where he posits his favourite WI scenario re how hist would've been different had FDR signed the order for nuclear weapons research and the Manhattan Project on 8th Dec 1941 instead of 6th as in OTL (which was a Saturday).

Melvin Loh said:
There's also in AGENT OF BYZANTIUM a foreword by Isaac Asimov on writing AH, where he posits his favourite WI scenario re how hist would've been different had FDR signed the order for nuclear weapons research and the Manhattan Project on 8th Dec 1941 instead of 6th as in OTL (which was a Saturday).

Eh? What did he think would be different?

The difference in timing would've been significant in thjat, had FDR not signed on the Sat of 6th Dec, and waited until the start of the following week, he mighn't have had the opportunity to sign it at all the following Mon, given that Pearl Harbour happens on Sun.