3 party America

Starting in 1929 give us a 3 party US: Liberal, Moderate and Conservative. They have to be comparable to each other.
How else does this change American politics?

I'd like to see this, as the Moderate party would then dominate politics far and wide; after all, the vast majority of Americans are moderates, not liberal or conservative. The latter two would be relegated to second class status in politics, although they would likely dominate politics in some states (conservatives in ID and UT, liberals in MA, etc.).

This topic has come up before. The American policial system strongly encourages a two party system--the reasons why include lack of proportional representation and esp. the Electoral College system of electing a President.
A temporary 3 party split can occur esp. if there are strong regional differences but the forces at work make a collapse into 2 relevant parties and 1 or more irrelevant parties inevitable.

I wonder though, if long term trends aren't towards something along the lines of this POD anyway. The moderates of both parties are getting rather weary of the far wings. At the moment, the Democrats are rather notoriously split up due to the differences between liberals and moderates, and the Republicans are heading in the same direction, due to the undue influence of the (minority) conservatives. It seems to me that the moderates of both parties are finding more in common with each other than with the fringes of their own parties....