What is CMW world like?

Even in my "toned down" version WW3 was unimaginable to those who did not live through it. Scores of millions died in the first couple days, hundreds of millions died in the weeks and months following. When it is contacted by other timelines, how will it react? It is decades behind in technology, and has a hellish recent history. Is it self conscious and guilty? Is it fascinated by the other worlds? Jealous? Resentful? Does it greet the outtimers or shun them?

I think it would be very much like the world described in Resurrection Day by Brendan DuBois.

Here's a quote from the books description:

"The time is 1972, ten years after the Cuban Missile Crisis escalated into World War III. Russia has been all but obliterated, and many U.S. cities are no more than crater-strewn radioactive ruins. The U.S. relies on Great Britain for medical aid and food, and now exists in a state of martial law, with the government censoring all media. Kennedy and Johnson are presumed dead, although there's an underground of "true believers" who conclude that Kennedy is recovering from injury in a secret spot of safety and will soon rise to take command of a floundering America. The spray-painted words "he lives" can be found all across sides of buildings wherever one walks, but controlling the fate of America is the somewhat fascist General Curtis, who still wields military might."

Also, Americans, in gerneral, and the former personnel of SAC, especially, are disliked by everyone around the world. Everyone in the US appears to be tired and sour, as opposed to the pre-war feelings of happiness and expectation.

IIRC, the book specifically excluded Europe and Britain from the War. With those involved in my CMW, I imagine that things would be much worse.

Straha

Banned
it depends on which ATL it contacts. If it contacts the millenial empire, weapons platforms and imperial troops would pour through the gate and conquer it.

I think it would depend on the attitude of the people who crossed over into the CMW world. If they take the haughty, colonial British-like attitude of pity, and giving out charity to the people of the CMW world, of course the CMW residents will be resentful. If, however, the members of the Interplanar Alliance take an attitude of a "helping hand," and try to stay as unobtrusive as possible, they'll probably be seen in a more favorable light.

These reactions will be altered somewhat, though, as the fascist governments of the CMWW probably won't take kindly to their little spheres of influence and their domination of their people being intruded upon by the Interplanar Alliance. They'll probably run a propaganda campaign against the IA, which, depending on the gullibility of the people, may or may not be successful.

Glen

I think it would be very much like the world described in Resurrection Day by Brendan DuBois.

Here's a quote from the books description:

"The time is 1972, ten years after the Cuban Missile Crisis escalated into World War III. Russia has been all but obliterated, and many U.S. cities are no more than crater-strewn radioactive ruins. The U.S. relies on Great Britain for medical aid and food,

This part's about right.

and now exists in a state of martial law, with the government censoring all media.

Ten years later? I doubt it.

Kennedy and Johnson are presumed dead, although there's an underground of "true believers" who conclude that Kennedy is recovering from injury in a secret spot of safety and will soon rise to take command of a floundering America. The spray-painted words "he lives" can be found all across sides of buildings wherever one walks,

Yeah, can see this.

but controlling the fate of America is the somewhat fascist General Curtis, who still wields military might."

Not likely. This will be a very grim America, but ten years later, it will have certainly been a democratic one.

Also, Americans, in general, and the former personnel of SAC, especially, are disliked by everyone around the world. Everyone in the US appears to be tired and sour, as opposed to the pre-war feelings of happiness and expectation.

That's likely....

"To save the World we had to destroy the World...":eek: