AH Challenge

Get the overwhelming majority of China to be either Christian or Islamic (if you're feeling quirky, you could go for Zoroastrianism). Your POD has to be after, say, Muhammed's death (632, IIRC).

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
DominusNovus said:
Get the overwhelming majority of China to be either Christian or Islamic (if you're feeling quirky, you could go for Zoroastrianism). Your POD has to be after, say, Muhammed's death (632, IIRC).

Maybe its not too difficult with Islam - if you have China break up into little states then you can have conquest form the West (out of Central Asia), maybe gradual and even disunited but effectiove in effect

Grey Wolf

Xen

Banned
This is supposed to be a challenge?

Easy, during the 7th Crusade the Mongol Khan Mongke accepts King Louis' invitation to convert to Christianity and issues an order, everyone in his Empire was to convert as well, in an unChristian-like manner Mongke proclaimed anyone who refuses to convert will be beheaded. The religion spreads like wildfire throughout the Mongol Empire, and the Muslim's now have a new Christian enemy trying to reclaim the Holy Land. Unfortunatley for the Muslim's the Mongols and European Christians are too powerful of a force to fight off. Mongke takes the Crusades to not only conquer the Holy Land, but Arabia as well. The campaign against the Muslims of Arabia lasts 100 years when Mecca and Medina are finally sacked by the Mongol Christians.

After the fall of the Holy Cities, Islam began to fade into only pockets of desert dwellers. Arabia becomes Christian following the Coptic Churches doctrine. Another Great Schism divides the Mongol Christians from the western European Christians. The Mongols develop what becomes known as Mongolian Orthodox and embarks on another crusade against India and Southeast Asia. Mongolia's final crusade would be in failure as it attempted to gain a foothold on Japan.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Mabe it is possible in the nineteenth century ? That is more of a challenge. I was thinking that the period 1860s-1880s offers the best POD if the Chinese Empire collapses under the weight of the three rebellions (Muslims, the near-Muslim provinces and the Taiping). Add in France and Britain, Russia and Japan and you could probably have a general collapse of the central authority

Not got time now to think this all out

Grey Wolf

I read about an interesting archeological discovery that found a very early christian church from only a couple of hundred years after Paul. The article theorized that at one point there was a fairly large Chinese Christian community that eventually ran afoul of the necessary allegience to the emperor.

If these early groups determined a way to show the proper deference to the central authority, and to be a stabilizing force in China, it is likely it would have expanded, and there would be a fourth major ancient branch of Christianity (Roman, Orthodox, Coptic and Chinese).

Deleted member 36284

You could have the Taiping Rebellion succeed because their goal was to replace the Monarchy, but also the religion. If they had succeeded China's national religion would become Christianity.

Wolfpaw

Banned
The Taiping Rebellion is both too late and too ASB to convert China to an Abrahamic Faith.

No if you'll excuse me, your necromancy has spread from this Thread, through my keyboard, and into my now rapidly-decaying fingers.