Hamilton survives

What if in random chance Burr misses and Hamilton hits Burr, ending the duel in a Hamilton victory. What happens from here, note that Burr doesn't necessarily have to die though its likely due to the weapons and medicine of the day.

First of all, there's no evidence supporting that Hamilton even shot at Burr. In fact, most witnesses say that he fired straight up into the air. Had he killed Burr, however, he would not have been liked by the general public all that much more than Burr was following OTL's duel.

NapoleonXIV

Banned
If Hamilton survived we'd start our history with a national bank. While I'm not versed enough in economics to know the precise effect I'm pretty sure it would have a positive effect on the speed and degree of our economic development throughout the 19thc. It would probably obviate or even stave off most of the recurring depressions for one thing and almost certainly prevent the Civil War since it would give the Fed much greater power from the beginnning.

I think Burr would limp off to go filibustering in the first Texas revolution around 1814. He'd probably come to an ignominious end there, altho if he somehow hooked up with Napoleon's brother and the same Americans he was going to take over Louisiana with.....

Last edited:

NapoleonXIV

Banned
Would Hamilton have let Jefferson abolish his child w/o a fight? I also think that Hamilton would have been a President himself sometime.

It was Jackson.

Jackson destroyed the National Bank.

Hamilton fired into the air, as at that late date duels were all show, to satisfy honor. Both participants fired into the air, then went home. Hamilton followed etiquette, and Burr fired a bullet into him. That's why he was so reviled afterwards, it was a "cheap shot".

So lets assume that

a) Hamilton actually fires but only wounds Burr

or

b) Burr "follows the rules" and fires into the air.